• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Would you attempt to fix this scratch yourself or bring it somewhere?

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
I did this with a bolt while removing my RTT from the OEM roof racks a long time ago. I was very reckless back then and I hate myself for not being more careful.

Do you think it could be fixed at home or should I definitely bring it to a body shop?

42F1ABF8-D7F9-4064-AE20-7505FD1CA992.jpeg
625157B4-E0C4-4CD2-8774-88512C604869.jpeg
8ACBF1C6-68FF-4EDE-84D3-A7A3194FE3CB.jpeg

Personally I’d take it to someone. Paint/ bodywork is not my forte. I feel like I could get it better but not perfect.

Upvote 0
Personally I’d take it to someone. Paint/ bodywork is not my forte. I feel like I could get it better but not perfect.
Same. I’ve done minor stuff but this one is kind of deep. The body on my truck is not and will never be perfect again so I could consider trying this myself if someone here has some good advice for me. Otherwise I might need to bring it somewhere.

Upvote 0
Same. I’ve done minor stuff but this one is kind of deep. The body on my truck is not and will never be perfect again so I could consider trying this myself if someone here has some good advice for me. Otherwise I might need to bring it somewhere.

Like most things I’d call around and see how much they even charge to fix it. Then if it’s a reasonable price, I’d probably have them do it. If it seems high I’d probably take the risk and try fixing it my self. Example would be welding, the guys around me want $150-250 just to run a few lines. It was easier for me to teach my self and spend $300 on a decent welder, then I have the knowledge (and tools) to do it again!

It’s also more fun to do it yourself, if you have to.

Upvote 0
If its rusting its down to the metal. Likely a repaint. Unless you are a real badass airbrushing

Upvote 0
Okay, thanks for the info.
They wouldnt blend , as there is a break between panels , and if you wanna try something your self I would sand it clean up the rust (if any left after sanding) with some rust begone shot of , then vynal the roof with a heavy vynal it will in most case help protect your paint from further RTT incidents

Upvote 0
The entire top with bed liner will protect the top and help with sound deading.

Upvote 0
Back