• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Your Wheels

Fix14wd

3️⃣ Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2016 Sport DCSB Auto
Blazing Blue Pearl
When you guys lifted your trucks and went with aftermarket wheels, how much did the wheel width factor into your decision? When I install the Falcon leveling kit think I want to stick with a 17" wheel, maybe an 18", but not real sure if the width matters much.

That all depends on what you want to do with the truck. IMO, 18s are the biggest wheel that looks good on the Tacomas.

Off-roading, I want more tire less wheel. I have 17”s now and that’s as big as I will go.

Width was not a huge deal, as I started with nothing so I had to keep it close to stock to not run into issues. Once I get what i want done, I should be on a 17” with around 12.50 width tire. So a 10” wide rim is as large as I need to do so.

And obviously it is totally up to you and what the direction you are taking the truck.

I went with a 16 because I know I’d be doing a lot of off-roading and wanted more wall, but once these tires go out I’ll be going with a 17 and 35s because with my bumpers it will be a lot easier to fit. Personally the only 3 wheels I’d chose from are scs, method, and fifteen52 but that’s preference

Probably going to run a 33" tire. I like more tire myself. Just wondered if the offset and backspacing affected the decision on width as well.

Probably going to run a 33" tire. I like more tire myself. Just wondered if the offset and backspacing affected the decision on width as well.
I read a while ago the ideal backspacing and offset is 4" and 0mm but I don't recall where I read that. I'm sure anything on tirerack would fit well. My friend rubbed a lot with his scs f5's (not sure which offset he had gotten) and then I didn't have any rub at all with my methods and 285/75r16 untill I changed my upper control arms.

Depends how much wheel you want showing over tire, by this i mean how much you want the sidewall of the tire to protrude away from the wheel itself. A lot of crawlers or people who hit rocky trails (me) like a skinnier wheel because it provides more sidewall for the tire to grip with aiding in traction. If you go with a super wide wheel you will run into the issue of damage sometimes to the wheel from rubbing against items like rocks, curbs, etc. Currently im running a 315/75r16 (12.5" wide) tire on a 7" wide wheel which gives me lots of sidewall to grip with. Some people dont advise this because they believe that its too skinny a wheel for that wide of a tire, but they didnt get the name poor mans beadlocks for no reason. Another factor to take into consideration with wheel width is tred. The skinnier your wheel the less tred you will have on the pavement unless aired down lower than normal operating PSI's Having a wide wheel will grant you greater tred contact on the road.

Gotchya. When I had my Scout I was running 33x10.5 on, if I remember correctly, a 15x8 wheel. Seemed like that was a good fit as I was about 50/25/25 highway/offroad/4wheeling. Thinking I'd like to run that size tire again, but not wheel like I did. And I'd like more sidewall for a softer ride anyway.

Depends how much wheel you want showing over tire, by this i mean how much you want the sidewall of the tire to protrude away from the wheel itself. A lot of crawlers or people who hit rocky trails (me) like a skinnier wheel because it provides more sidewall for the tire to grip with aiding in traction. If you go with a super wide wheel you will run into the issue of damage sometimes to the wheel from rubbing against items like rocks, curbs, etc. Currently im running a 315/75r16 (12.5" wide) tire on a 7" wide wheel which gives me lots of sidewall to grip with. Some people dont advise this because they believe that its too skinny a wheel for that wide of a tire, but they didnt get the name poor mans beadlocks for no reason. Another factor to take into consideration with wheel width is tred. The skinnier your wheel the less tred you will have on the pavement unless aired down lower than normal operating PSI's Having a wide wheel will grant you greater tred contact on the road.

Man I’d be lucky to even get that tire mounted where I live. They won’t do it if it is more than 2” wider than wheel. That is also at more than just one tire shop. Apparently it’s uNsAfE

Everyone had good advice so far. I’ll chime in cause I’m bored.

The size is generally about the look when you’re sticking to 18” and less. 18” is still too much wheel for me. If you’re building a truck for wheeling you would want more tire and less wheel, as others stated. If that bling bling look is your taste, I suppose 18” works.

Width decides what tire width you can run, but the same principle applies. 7-9” would be very functional off-road, even on 35s. Much wider wheels start to be more suited to bling.

Backspacing/offset will help with tire rub. Too much of it does start to look ridiculous and isn’t necessary to have.

I’m a basic bitch and run 16”, narrow, 0 offset wheels on 35s. They’re also known as the stock OR wheels. And really aren’t rated for the 35s, lol. But I love it. If I ever upgrade I will stick with 16”, go a little wider to like 8.5”, and figure out the least amount of offset I would need to not rub.

Back