• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Wildpeak at3w’s

Geoffmoney

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Cement
Hello, so I’m trying to upgrade my wheels and tires. I’m getting the trd pro 17 inch wheels and wildpeak at3w in a 265 70 17 but I’m not sure what load range or load index I should get. I won’t be towing things to often or ever and keeping the truck pretty stock for the time being. Any help would be great. Thank you

Load range C would be ideal for comfort. D will be stiffer but last longer. Watch out for E. Too heavy, will ride like a train on a railroad.

Load range C or D if your not armored up and loaded down. I run load E with my KM3's but i run steel armor, am super heavy, and also air down to 8Psi on the dunes (Rides like a cloud btw).

Depending on your setup it will determine what load range works for you.

Hello, so I’m trying to upgrade my wheels and tires. I’m getting the trd pro 17 inch wheels and wildpeak at3w in a 265 70 17 but I’m not sure what load range or load index I should get. I won’t be towing things to often or ever and keeping the truck pretty stock for the time being. Any help would be great. Thank you

I bought Wildpeak AT3W in your exact size P265/70-17. It took a while, but I became disappointed with these tires, after directly comparing them to other tires. I originally bought them for my family rig, 2005 Sequoia. On that truck, I was able to directly compare 4 sets of tires, 3 sets of which were on the same set of factory wheels.

The AT3W in P265 70 17 were the worst riding of the 4 sets of tires, ALL tested at 35 psi, checked by me. They are very jarring at 35psi

While I was having AT3W mounted on the Sequoias stock alloys, I temporarily switched for 300 miles (including offroad) to LT255/80-17 E range Cooper ST Maxx on FJ steelies which I borrowed from my Tacoma, and the Coopers road better than the AT3W which went on. I was puzzled, didn't make sense but the load range E Coopers were significantly nicer to drive.

After about 4,000 miles on the AT3W, I found an online deal on BFG KO2 in LT265/70-17 D range, replaced the AT3W on the same stock wheels, and they were way better riding than the AT3W in the same size, on same wheels, at the same 35 psi. Plus the BFGs were and still are whisper quiet, not so with the buzzy AT3W, and this matters on the family rig. I love the BFGs which now have 17,000 miles on and have only worn about 4/32. I was up in air over swapping the BFGs on, they were sitting in the garage, but after I did I was ecstatic that I switched. The BFGs are a way better tire

I still run the AT3W, but now on my 2005 Tacoma, but I had to drop the pressure down 5psi to 30psi to get them to ride better.
Another negative to the AT3W is the turning snow traction, I noticed the front end tended to slide straight, not turn, on snow. Straightline snow acceleration and braking were acceptable, so the poor snow turning was puzzling and another disappointment.
I feel the AT3W is a popular fad tire, and if someone says they are awesome, well it probably means they haven't compared them back to back to really good tires.

Last edited:
I’ve had bfg ko2’s on my wife’s Lexus gx, previous jeep jlur, and previous 2016 taco. Favorite mid-range off road tire. Quiet on road, supple and comfortable, outstanding snow traction, reasonably good in mud, perfect for sand, tough as nails for rocks and trail riding. They will be my tire of choice for my 2020 trd pro after I break it in just a bit :)

Ride is very subjective - I just moved away from BFG KO2's and installed a set of Falken Wildpeak AT3W in a 265/75/16, and I am very happy with the ride in dry, wet and mild off-roading. Couple in a great pp of $120 a tire (plus T&I) and the fact that I recouped a good amount of my money on the KO2's selling them locally - Win, win in my book!

Last edited:
Back