• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

What size tires.... lol (intro)

dannyvermin

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
TRD OR DCSB Auto
Lunar Rock
Greetings Taco people. Sadly i had to sell my beloved FJ Cruiser and have now come here for some advice on the care and feeding of my new Tacoma.

I haven't figured out a name or even gender/pronouns yet but it is a 2023 TRD Offroad, Double cab, short bed, Lunar Rock in color.

My goal is to make it as cool and as capable as my FJ was. first things i want to do are,
#1: Tonneau cover - soft or hard trifold
#2: Roof rack - capable of holding a canoe. front and back LED's will be added.
#3: Rock rails - i had allpro's on my FJ. i'll probably stick with those.
#4: Tires - but yeah, i wasn't going to say the dreaded "what size will fit without a lift" thing.

Lift and winch are down the road a ways still. I would like to get opinions and advice on the first 2.
is there any any real advantage to having a hard bed cover? any recommendations on brands? price points? anything to avoid?
aftermarket roof racks make me nervous, but i didn't think the stock one looked tough enough to hold an 80lb canoe in the wind at 70mph. i ordered the truck without anything that i figured i would end up replacing later. so hit me up with any advice or suggestions and i look forward to being a part of this community and maybe getting a chance to meet and wheel with some of ya.

stan

For your bed cover, it really depends what you use your truck for.. If you're gonna go into some really sketchy places or do some, questionable, things with it, hard covers are hard, and harder to break. Soft covers can rip (kind of) easily, harder to clean, etc. I love my soft cover cause it's not limited to 3rd's for when I have to open it a certain amount. Ig it really comes down to personal preferences. Sometimes I wish I got a hard cover cause I think they look better sometimes. Really up to what you personally prefer and like more.
I see a lot of people using CaliRaised and Victory 4x4 products for the other things use listed.

Tires:
Don't get me wrong, BFG's aren't bad.. but once you get 20K miles on them they ride like shit.... I plan on going to Falken Wildpeaks next. Haven't heard anything bad about them. Ik people with Tacos and 4Runners with Falkens and LOVE them. I've driven my buddy's Runner with them on too, they feel amazing for having 50-60K miles on them. But tires are a huge thing and make a big difference on our rigs. So it depends what YOU wanna do. Off road more than on? I'd go with MT's of some sorts. I run All Terrains cause I live in New England, CT to be specific, so sometimes I'm in trails, sand, roads, etc. My BFG's haven't let me down until I get them too muddy and lose all traction..

STAY AWAY FROM ROUGH COUNTRY!!! You have a nice truck, put nice things on nice truck!
Rough Country is junk overall... cheaply made shit for cheaply maintained shit is what I say..
(I think) This is my bed cover (Idrk it was a gift, might not be the exact one but close enough)
Source: https://www.amazon.com/CARMOCAR-Roll-Up-Tonneau-Accessories-Replacement/dp/B08M3LR38S?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=A1JUJG04D2ZIIW&th=1

Take a look at some other rigs on Instagram, or build threads on here, etc. See what you personally like. There's a whole bunch of threads on this form answering questions I'm sure you'll have. If not, ask! We're all here to help! Welcome to Tacoma3G! :)

Toyo Tires AT III's
Hard cover diamond plate aluminum covers will last forever

toyva4_b_ang_l.jpg

Toyo is backing the Open Country A/T III with a 65,000-mile manufacturer warranty in standard p-metric sizes and 50,000 miles in LT sizes. If you're just starting to do your research on all-terrain tires for your truck, SUV, CUV or 4x4, that's one of the best manufacturer warranties of any A/T
1152x576_Template_1200x.jpg

1676582820441.png

I just installed the Lomax Stance in urethane finish last weekend. It is AWESOME. Very much exceeded my expectations. i need to take some photos outside to really show the finish and quality.

Lomax offers a few versions but I chose the stance because it will fold up vertical behind the window, without leaning on truck. The black mounts on top of cab come with the kit and are magnetic and secured with double sticky tape. when folded in vertical position two brackets swing out and hook to the cab mounts.

Works flawlessly, high quality, achieves full bed access without removal, and to top it off I foam cannoned and pressure washed my truck today and it was bone dry. Not a drip and I purposefully aimed at all corners and gaskets.

Plus, it is sexy…lol

truckalterations.com gave me the best deal. $950 to my door in two days.

Attachments

• 4A52EC90-32A2-42DA-B335-ED4DFC98680E.jpeg
    4A52EC90-32A2-42DA-B335-ED4DFC98680E.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 74
  • E25B3243-2235-4C69-B2AA-4B0693CE746D.jpeg
    E25B3243-2235-4C69-B2AA-4B0693CE746D.jpeg
    223.2 KB · Views: 75
Tonneau Cover - Bakflip MX4 - $1000 - Shop around. Sometimes you can catch them on Amazon Warehouse deals for dirt cheap.
Roof Rack - UpTopOverland - $800-$1300 - I think it's the cleanest and most finished looking one. There's 2 different models. UpTopOverland
Slider - I went with WarFab early on. Don't even know if they offer them anymore. If I was to do it again, I'd go with Westcott.
Tires - KO2's. I only have them because they were on sale.

Might as well also grab these:

Oil Filter Housing - 15620-31060
Seat Spacers - Makes the seats a lot more comfortable.
TacoGarage DMM - Cleanest multi mount in my opinion.
Center Console Organizer and Tray
Glove Box Organizer
Bed Mat - PT580-35050-SB

There's also a license plate light disable harness out there by daveeasa. It disables the license plate lights when you're in reverse. It whites out the reverse camera. Highly recommend.

If you're a music guy and the truck is non-JBL, plug and play:
Subaru H631SFJ101 Tweeter Kit

Also VFTuner is worth looking into.

Don't buy CaliRaised or RoughCountry.

Tires: Toyo MT 33" Pizza Cutters.
I have a stock tonneau cover that I am replacing with a hard shell.
I second @bonifacio with regards to Rough Country and CaliRaised.
For armor I am a big fan of Artec Industries (not that you asked).

Mark

yeah, rough country is more or less a joke around here.

seems like people like to display the logo across half of their windshield for some weird reason.

yeah, rough country is more or less a joke around here.

seems like people like to display the logo across half of their windshield for some weird reason.
It's just rebranded Chinese stuff. Then they tie on some modern branding. When you could just buy quality stuff for just a little bit more.

Back