• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

What does everyone use for chainsaw?

OzarkLander

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Quicksand
Been thinking about getting an electric chainsaw to carry. Main reason, so I don’t have to carry fuel around for my big a$$ saw. Been looking at the little 20v dewalt since I already have plenty of batteries that we carry with us already anyway. Anyone have one of these or something similar that they use?

That’s really cool. Mainly looking for something to cut a downed tree off of the trail when we come across one.

Curious what electric to possibly buy, but I like having backups for my backups so I just picked up a nordic pocket saw. It's a chain saw blade with two strap handles. You shimmy dance with the tree to cut through it. Haven't used it yet. Will be using it to take down several small diameter palm trees in two weeks or so. To make the order worthwhile I also added a nordic pocket hand saw which is a folder style like the Katanaboy linked above but smaller dimensions.

Full size axe. If I'm just wheelin' on the weekend, I can deal with a pretty large tree in about 20-30 minutes with the axe and a winch or strap to pull the tree.

If I anticipate more (hunting project, etc.), my Stihl ms261c goes in, along with gas, chain oil, and toolbox. It's a big chainsaw, but at 13 lbs, it's only 3 lbs heavier than one of the non-commercial grade pieces, and I think it's worth the extra speed churning through the big stuff...and little s

I don’t carry one if I don’t plan wheeling hard on trails. Or unmarked trails. Or if my trail buddies has one I rely on them. Just an axe 🪓 I rock with me. Tho wonder what’s a good brushless electric ⚡️ chainsaw?

I really like that dewalt. Anyone used one for more than one season? I have all the manual saws I could possibly carry but an electric as a backup (or goto for big trunks) could be necessary. I don't have a need year round to maintain a gas powered chainsaw.

A little bit of a spontaneous buy just a bit ago..... Went to Lowe's for some honey do items and came back with a Kobalt 24v saw with 12" bar. This thing looks like it's going to be perfect to throw in the rig for our trips. Another good thing about it is no tools required to tighten the chain. Pretty excited about this. May do a a little short review video on this in the near future.

I have used the Ego 18 inch electric chain saw around the homestead and on the trail. It’s not a gas chainsaw but it is pretty impressive and will easily deal with most any fallen tree or cactus in Arizona.

I just got this Hitachi 16” battery powered and it works great!!

16 in. 18-Volt X2 (36-Volt) LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Top Handle Chain Saw Kit (5.0Ah)

I was skeptical of electric chain saws but bought one a couple of years ago to clear an acre of cedar and live oak. I wore out every day long before it did.

Oh, that's adorable! I wish Bosch made something like that (since those are the batteries I have :) )
They do: Bosch DIY Nanoblade Nanoblade Multipurpose Easy Cut 12 WITHOUT Battery AND Charger - - Amazon.com

I carry a Orikko Japanese Folding saw, it is a pull cross cut saw. I can cut with it as fast as a sawzall, but it will wear you out. If I am going to be in an area with trees for an extended period, I carry a dewalt sawzall. I use to carry a Stihl 009, but got tired of carrying fuel and oil for it.

One of the few honest, not paid off, reviewers on Youtube, Project Farm, just did a two part review of battery operated chainsaws.

Round One: Milwaukee vs DeWalt, Makita, Ryobi & WORX

Round Two: Stihl vs EGO, ECHO, Husqvarna, Oregon, & WEN

One of the few honest, not paid off, reviewers on Youtube, Project Farm, just did a two part review of battery operated chainsaws.

I love watching Project Farm. Before I buy something, I'll look to see if he's done a review and go from there. I'm going to add this to my watch list.

Looks like the TLDR on that is to get the Echo

As a 36 year firefighter who used chainsaws to cut ventilation holes, I have used probably every brand of chainsaw made, and I have to say the day our department went to Stihl was one of my happier days. The ease of maintenance and reliability were the two biggest factors, when you need it to start on the fireground, you need it to start on the first pull, it never let me down. Hands down the Mercedes of chainsaws.

Back