• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Electrical Wiring "stuff" in the Tacoma

UnpavedPreferred

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
I have rock lights that I need to mount in my sliders. I'm expecting adding other lights to the truck and eventually a winch. Most of my experience in electrical work within automobiles are in the car audio department. I have a switch (MICTUNING) for the rock lights. I tried searching here and on TW regarding a semi defined means to wire in the switch and have it light up with the dash lights when the headlights are on.

Any other recommendations on the dash light option other than taping the bed light switch (I'm fine with just wondering if something else).

I'm thinking a powertray and blue sea 6 circuit should be fine under the hood with rock lights, perhaps a bumper light and a winch.

I've looked through build threads and seen some setups but seemingly picture deep and not much technical explanation behind it. Unless I'm looking in the wrong builds.

This is what I'm thinking for under the hood to add electronics.
Tray:

Power distribution:

I'm not sold on a Switch Pro as that hill seems pretty steep but is there a point in which it makes sense.

I'm no expert but for the handful of things you mention I think SwitchPro is overkill, not to mention $$$. If you want such a system you might consider the Trigger 4 wireless setup. Also, I defer to others but I think you want the winch wired directly.

I know wiring the winch will be separate but overall thinking of how to build out the electronic add ons, without buying stuff twice.

I think a combination of a SwitchPros or sPOD, plus the fuse terminals will cover you for anything now and the future. I have a SwitchPros only and fuses tapped off the battery terminals for the winch, SwitchPros power, DC-DC dual battery charger, and ARB air compressor. Fuse terminals would definitely clean it up for me, but I'm content.

Back