• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Which tires to choose? 🤔

TacomaLG

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2018 Sport DCSB Auto
Cement
I have some Goodyear duratracs right now and will most likely replace them.
I don't like the small steering wheel wobble they create. They make some noise for an all terrain. I had BFG KO2 before and they were great.

My top 3 choices are Yokohama Geolander, BFG KM3, or Toyo RT.

I daily drive my truck mostly highway.

Which one do you prefer?

IIRC the Toyo’s are made from a harder compound than the BFG’s so they will likely last a little longer. That being said, the tread depth of the KM3’s is deeper than the RT’s so they might last about the same. Theoretically the harder compound means the Toyo’s would be louder than the BFG’s. I personally didn’t notice the difference in noise between the two.

In most sizes, the RT’s are a couple pounds lighter than the KM3’s - so your fuel mileage will be a touch better going with the Toyo’s.

Given the choice between the two, I would go with the Toyo’s. Simply because I am a Nitto fan and they are made in the same factory. I also like the look of the Toyo more than the BFG and I’m always bent out of shape about unsprung weight.

But to play devils advocate, my father in law has the KM3’s on his daily driven Tundra and he absolutely swears by them.

As for the Yoko’s - has have zero knowledge or experience with them so someone else will have to chime in on those.

IIRC the Toyo’s are made from a harder compound than the BFG’s so they will likely last a little longer. That being said, the tread depth of the KM3’s is deeper than the RT’s so they might last about the same. Theoretically the harder compound means the Toyo’s would be louder than the BFG’s. I personally didn’t notice the difference in noise between the two.

In most sizes, the RT’s are a couple pounds lighter than the KM3’s - so your fuel mileage will be a touch better going with the Toyo’s.

Given the choice between the two, I would go with the Toyo’s. Simply because I am a Nitto fan and they are made in the same factory. I also like the look of the Toyo more than the BFG and I’m always bent out of shape about unsprung weight.

But to play devils advocate, my father in law has the KM3’s on his daily driven Tundra and he absolutely swears by them.

Awesome info thank you so much

I have two cents to give,

3 locals runs toyos and swear by them. Almost fanboi-ish. I’ve seen them work on the trails and not gonna lie, they do the job.

Most of the guys daily theirs too and have had no issues.

I've run km3's previously on my JLUR. Whisper quiet for an MT...for the first 5k miles. They quickly wear and start being a little loud. They also have a very predictable loss of grip (when taking a hard corner, at the point of breaking loose, they do so gradually, not suddenly). Ice and snow traction was only better on the bfg ko2's, otherwise I really liked the tire. They also stayed very balanced with minimal need for rebalancing.

I do think that I'll probably do ko2's when I upgrade, however. Highway driving was noisy, and unless hitting major mud, the bfg at is an awesome all around tire.

I love my Falken Wildpeak A/T3W tires. Had them for almost a year now on many surfaces and they work out really well.

I love my Falken Wildpeak A/T3W tires. Had them for almost a year now on many surfaces and they work out really well.
I've heard great things from those as well.
I'm still leaning towards the Yokohamas. They look really aggressive which I like.

I like my Wildpeaks. Mine is mostly a mall crawler and I’ve driven across a few states with them. The road noise really wasn’t that much more than the Firestone’s that came with the truck.

Back