• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Wiper blades?

L

Lava road

possibly a ghost :(
Finally had to replaced wind shield wipers… Costco’s Goodyear blades..$6.99 each..22” & 20”…
Turn out very easy to replaced..

But I saw a couple of YouTube’s videos..showing ‘How to replace just the blades”. ..cost approx $20.00 from Toyota dealers…looks like a very easy thing to do…those springs need to be replace correctly..a left & right side..and notches in the right directions..
Several Tacoma owners says these blade replacements last longer….mine went 3 years…but actually needed sooner…

I kept the original wipers and I will purchase and replace the blade, back-up…after the Goodyears wear out..(Hawaii)

I once own a triple blade wipers the offer a lifetime …it lasted almost 13 years…before the plastic brackets fell apart….but the rubber blades..were still functional..best wiper blades I ever own!
Company went out of business…

Yes I am sure you heard of products that can last a life time..(some honest)….even a 100,000 mile tire was invented…purchase by another tire company…and NEVER seen again…lol
Interstate battery had a 8 year warranty battery…had that in my other truck before I sold it…still going..
Aloha

I found these Goodyear wiper blades to be about average…quantity….they will last for about 6-8 months or so….
Average blades..6-12 months…
For the price at 6.99 each (Tacoma 22”& 20”) and ease of replacing is very easy…hard to beat the Costco pricing..

Remember Everything you buy at Costco will never be over 15% above the cost…many times cheaper.., the 97 cent code..

There are several other brands , I tried in the past…that works better…but twice the pricing or more…

Most vehicles the wiper blades are always expose to the elements/ nature..
Do you remember when the wiper blades were hidden under the hoods? Protected and last longer?

Tacoma wiper blades and location is a terrible design..I get water puddles, and since I park by nearby trees..the leaves pile up..till I hit the highways…
I am sure you guys that live in the snow, find the snow piling up too…
Aloha

Upvote 0
One YouTube video..testing several brands of wipers…show the Bosch Icons out performing the others…

Upvote 0
I always wondered how BFGoodrich WeatherTread or Scrub Blades were. Any experience with those?
Just put the scrub blades on today. They were not expensive, $36 shipped and came 2 days after ordering. I can let you know in a few weeks if interested.

Upvote 0
Just put the scrub blades on today. They were not expensive, $36 shipped and came 2 days after ordering. I can let you know in a few weeks if interested.
Keep us updated. I'll use the same wiper blades for 4-5 years just because they seem ok. Lol. Might as well grab them if they seem to work well.

Upvote 0
I found these Goodyear wiper blades to be about average…quantity….they will last for about 6-8 months or so….
Average blades..6-12 months…
For the price at 6.99 each (Tacoma 22”& 20”) and ease of replacing is very easy…hard to beat the Costco pricing..

Remember Everything you buy at Costco will never be over 15% above the cost…many times cheaper.., the 97 cent code..

There are several other brands , I tried in the past…that works better…but twice the pricing or more…

Most vehicles the wiper blades are always expose to the elements/ nature..
Do you remember when the wiper blades were hidden under the hoods? Protected and last longer?

Tacoma wiper blades and location is a terrible design..I get water puddles, and since I park by nearby trees..the leaves pile up..till I hit the highways…
I am sure you guys that live in the snow, find the snow piling up too…
Aloha
I park under a mulberry tree and right now it's dropping catkins like it's going out of style. Not only are a bunch stuck under the blades but there's at least a cubic foot of them in the bed. If I forget to close the rear window they start flying into the cab. Curse that tree with a thousand caterpillars!

My current set is ok, but likely after this summer they'll be toast and I already got Trico Ultra blades from RockAuto for ~$20 shipped

I've preferred Bosch in the past but I decided to try something new.

Upvote 0
Who invented the automated wind shield wipers for cars?
A lady name Mary Anderson …In 1902 was struck in traffic and it was raining…No wipers then…later she got a patented invention for automatic wipers…and the auto industry change …

When you research how many women invented things and the discoveries women found? WOW!
When you read about the world’s civilization….it is amazingly how a women love …made man change the world….

Our Tacoma MODS…was it for her? Lol
Aloha

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Further research …Silicone wiper blades vs rubber…. It was mentioned Silicone blades have a longer life…measure in years vs rubber ..measure in months..
Silicone blades may cost more..but longer lasting…not recommend for huge changes in temperature climates…
Scotty’ thoughts (YouTube ) supports Silicone wiper blades..and one of his cars lasted for more then 9 years…?

Many Auto part stores may not carry Silicone blades…because they last longer, fewer sales, vs rubber blades..which has a bigger demand , due to short life of rubber made ones…
All about repeat sales…?

