• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

What is the deal with RotopaX?

Tyler

🔟 Mythical
Badministrator
Volunteer T3G Editor
Reaction score
Website
tacoma3g.com
2017 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
I never paid much attention to them because I always had my 5 gallon jerrycan in the bed of my truck. But now that I have a new bumper and (regrettably?) got the RotopaX mount, I’m seeing some nasty things on Amazon and Google about this product.

Specifically, the locking mount sucks and if you use it with an extension it doesn’t even lock anymore. Also a lot of negative comments about the tanks leaking and not having a vent, but I can deal with that.

I was planning on running two stacked 3 or 3.5 gal tanks. But I’m not sure about not being able to lock them. They’re way too overpriced to have stolen.

Does anyone have a DIY locking method? Also, do you need to buy the regular mount and then the specific 3 gal extension to stack them?

I never paid much attention to them because I always had my 5 gallon jerrycan in the bed of my truck. But now that I have a new bumper and (regrettably?) got the RotopaX mount, I’m seeing some nasty things on Amazon and Google about this product.

Specifically, the locking mount sucks and if you use it with an extension it doesn’t even lock anymore. Also a lot of negative comments about the tanks leaking and not having a vent, but I can deal with that.

I was planning on running two stacked 3 or 3.5 gal tanks. But I’m not sure about not being able to lock them. They’re way too overpriced to have stolen.

Does anyone have a DIY locking method? Also, do you need to buy the regular mount and then the specific 3 gal extension to stack them?

Can’t help you with the stacking questions. I bought one to test the waters before buying a bunch of their stuff. The lock broke within 4-5 uses. The can itself leaks like a sieve. I emailed Rotopax and was told they’d replace the lock and send me a new gasket for the spout. Have yet to reply as they seemed rather short with me in their message. Even if I accepted their replacement parts, I don’t want a leaking gas can locked to my truck with a broken lock ??‍♂️

Can’t help you with the stacking questions. I bought one to test the waters before buying a bunch of their stuff. The lock broke within 4-5 uses. The can itself leaks like a sieve. I emailed Rotopax and was told they’d replace the lock and send me a new gasket for the spout. Have yet to reply as they seemed rather short with me in their message. Even if I accepted their replacement parts, I don’t want a leaking gas can locked to my truck with a broken lock ??‍♂️
This is what I keep hearing! I wish I got the jerrycan mount instead. Two old school 5 gal metal cans.

I’ve heard a lot of leaking, I’m buying a dual jerry can holder from a buddy and then I’ll have one for gas and one for water, if needed I’ll have a cubby in the bed when I build my drawers for another small jerry (or if needed on long trips take the water jerry off and carry two fuels on the back)

This is what I keep hearing! I wish I got the jerrycan mount instead. Two old school 5 gal metal cans.

I mounted mine on my roof rack and the cab still smells like gasoline. I wouldn’t piss on that can if it was on fire. Changing out your tailgate mount is probably your best bet. Leave the rotopax for us mall crawlers.

Relentless let me know the jerrycan mount is bolt on, so I can actually still go that route.

Examples:
38AAE122-6F08-4667-BD1F-7143906D0DBD.jpeg
5DCF61DA-1FEC-40E9-9084-82F2DAE9AB6E.jpeg

Hmm I've had my 4 gal for almost a year, and have mounted it in three different spots at multiple angles. The lock has never failed, and I've never had a leak. The only issue I've run into is me breaking the twisting part of the spout (out of ignorance on how to use it), and have had to replace that. I even bought the tank used, and expected some problems for how little I paid for it, but I love it. I agree though, if I had a way to mount jerry cans efficiently, I would take those over the rotopax.

I'd never heard this about rotopax before but I'm glad I read the thread, I'll steer clear of them now

We are running a few RotoPax containers on the Truck Brigade F-150 and have sold them to many customers. We have yet to experience any leaking with ours and our customers seem to be satisfied with them in that aspect. I have had a couple of complaints in regards to the locking mechanism. The only complaint we would have is the bulky ring full of keys (RotoPax lock mounts are all keyed uniquely).

I ordered the taller 3.5 gal tank and bought a non-locking mount and extender at ORW. I'll post feedback here when I get it and use it on a trip. I intend to buy a second one and stack them if it does work out.

My lock seized

I haven’t had any problems with mine in over a year.
95175C99-7FC8-4E05-A6CA-6BB37183B505.jpeg

I have been running two of the 3.5 gal. No major issues so far but I've noticed I can get the inner can very tight. The outer can, while it does get pretty tight, it won't get quite tight enough to prevent the can from getting crooked after a while.

IMG_4998.JPG

Back