• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Wheel spec confusion

mgmyota

6️⃣ Aficionado
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
I’m looking at getting scs ray 10’s. Looking at their website though they offer them in 17x8.5 with 4.30 backspacing and 17x9 with 3.50 backspacing. I’m not very knowledgeable about wheel specs so I’m wondering if there’s a big difference between the two or should I prefer one over the other. Thanks in advance peeps

I’m looking at getting scs ray 10’s. Looking at their website though they offer them in 17x8.5 with 4.30 backspacing and 17x9 with 3.50 backspacing. I’m not very knowledgeable about wheel specs so I’m wondering if there’s a big difference between the two or should I prefer one over the other. Thanks in advance peeps
The larger the backspacing number, the more the wheels will stick out from under your fenders. Do they also list a number for offset?

The larger the backspacing number, the more the wheels will stick out from under your fenders. Do they also list a number for offset?
8.5 is -10 offset, 9 is -38. So I’m at stock height with my dcsb off road, if I run 265/70 17 tires will it rub with either wheel? Eventually I’m going to lift 3” and go to a bigger tire and I’ll worry about the rubbing later lol. I’m just trying to make sure I buy the right wheels now and not have to get a different set later for some reason.

8.5 is -10 offset, 9 is -38. So I’m at stock height with my dcsb off road, if I run 265/70 17 tires will it rub with either wheel? Eventually I’m going to lift 3” and go to a bigger tire and I’ll worry about the rubbing later lol. I’m just trying to make sure I buy the right wheels now and not have to get a different set later for some reason.
I was just comparing offset with this chart to check it’s accuracy. The numbers check out.
0B0D9D1E-2E7B-4FFE-963C-C3A45D30F31A.jpeg

About upgrading your tires: These two wheel options should push the tire out enough that you won’t rub your upper control arms, so you will be fine with these wheels. You need to pick one based off of aesthetics, really. How much you want your tires to stick out, basically. My personal preference would be the 3.5” backspacing, so the 17x9. The slightly wider wheel will mean slightly more rubber will be touching the ground, just FYI.

When you do the lift and bigger tires, these wheels will still be good to clear your upper control arms, but you’ll probably also need to add in a cab mount chop and possibly other cutting on the front bumper/fender.

Depends on the look you want and how willing to cut into your truck you are. I run the scs -38's and they stick out quite a bit. It doesnt sound like much -10 to -38 but ive ran both and its quite significant

I was just comparing offset with this chart to check it’s accuracy. The numbers check out.
0B0D9D1E-2E7B-4FFE-963C-C3A45D30F31A.jpeg

About upgrading your tires: These two wheel options should push the tire out enough that you won’t rub your upper control arms, so you will be fine with these wheels. You need to pick one based off of aesthetics, really. How much you want your tires to stick out, basically. My personal preference would be the 3.5” backspacing, so the 17x9. The slightly wider wheel will mean slightly more rubber will be touching the ground, just FYI.

When you do the lift and bigger tires, these wheels will still be good to clear your upper control arms, but you’ll probably also need to add in a cab mount chop and possibly other cutting on the front bumper/fender.
Okay cool, thanks for all the info! Probably go with the 17x9 now

Depends on the look you want and how willing to cut into your truck you are. I run the scs -38's and they stick out quite a bit. It doesnt sound like much -10 to -38 but ive ran both and its quite significant
Any pictures?

whats the suspension setup in these pics or is it stock?

Backward. Smaller number back space is more poke. Bigger number pulls wheel in.
I thought that the number listed as backspacing in inches is the amount of “spacer” inches the wheel has. So a bigger number means more space which means more poke.

And then I thought with offset, it works the opposite. The negative numbers are more poke and the positive numbers are less.

So you’re saying a backspacing of 2” will poke more than one with 4.5”?

I thought that the number listed as backspacing in inches is the amount of “spacer” inches the wheel has. So a bigger number means more space which means more poke.

And then I thought with offset, it works the opposite. The negative numbers are more poke and the positive numbers are less.

So you’re saying a backspacing of 2” will poke more than one with 4.5”?
Back space is measure from back of wheel to mounting surface. Smaller number means you have more 'lip' and more wheel is outside from mounting surface. Bigger number means mounting surface is closer to outside of wheel.

Back space is measure from back of wheel to mounting surface. Smaller number means you have more 'lip' and more wheel is outside from mounting surface. Bigger number means mounting surface is closer to outside of wheel.
Thank you for the clarification.

Pictures for clarification
1582822313019.png

Also don't forget to take into account the different widths. A 17x9 wheel will stick out .5" more than a 17x8.5 even if they both have the same backspacing measurement. To address the OP's question about rubbing if you have too large of backspacing then you'll most likely rub on the UCA and too small of backspacing will rub on the cab mount. Best bet would be to peruse the build threads or SCS wheel threads for someone running the same setup.

Back