• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

You guys were right!!

Huck89

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Magnetic Gray
When I first joined this forum, meaning of you said that Tacoma world was terrible, but sometimes had a good information, so I still get on there from time to time. I will provide you with a screenshot from one of the jackasses that are on that site and has been responding to a post of mine. I’m sure you will get a kick out of this. Lol. This was in response to the exact same post I put on here regarding which part I should add next (if you haven’t seen it I simply listed the parts I’ve put on and asked what should I add next). I’ll list the parts below for reference. However, this guy said there’s no way I could see a power gain with the parts I’ve added lol.

-Injen Intake
-RIPP Coil Packs
-Oil Catch Can (Doesn’t help or hurt I don’t think)
-URD High Pro Radiator
-URD Power Extractor Pipes
-URD Spec-U Exhaust
(All 4 Cats deleted with the above pipes)
-URD Short Throw Shifter
-Nitro Gears (5.29)
-Pedal Commander
-Pending the KD Max tune next week

Attachments

• 9A9A07C8-940D-4F31-8535-5C11D5D2A0C8.png
    9A9A07C8-940D-4F31-8535-5C11D5D2A0C8.png
    213 KB · Views: 161
He sounded reasonable from his response but came from a place that didn't quite understand the upgrades you had, I believe.

The "extractor pipes" and the U exhaust that removes all the cats improves power by itself. Equivalent to something like bolting on aftermarket headers, if not more. Removing restrictions like that from the exhaust and also opening up the intake adds a few horsepower. Doing so and then getting a tune will see your truck gaining even more power because it can be tuned to properly take advantage of those upgrades.

Nothing at all wrong with wanting long travel, definitely don't let anyone get you down!

I've never heard the term power extractor pipes, that's a new one for me. I've always known them as striaght pipes! Haha. Clever naming.

I think pedal commanders are stupid especially in trucks... That's just me, it can damage your ECU. Don't ask me how cause Idfk how but it happened to someone Ik over here in CT. He needed a whole new ECU in his car (yes Ik not a Tacoma but still gets the point across) cause he had a pedal commander. Idk much about them things, I just don't like them :/

I see intakes in Tacomas a lot. Me personally, yea I kinda want one especially when I get my Carven exhaust system :D

Idk much about URD so I can't give any honest feedback... And it's 5 in the morning for me rn I'm too tired and lazy to do research rn lol

5.29 seems to be the way to go with re-gearing Tacos, after I tune mine I'll probably re-gear it around the same time honestly

Overall, you have a pretty nice build going on. I'd personally swap the Rough Country for literally anything else... Rough Country is just the cheap way to go for lift kits, use them for beaters not for nice trucks especially like yours with all you have done to it haha. Again, really nice rig! :)

He sounded reasonable from his response but came from a place that didn't quite understand the upgrades you had, I believe.

The "extractor pipes" and the U exhaust that removes all the cats improves power by itself. Equivalent to something like bolting on aftermarket headers, if not more. Removing restrictions like that from the exhaust and also opening up the intake adds a few horsepower. Doing so and then getting a tune will see your truck gaining even more power because it can be tuned to properly take advantage of those upgrades.

Nothing at all wrong with wanting long travel, definitely don't let anyone get you down!

I've never heard the term power extractor pipes, that's a new one for me. I've always known them as striaght pipes! Haha. Clever naming.
The Power Extractor Pipes from URD are the headers. I’m not sure why they went with that naming convention, maybe because it’s pulling (extracting) power from the engine, but you’re right it’s clever lol. What aggravated me was that in my initial post I stated only post useful comments I don’t want it to turn into two people arguing back and forth. But some of the people in there are just trolling and/or have too much time on their hands.

I think pedal commanders are stupid especially in trucks... That's just me, it can damage your ECU. Don't ask me how cause Idfk how but it happened to someone Ik over here in CT. He needed a whole new ECU in his car (yes Ik not a Tacoma but still gets the point across) cause he had a pedal commander. Idk much about them things, I just don't like them :/

I see intakes in Tacomas a lot. Me personally, yea I kinda want one especially when I get my Carven exhaust system :D

Idk much about URD so I can't give any honest feedback... And it's 5 in the morning for me rn I'm too tired and lazy to do research rn lol

5.29 seems to be the way to go with re-gearing Tacos, after I tune mine I'll probably re-gear it around the same time honestly

Overall, you have a pretty nice build going on. I'd personally swap the Rough Country for literally anything else... Rough Country is just the cheap way to go for lift kits, use them for beaters not for nice trucks especially like yours with all you have done to it haha. Again, really nice rig! :)

I didn’t realize that there was such a large number of people who hate the pedal commander. I’ve ran the Pedal Commander and Pedal Monster on the following:

2019 GMC Sierra 2500 - PM
2019 Toyota Tacoma - PC

I’ve loved them, they produce an obvious increase in power. I definitely will be swapping the Rough Country out for the Long Travel. It was on the truck when I purchased it, definitely not the product I would have chosen.

