• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Wheel/Tire planning for a 2" OME lift

dunethetaco

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I've got a stock 2020 TRD OR DCLB that I'm planning on giving a ~2" lift with the Old Man Emu medium load kit.

Wheels
Once the lift is done, I'm looking at a set of 16"x8" Fifteen52 Turbomac HD Classics. It looks like I can choose a back spacing of 4.5" or 4.75".

Tires
For tires, I'm considering BFG KO2's or Falken Wildpeaks.
I know this question has been done to death, but I've seen discussions that these various sizes can fit without any rubbing:
  • 275/75/R16 (32.2")
  • 275/70/R16 (31.2")
  • 265/75/R16 (31.6")
265/75/16 seemed to be the safest bet, although I'd prefer the extra height (.6") of the 275/75/R16 if that would work.

Questions
  1. What backspacing should I choose between 4.5" or 4.75"? How will that affect rubbing and tire size?
  2. Knowing the backspacing of the wheels, what tire size should I go with? I'd consider myself a weekend warrior, driving mostly easy forest service roads, but definitely have spots where I have to do some rock crawling. If this is too difficult to guess at over the internet, should I bring the wheels to Discount Tire and have them match and test in person?
  3. I'm used to AWD cars where all the wheels need their treads matched and a full-size spare is required. Should I get a fifth wheel and tire, or is the stock wheel under the truck sufficient?

1) 4.5 should be fine
2) smaller tire will be more driveable, but the larger tire will be fine. You might rub a bit on easily trimmable areas (back of front bumper), but you're already into modifying your truck--no biggie.
3) I like having a full sized spare. If I'm ripping up a tire and get a flat, I want the spare to be, if anything, tougher than the one I just ripped up.

Back