That is why it is rare for any manufacturers to make products that will last a lifetime !
Yes many mechanic tools can last a lifetime…my Snap-On friend…mention…I sell a lot of Snap On tools because of the lifetime warranty on my Snap tools….reason why so many repeat sales? Most of those Snap On tools ..comes with legs…. They just walk away from the tool boxes…?
Aloha,

Upvote 0
Just purchase the Toyota Tacomas wiper blades inserts…..those videos showing how easy to replaced those blades? UM?
I struggle with mines…was not easy to push back in..plus the slots on factory was backwards..according to the videos..slot was on top side …videos shows the slots on the bottom…left or right? Does not matter? I think..

Ok after the first one (passenger) …I had to force each holder..4 of them… The driver side…this is what I did …I push just the rubber blade all the way thru…then I push each metal spring , one by one..till it fit..
The metal and rubber…lots of adjustments….

I think I will NEVER do this again….Costco …each wiper $6.99…..Toyota -$24.75…for two blades ..
Costco…I could have purchase 3 complete wiper vs Toyota blades only…plus the Costco - Goodyear wiper blades ..so much simple to replace! Less struggles…
Aloha,

Upvote 0
I prefer the Bosch Icon beam style wiper blades.. they do tend to hop on the lower portion drivers side due to the angle/sweeping motion of the blades in slower/ drizzle wiper speeds but when in a downpour it is not noticeable. I currently run Bosch Snow Driver blades and have not had any issues with them since installing in October.

Upvote 0
Good to know about how the Bosch Icon Bean wiper blades perform for you…. It does snow on our island , but only above the 9,000 and up elevation…the mountain tops..no need for snow blades..lol

Last week was the first time I ever drove ttru really really heavy rains …for about last ten plus miles , my wiper blades was going at the highest speeds…there been times I had to use the fastest speeds…but never for long periods…lol
Those Costco Goodyear blades perform very well for me at those super high speeds…. I will buy them again…sure they last for about six months or so..but at the price of $6.99 each…nice..
Aloha

Rubber wiper blades are measure in months vs Silicone blades are usually measure in years…?

Upvote 0
I have been using the Goodyear (Costco) wiper blades for over 10 years…never fail us…three vehicles…
I consider this a wiper blade that I can trust…! Sure they are average in rubber wiper blade life use..
Most wiper blades (rubber) 6-12 months…average life span…(Goodyear wiper blades can last a year)

Bosch icon & Rain-x wiper blades have very high ratings…Amazon price for Icons were listed at $35.00 for two..Yes there are very excellent wiper blades…they do last a bit longer then most…

I have gone over one year for the Goodyears wiper blades too.. better to replace sooner sometimes..

As mention before the best wiper blades I every use..(NO longer made) was those lifetime triple blades..last over 10 years…the frame broke..but the blades…WOW! Could have gone more..!
Aloha,

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Yes. I just bought the Bosch ICON's. It was tricky finding both 22 and 20's. I had to go to Autozone and O'Reilly's.

Upvote 0
Yes. I just bought the Bosch ICON's. It was tricky finding both 22 and 20's. I had to go to Autozone and O'Reilly's.
What did you pay for them? I noticed mine started to tear. When I searched for a set it was like $70. Is that what it's at now?

Checked again. Seems like $55ish from all the auto stores like Advance Auto, Napa, Autozone.

But a dual pack on Amazon is $35.

1652143323528.png

I'm tempted to buy, pick it up, then just return the ones from Amazon just to swap them quicker...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Costco’s Goodyear wiper blades last month was 7.99 each. Easy to replace them. Can last one year.
Aloha

Upvote 0
What did you pay for them? I noticed mine started to tear. When I searched for a set it was like $70. Is that what it's at now?

Checked again. Seems like $55ish from all the auto stores like Advance Auto, Napa, Autozone.

But a dual pack on Amazon is $35.

1652143323528.png

I'm tempted to buy, pick it up, then just return the ones from Amazon just to swap them quicker...
@bonifacio, Mine were $28 but I got $12 off the set at O'Reilly.
1652144345156.png

Upvote 0
Thanks to this thread, after the monsoon we had last week I had to break down and buy new wipers. I went with the norm Bosch Icon. Back when I worked at Autozone, that I was the wiper I sold the most of. Figured I'd get a set of my own.

Upvote 0
Has anyone tried blades that take silicone refills? They kind of sound like a good idea, but I'm mostly seeing random Chinese refills, which I don't want to use. Plus, I'm afraid the rest of the wiper blade would degrade anyway making it cost just as much. But it would be nice to not have to throw the whole thing away and I could stash refills in the glovebox.

Upvote 0
Keep us updated. I'll use the same wiper blades for 4-5 years just because they seem ok. Lol. Might as well grab them if they seem to work well.
Been using the "heavy duty" Scrub Blade for about 5k miles in heavy rain and 2 off road trips and I can say that they are okay, but I think I like the Bosch Icon better especially for getting heavy crud off the windshield. Figured I would try them because they're about $10 per pair cheaper. Switching back to the Bosch when they are done.

1652536029542.png

Upvote 0
Back