I thought those pedal commander things just shift the mapping. That is, the truck thinks I pushed the pedal farther than I really did.

Doesn't the purpose of the Pedal Commander go away once you have a tune?

Doesn't the purpose of the Pedal Commander go away once you have a tune?

Yes. Throttle control is modified on the tubes out there. The pedal commander at that point is basically just fighting the new tune parameters. Better to just tune and reap the benefits of a complete package.

I installed a PC due to the sluggish factory throttle mapping. It works for my needs.

Nice looking Taco sir.
Build it the way YOU prefer and the way it suits your taste.

I installed a PC due to the sluggish factory throttle mapping. It works for my needs.

Nice looking Taco sir.
Build it the way YOU prefer and the way it suits your taste.
I wish I knew more about the tech side of the mapping and tuning, I would definitely feel better about certain things. Since I lack that knowledge the pedal commander is fine for now, but as a few of the gentleman above the PC is useless when you get a tune, so I’m praying that a good tune will eliminate the need for the PC.

When I first joined this forum, meaning of you said that Tacoma world was terrible, but sometimes had a good information, so I still get on there from time to time. I will provide you with a screenshot from one of the jackasses that are on that site and has been responding to a post of mine. I’m sure you will get a kick out of this. Lol. This was in response to the exact same post I put on here regarding which part I should add next (if you haven’t seen it I simply listed the parts I’ve put on and asked what should I add next). I’ll list the parts below for reference. However, this guy said there’s no way I could see a power gain with the parts I’ve added lol.

-Injen Intake
-RIPP Coil Packs
-Oil Catch Can (Doesn’t help or hurt I don’t think)
-URD High Pro Radiator
-URD Power Extractor Pipes
-URD Spec-U Exhaust
(All 4 Cats deleted with the above pipes)
-URD Short Throw Shifter
-Nitro Gears (5.29)
-Pedal Commander
-Pending the KD Max tune next week

For gains, did you make any claims? HP numbers? State you could feel a difference in performance?
At face value depending on what you may have said I could see why he said what he said.
Without actual numbers and certain modifications, what you say could just be subjective.
Where his statement you shared could just be objective and he's just stating his opinion from his side. To me this also seems pretty reasonable. Then seeing it from his side. Just my thoughts on this with 20+ years of actively being around forums as a user/moderator/admin. No judgement or anything. Have to remember they are mostly opinions until proven with actual facts.

A lot of things could be mental. You like it. You got it. It might feel better/more, but it could just be mental. The only way to know for for is to get a baseline dyno then re-dyno after each individual mod. Weather and environment would have to be the same. Also take into account for the current state of the vehicle. Can take this as technical as anyone wants. Then each mod provides different results for each vehicle, type of vehicle. I'll admit, I fool myself all the time to justify why I did something.

Some of the modifications you have listed are negligible. That's just what I believe and it comes from experience.
My thoughts on parts without before/after dyno.

Intakes - I always got one. Just because I was just used to the noise. Just throatier. Does it actually improve performance? Not sure. I might have thought I felt it be more "responsive" or it pulled better top end because I spent the money on it and took the time to install it. But it's just a butt dyno. I used to have an all motor build and I know it made a difference in that vehicle. If you look at Injen's dyno for the intake, it shows the humidity level was higher when they dyno'ed the stock truck. 8% humidity. We can't accurately tell how much of a performance loss the vehicle would experience, but that is more water in the air which does lower hp numbers.

RIPP Coil Packs - These guys just invented a revolutionary coil pack that just gains 10-20whp. Like most people, I'd have to see it in person. What other variables were different between their dyno pulls? So it's 10whp minimum up to 20whp in every vehicle? Bold claim I guess. Why wasn't it done before?

Oil Catch Cans - If a little oil would harm the vehicle, the manufacturer would have built them in. Those million mile vehicles, I bet they don't even bother. It's an insignificant amount of oil that gets in, might be lubing something in there and helping, dries out, burns off over time. Just makes you feel like it does something. Down side, it could negatively affect pressure in some cases.

Radiators - I feel manufacturers optimized performance of radiators. Usually the purpose of need is if the vehicle is being reconfigured or it's required and actually improves cooling. Sure the new radiator might cool better, but does the vehicle need it? We don't know for sure.

I/H/E - Sound faster, yes. RACEKORR! With lower compression vehicles, I always worried larger diameter could lead to a loss in needed backpressure. Depending on what modifications, might be ok. Others, it might impact it negatively or shift the power band. This one would definitely need dynoed before and after one the same vehicle and same conditions. Restrictions aren't always a bad thing.

Short Throw Shifter - It's gonna feel like a performance gain. Shorter throws. Snappier with new solid bushings all around. Angle maths reductions. You'll definitely feel a difference. But I wouldn't consider it a gain.

Gears - You're gonna feel it.

