• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

What the hell do you make of this? AutoLSD and Traction control turning themselves on and off respectively with no driver input.

RevN3

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Rig of the Month (2x)
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Blazing Blue Pearl
So, I was driving home from work on the freeway the other day when I look down and see this:

2023-02-01 15.09.45.jpg

And I'm thinking, Why the hell did AutoLSD turn on? I didn't push any buttons? And since I never use AutoLSD I couldn't remember what the hell it did so I'm assuming I'm going to start having hallucinations at any moment. Then this happened a few minutes later:

2023-02-01 15.13.51.jpg

Okay, I know that one, that's showing traction control is turned off. I know I have a button for that so I tapped it and instantly both lights turned off. I tapped it again and both lights turned back on. I vaguely remember this happening once WAAAAAAAY back when I got my truck in 2017 and then never having the issue again but I can't be 100% sure that it was the same dash lights. I'm wondering if maybe the switch id going bad? Seems odd though that the lights came on one at a time. Maybe a battery issue? I seem to remember the last time this happened was before my last battery died. It's been cold and the battery has been sluggish... I dunno. Weird.

And yeah I took the first picture at speed but I was on an open straight 2-lane highway with no one around me and I used voice control to take the picture so the risk was minimal.

Also, I don't really expect an answer on this, it was just weird and I was curious if anyone else had seen anything similar.

Last edited:
You may have inadvertently hit the button.

I hit the button when driving on icy roads yesterday intentionally. Both lights came on and stayed on while moving at a slow speed. The traction light turns off and LSD stays lit when reaching a higher speed. Above 20mph I think.

You may have inadvertently hit the button.

I hit the button when driving on icy roads yesterday intentionally. Both lights came on and stayed on while moving at a slow speed. The traction light turns off and LSD stays lit when reaching a higher speed. Above 20mph I think.
I guess maybe, but the button is on the ceiling...I can't imagine a scenario where that would have happened while driving

Occasionally they will turn *off* when a camera or sensor required for their function gets gunked up with snow, mud, or dirt. I think the orange lights come on when they are off, not on.

My traction control tries to activate every time I turn a corner now since I swapped gears and added the Harrop locker. I can hear the whine and the light comes on. Did you do a re gear or locker upgrade?

I bet you're having issues with the wheel speed sensor disconnecting.

-M

Occasionally they will turn *off* when a camera or sensor required for their function gets gunked up with snow, mud, or dirt. I think the orange lights come on when they are off, not on.
2017, no speed or camera based sensors, if that's what you are referring to. Those came out in 2018

My traction control tries to activate every time I turn a corner now since I swapped gears and added the Harrop locker. I can hear the whine and the light comes on. Did you do a re gear or locker upgrade?
Nope, still stock

-M
What other symptoms would I see in that scenario?

47K miles on a 2017?!?!?!? Bruh.... I'm jealous... I'm about to break 93K.... bought mine with 32K almost 2 years ago!

47K miles on a 2017?!?!?!? Bruh.... I'm jealous... I'm about to break 93K.... bought mine with 32K almost 2 years ago!
Well, not having to commute for 2.5 years because of Covid helped keep the numbers down.

While playing in the snow last week I noticed this as well.

Mine seemed to be speed dependant. Below 32 MPH all were illuminated, then above 32 MPH only AUTO LSD was illuminated.

I ended up having to google search how to turn it all off completely. For those curious, to disable traction control completely follow the instructions below:

Place truck in neutral.
Press and hold traction control button for 3-5 sec.

Enjoy skids.

Last edited:
I'd get this looked at, my truck used to do this because my LSD was getting stuck, When I regeared and threw in the Locker it stopped completely and hasnt done it since

Place truck in neutral.
Press and hold traction control button for 3-5 sec.

Enjoy skids.

Those instructions should be your signature :)

I'd get this looked at, my truck used to do this because my LSD was getting stuck, When I regeared and threw in the Locker it stopped completely and hasnt done it since
I figured it was happening because I removed the facrory LSD and replaced it with the E-Locker. Thought the system was just wigging out bc the parts aren't there anymore and it thinks my wheels are spinning out now that it's an open diff when the locker isn't activated.

I figured it was happening because I removed the facrory LSD and replaced it with the E-Locker. Thought the system was just wigging out bc the parts aren't there anymore and it thinks my wheels are spinning out now that it's an open diff when the locker isn't activated.
Yeah no, Id get it checked, maybe your locker is on and you didnt know (happened to me once)

So, I was driving home from work on the freeway the other day when I look down and see this:

2023-02-01 15.09.45.jpg

And I'm thinking, Why the hell did AutoLSD turn on? I didn't push any buttons? And since I never use AutoLSD I couldn't remember what the hell it did so I'm assuming I'm going to start having hallucinations at any moment. Then this happened a few minutes later:

2023-02-01 15.13.51.jpg

Okay, I know that one, that's showing traction control is turned off. I know I have a button for that so I tapped it and instantly both lights turned off. I tapped it again and both lights turned back on. I vaguely remember this happening once WAAAAAAAY back when I got my truck in 2017 and then never having the issue again but I can't be 100% sure that it was the same dash lights. I'm wondering if maybe the switch id going bad? Seems odd though that the lights came on one at a time. Maybe a battery issue? I seem to remember the last time this happened was before my last battery died. It's been cold and the battery has been sluggish... I dunno. Weird.

And yeah I took the first picture at speed but I was on an open straight 2-lane highway with no one around me and I used voice control to take the picture so the risk was minimal.

Also, I don't really expect an answer on this, it was just weird and I was curious if anyone else had seen anything similar.
Try driving in 4H then 4L back to 4H then 2H
See if that clears it, the LSD turns on in 4L and it may be the sensor.

It is a great habit to cycle the transfer thru 4H-4L-4H 2H monthly to keep everything lubed

-M
Came here to say this. My Jeep had the exact same symptoms and it ended up being a bad wheel speed sensor. It’s a tiny and cheap part, and easy to replace, but it’s a little demon that will do this to your truck and have you confused as hell.

Not promising it will work for you, but I’d try it.

Not that cheap on the Taco. Broke the left rear sensor while dirting about in Canyonlands. $550 for parts and labor at the dealership.

40,000 drivin' in 6 years,...... better get some drive time.....
40,000 divided by 6 is not a good number.

Going back to the original issue here, it has not returned since that one time.

Back