• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Yakima Overhaul HD Rack or (Insert Brand Here) Full Bed Rack

Backbowl

3️⃣ Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2019 Pro DCSB Manual
White
I'm interested in getting some opinions here. I'm in the early stages of finding a bed rack and I find myself gravitating to a couple of options.

Anyone have any experience with the Yakima Overhaul HD Rack? I'm contemplating over getting a Overhaul HD (Yes I understand it's not really even a rack since you have to buy the HD Bar too) or getting rack from a Fab shop of some sort... Maybe full bed racks like RCI or Voodoo rack etc. What is odd is the Overhaul HD says it can hold up to 500lbs static but if you have even a 100lb tent, there is likely no way you can hold 3 people. My local rack store in Portland says, it can hold probably double that but 500lbs is what is's certified for. They claim tents should not be an issue.

Any Advice? I have a Pro double cab and a short bed. My order of priorities are:
1. Can hold a 3-4 person RTT tent (depending on tent size, the tent may have to hang a bit over the cab). I don't plan on doing anything too crazy with off-roading. This will predominately used for ease and to get off the main beaten path so no major off-roading but maybe a bit. I don't plan on climbing boulders or modding the truck too much from stock.
2. Ease of mounting/removal. I still use the bed for some home projects and hauling everyday stuff. I may take it on/off a few times a year. This can be done with a full bed rack too but it is certainly easier to do it with one that comes off in pieces but not a ton of pieces.
3. Much lower on the priority list is. I like not having items in my bed exposed. It would be great to have a cover of some sort. I'm not too worried about the security side of it so even a soft bed cover is fine. I just don't want my strollers, cheapo tools or cables visibly and easily accessible for anyone to help themselves.

For what you get the Yakima seems much more pricey than some of the other options out there. If you are wanting more of a bar setup and now a full bed rack have you looked into the CBI Overland Bars at all? They will hold a tent and are pretty easy to install and remove.

The other option would be a full bed rack like RCI, KB VooDoo, Leitner Designs, CBI, Victory 4x4, etc. Some of those racks are relatively easy to remove and install if you are only wanting to do it a few times per year.

One thing to keep in mind is that you are wanting to run a 3-4 person tent which is on the larger side. All of the options mentioned above vary in terms of height. You'll want to consider the height of the bed bars/bed rack combined with the tent and make sure you are okay with it.

Back