PC - It's an illusion. They trick you and your truck. Lol. Some sarcasm here, but yeah it does reduce delays and increase responsiveness. I wouldn't list this as a gain either. Might feel better, but ultimately the vehicle is the same performance wise before and after.

So we know what a base factory Tacoma dyno should be. You just have to get tuned and get some numbers. Once you present the numbers, you might just prove him wrong. From your modifications, it seems your goals are more for making it more fun to drive performance wise. Where Tacomas usually aren't modded for that purpose. Sometimes they do, but it's not a common platform one would choose to go that route. Might just be his opinion that Tacomas are just trucks, when you do stuff to them it should add to the utility benefit of the vehicle.

Based on your mod list alone and taking function of those parts into consideration, to me that's a tuner vehicle. Making a practical everyday vehicle quick and fun without forced induction. Which would make you one that goes against the grain. When you do that, you just have to talk that shit. He's just going to try to shoot down your posts because it's not the norm. You'll just have to boost.

For gains, did you make any claims? HP numbers? State you could feel a difference in performance?
At face value depending on what you may have said I could see why he said what he said.
Without actual numbers and certain modifications, what you say could just be subjective.
Where his statement you shared could just be objective and he's just stating his opinion from his side. To me this also seems pretty reasonable. Then seeing it from his side. Just my thoughts on this with 20+ years of actively being around forums as a user/moderator/admin. No judgement or anything. Have to remember they are mostly opinions until proven with actual facts.

A lot of things could be mental. You like it. You got it. It might feel better/more, but it could just be mental. The only way to know for for is to get a baseline dyno then re-dyno after each individual mod. Weather and environment would have to be the same. Also take into account for the current state of the vehicle. Can take this as technical as anyone wants. Then each mod provides different results for each vehicle, type of vehicle. I'll admit, I fool myself all the time to justify why I did something.

Some of the modifications you have listed are negligible. That's just what I believe and it comes from experience.
My thoughts on parts without before/after dyno.

Intakes - I always got one. Just because I was just used to the noise. Just throatier. Does it actually improve performance? Not sure. I might have thought I felt it be more "responsive" or it pulled better top end because I spent the money on it and took the time to install it. But it's just a butt dyno. I used to have an all motor build and I know it made a difference in that vehicle. If you look at Injen's dyno for the intake, it shows the humidity level was higher when they dyno'ed the stock truck. 8% humidity. We can't accurately tell how much of a performance loss the vehicle would experience, but that is more water in the air which does lower hp numbers.

RIPP Coil Packs - These guys just invented a revolutionary coil pack that just gains 10-20whp. Like most people, I'd have to see it in person. What other variables were different between their dyno pulls? So it's 10whp minimum up to 20whp in every vehicle? Bold claim I guess. Why wasn't it done before?

Oil Catch Cans - If a little oil would harm the vehicle, the manufacturer would have built them in. Those million mile vehicles, I bet they don't even bother. It's an insignificant amount of oil that gets in, might be lubing something in there and helping, dries out, burns off over time. Just makes you feel like it does something. Down side, it could negatively affect pressure in some cases.

Radiators - I feel manufacturers optimized performance of radiators. Usually the purpose of need is if the vehicle is being reconfigured or it's required and actually improves cooling. Sure the new radiator might cool better, but does the vehicle need it? We don't know for sure.

I/H/E - Sound faster, yes. RACEKORR! With lower compression vehicles, I always worried larger diameter could lead to a loss in needed backpressure. Depending on what modifications, might be ok. Others, it might impact it negatively or shift the power band. This one would definitely need dynoed before and after one the same vehicle and same conditions. Restrictions aren't always a bad thing.

Short Throw Shifter - It's gonna feel like a performance gain. Shorter throws. Snappier with new solid bushings all around. Angle maths reductions. You'll definitely feel a difference. But I wouldn't consider it a gain.

Gears - You're gonna feel it.

PC - It's an illusion. They trick you and your truck. Lol. Some sarcasm here, but yeah it does reduce delays and increase responsiveness. I wouldn't list this as a gain either. Might feel better, but ultimately the vehicle is the same performance wise before and after.

So we know what a base factory Tacoma dyno should be. You just have to get tuned and get some numbers. Once you present the numbers, you might just prove him wrong. From your modifications, it seems your goals are more for making it more fun to drive performance wise. Where Tacomas usually aren't modded for that purpose. Sometimes they do, but it's not a common platform one would choose to go that route. Might just be his opinion that Tacomas are just trucks, when you do stuff to them it should add to the utility benefit of the vehicle.

Based on your mod list alone and taking function of those parts into consideration, to me that's a tuner vehicle. Making a practical everyday vehicle quick and fun without forced induction. Which would make you one that goes against the grain. When you do that, you just have to talk that shit. He's just going to try to shoot down your posts because it's not the norm. You'll just have to boost.
Bro…your wrote a novel lol. I’ll have to carve out some time to read this someday lol

Back