• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

What tent did you guys start with for camping/overlanding?

Napier, in the bed tent, $75 off Craigslist. Now running a RTT that cost $1,250!
89AA8BB0-B497-4C70-ABB3-ED43FFECC93F.jpeg
13B9773D-9DCE-44A3-A8C2-8655328B0449.jpeg

Napier, in the bed tent, $75 off Craigslist. Now running a RTT that cost $1,250!
89AA8BB0-B497-4C70-ABB3-ED43FFECC93F.jpeg
13B9773D-9DCE-44A3-A8C2-8655328B0449.jpeg

Hey Captqc, between the two what do you see as the real selling points on the RTT upgrade? Trying to convince the wife but that price jump makes it hard for me to get her buy-in.

Hey Captqc, between the two what do you see as the real selling points on the RTT upgrade? Trying to convince the wife but that price jump makes it hard for me to get her buy-in.
RTT sets up in one minute, plus you don’t have to empty the bed to go to bed. I also have an annex which adds a ton of room.
16297A3E-F1A5-4648-B6D7-F6819A18FA00.jpeg

Awesome thread, I’ll be in the market spring time for a RTT was leaning towards the smittybilt overlander to really see how much Ill use it...but I was looking at a style with the overhang so if I add a annex the ladder will be inside. With that said I’m also looking at the HivisOverland Crag2 for not much more....decisions, decisions...

Geez, that smittybilt overlander sure has a nice price point. Having come from Jeeping I have reservations about the brand though. If something goes wrong you are on your own in my experience. Then again, sub $800... That HivisOverland Crag2 looks exactly the same but for $400 more (at least where I saw it)

I’ll be honest this last camping trip was pretty cold in my Rightline tent, I might bite the bullet and get the smittybilt rtt one

Attachments

• BF62A223-0988-4360-AD4F-CA2F642ECFDC.jpeg
    BF62A223-0988-4360-AD4F-CA2F642ECFDC.jpeg
    367.4 KB · Views: 103
I rock a Tepui Ayer 2..It's a 2 person tent which is nice keeping it fairly warm. Wasn't too expensive, BAMF had a deal which made it cheaper than directly from Tepui. Since i'm local to Tepui didn't have to pay expensive shipping and just picked it up from their warehouse.

I have heard of people getting them through REI and using their 20% off as well. I myself would probably rock it until it rips or I have a kid and need something bigger.
61A9FD01-00A6-41A2-A969-74503C4311B4.jpeg

I rock a Tepui Ayer 2..It's a 2 person tent which is nice keeping it fairly warm. Wasn't too expensive, BAMF had a deal which made it cheaper than directly from Tepui. Since i'm local to Tepui didn't have to pay expensive shipping and just picked it up from their warehouse.

I have heard of people getting them through REI and using their 20% off as well. I myself would probably rock it until it rips or I have a kid and need something bigger.
61A9FD01-00A6-41A2-A969-74503C4311B4.jpeg
Where’s the warehouse at?
It’s a nice tent ??

Many moons ago I started with an Eddie Bauer tent I bought at a yard sale and a Subaru Forestor. It collapsed on me during a blizzard but I was way too drunk to realize what happened. When I woke up I crawled out and threw it in the roof box. Good memories lol.
Now I'm married and have a trailer that's too big. Very comfortable.

My first tent is the one I use currently, the TJM Yulara. I took it through Colorado and Utah, and it braved the elements and help up really well to wind and rain. I love it.

Dang, that's one hell of a campsite!

That’s what I’m running right now until I save enough money for a roof top tent, there so dang expensive!! Lol
Hey man I watch your channel!! I just watched this video a few days ago and it totally sold me on one of these. I dont like rtt but I wanted something off the ground and these seem perfect the rightline is the one I want too because it doesn't have the bottom that actually goes in the bed. Anyways man thanks for the awesome videos keep up the good work!

Hey man I watch your channel!! I just watched this video a few days ago and it totally sold me on one of these. I dont like rtt but I wanted something off the ground and these seem perfect the rightline is the one I want too because it doesn't have the bottom that actually goes in the bed. Anyways man thanks for the awesome videos keep up the good work!
Heck yea man any friend I can get watching I appreciate that :)!!!!, yea there not to bad for the price for me eventually I’ll probably do rtt down the road but for now I love my tent so far lol it’s gotten it’s use ??
Thanks again :)

If it’s nice out I just went with a mattress in the bed and an easy up just in case. Currently waiting on getting a GFC in a month so I’ve resorted back to a hammock for my one nighters
E357CCE9-3AFD-468F-8FB6-AE6A1BECCA64.png
05402C1B-BB32-4EAF-8663-8FD4FD42B817.png

33C021D7-C064-4100-9EB1-179C7AD6AA3E.png
Haveto work with you got ;), views are nice man!!

Not an overlander, just a guy who likes to wheel. That said I thought I’d give camping a go, and secured a Mobiflex Tent. Stores nice, sets up quick, 4-season, space for days, and didn’t run me over $100. Taking baby steps.

9ED3326D-39C8-40DB-853B-995D2F076BA9.jpeg

Break in the weather, so I set it up for the first time to see what I was working with. Pretty please with it, looking forward to real world testing in Oliver Springs, TN this March
70B4D05D-955E-4160-9260-A9711680166B.jpeg

That’s aw
Not an overlander, just a guy who likes to wheel. That said I thought I’d give camping a go, and secured a Mobiflex Tent. Stores nice, sets up quick, 4-season, space for days, and didn’t run me over $100. Taking baby steps.

9ED3326D-39C8-40DB-853B-995D2F076BA9.jpeg

Break in the weather, so I set it up for the first time to see what I was working with. Pretty please with it, looking forward to real world testing in Oliver Springs, TN this March
70B4D05D-955E-4160-9260-A9711680166B.jpeg
awesome man you can get the whole family in there surprised it’s less then $100 I usually see those run allt

That’s aw

awesome man you can get the whole family in there surprised it’s less then $100 I usually see those run allt
Yea that was the idea, to fit my family comfortably in a RTT would be a challenge. I couldn’t really justify spending a crazy amount on a tent and not add any performance or capability to the truck. As for pricing, I just got lucky again, a family was PCSing out of here, just happen to come across it by chance.

Back