• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Which to choose?

Keikothetaco

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am mostly new to the thread just hanging back - watching and doing research.

But in saying this, what are your thoughts on if you have a pretty good budget for suspension set up? I am looking into King or Fox. Or if there are any suggestions will gladly hear them. I have a 2016 Off-Road. Thanks!

I’m eyeballing the bilstein B8 series. I’m between those and the King 2.5’s.

You can buy my OEM Fox suspension too 😉

What is your primary goal with the truck? Lots of rock crawling? Trails? Mall-crawling?

Honestly, I don’t think you can go wrong with either Fox or Kings.

What is your primary goal with the truck? Lots of rock crawling? Trails? Mall-crawling?

Honestly, I don’t think you can go wrong with either Fox or Kings.

Long story short - I’m from the west coast Washington state and California - living on the east in NC now. So it will be the every day/ weekend warrior kind of set up I am going for here. But I will be sending the truck back to Cali to our house there for when I’m over there since I haven’t found any great off-roading worth keeping the truck here in NC/east coast for. In Cal, I do a bit of everything from rock crawling to mud to overlanding.

I went with Icon because you can go all out or you can go entry level, or start with the basic kit and work your way up to whatever stage you need. I also didn't feel like piecing together a kit myself, I wanted one manufacturer for the UCA's, shocks, leaf springs, etc.

I went with Icon because you can go all out or you can go entry level, or start with the basic kit and work your way up to whatever stage you need. I also didn't feel like piecing together a kit myself, I wanted one manufacturer for the UCA's, shocks, leaf springs, etc.

gotcha. Ya I like them and looked at them as well how do they ride? I have heard they ride more stiff or am I mistaken?

My truck is still getting put together so I can't answer the ride question for you just yet... but I have a bunch of added weight that may soften up the ride. Will be putting together a full write up of all the mods and components on my truck in the coming months. Covid delayed my build by, iunno, 9 months... :(

ya understandable for sure. Well I am happy for you. At least you can get it all piece together here soon. Looking forward to hear the results for sure and what you think of the ride and how it performs and looks obviously.

Good luck picking out your components. I hear nothing but good things about everything you're already looking at so good luck making the decision!

Good luck picking out your components. I hear nothing but good things about everything you're already looking at so good luck making the decision!

thank you! Ya just wanting to hear people’s opinion on my situation and what they think would the best route would be to take. Thank you for the input really appreciate it.

sent this in a message but figured the thread might appreciate it. Here's a breakdown of the top choices with extreme detail and technical expertise

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKXj0jBenIk

dude has major lockdown hair, but tons of info :D

ya he does lol, I have watched that great extent which is what has helped me narrow it down to the two I am thinking about getting. But thank you he does have a lot of great info for sure.

This video didn't exist when I made my purchase, but I feel I still would have made the same decision. Though I would have maybe considered some of the others he mentions. They all seem like great options and appreciate that most of them are serviceable these days.

Back