• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

What’s your preferred suspension setup?

Derek_Rogueoffroad

3️⃣ Silver
Authorized Vendor
Reaction score
Super White
Wanted to swing by and get some conversation going!

What’s your suspension setup, or even dream suspension set up, and why?

Here’s some pics of a super simple and clean set up for a client, we knocked out a while back!

We’ve got a wide array of suspension options for every need by the way! If you’re in the market, let’s go over suspension systems!

Rogue-Offroad

Attachments

• 11A58282-A428-4FA8-B07B-D0798BD23C54.jpeg
    11A58282-A428-4FA8-B07B-D0798BD23C54.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 11B1E45B-171C-4DA2-A948-DF2ED83FB1C6.jpeg
    11B1E45B-171C-4DA2-A948-DF2ED83FB1C6.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 53
  • FBD2E747-48E9-4967-9E77-85CEAA3EF183.jpeg
    FBD2E747-48E9-4967-9E77-85CEAA3EF183.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 52
One shock system the I have been looking for is , In the cab dial settings for the front and rear shocks. You can change the softness to the hardness as you are driving on the streets or off roads from inside the cab. And looking for a reasonable price, prefer electronic systems in the cab controls.

They sell the dial-able shocks with manual dials, Kings, icons, Vertex, etc.Just gotta climb underneath each shock to set the dials.

Many ,many years ago on my 1986 4x4 Dodge Ram, I install the Rancho 9000, with dial/ duel, air controls. You could set the shocks as you were driving from inside the cab. Fronts and rears could be each set to you likings.
BUT, the O-rings leaks , all the time. When it was working,WOW was fun to have. I miss this!

I went with 6112s & 5160s on my 2019 Tacoma TRD, After reviewing the RC vertex with 8 settings , I think this is the way to go. Rather then a fix design shocks. This way you can adjust the rides, for street and off road driving.
Nicer if can be done inside the cab!

I do miss my 1986 Dodge Ram 4x4 , straight front axles, fuel injection, 8 foot bed with camper, 4inch lift. Front and rear LSDs. Got too old, too many things started to go. Could go everywhere, every beach trail. Made it to every fishing spot. Had no limits.

Last edited by a moderator:
One shock system the I have been looking for is , In the cab dial settings for the front and rear shocks. You can change the softness to the hardness as you are driving on the streets or off roads from inside the cab. And looking for a reasonable price, prefer electronic systems in the cab controls.

They sell the dial-able shocks with manual dials, Kings, icons, Vertex, etc.Just gotta climb underneath each shock to set the dials.

Many ,many years ago on my 1986 4x4 Dodge Ram, I install the Rancho 9000, with dial/ duel, air controls. You could set the shocks as you were driving from inside the cab. Fronts and rears could be each set to you likings.
BUT, the O-rings leaks , all the time. When it was working,WOW was fun to have. I miss this!

I went with 6112s & 5160s on my 2019 Tacoma TRD, After reviewing the RC vertex with 8 settings , I think this is the way to go. Rather then a fix design shocks. This way you can adjust the rides, for street and off road driving.

I do miss my 1986 Dodge Ram 4x4 , straight front axles, fuel injection, 8 foot bed with camper, 4inch lift. Front and rear LSDs. Got too old, too many things started to go. Could go everywhere, every beach trail. Made it to every fishing spot. Had no limits.
SDI and Icon have electronically controlled shock damping. Not sure if theres an application for the Tacos.

-M

Icon offers an electronic system now that can do just that! Feel free to ask any questions!

Thank you for the info. I will check it out.

Just got a look , impressive. 2016 Tacoma and up The intelligence control kit est-$499.00
2026 Tacoma and up -rear shocks RXT 2.5 Rr CDEV $$1,899.00. Front ? Found one for front only EXT Travel kit $2599.95.

Hopefully other companies will offer similar in the cab shock controls kit , making pricing competitive.
AI - for shocks is the future!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the info. I will check it out.

Just got a look , impressive. 2016 Tacoma and up The intelligence control kit est-$499.00
2026 Tacoma and up -rear shocks RXT 2.5 Rr CDEV $$1,899.00. Front ? Found one for front only EXT Travel kit $2599.95.

Hopefully other companies will offer similar in the cab shock controls kit , making pricing competitive.
AI - for shocks is the future!

Dream suspension is the Dobinsons MRA full kit.
I read the Accutune comparison of Kings and Fox and I was pretty set on Fox then did more and more research. Ended up landing on Dobinsons. Good reviews all around and financially the full kit(including spring packs)seemed cheaper. So, that's what I dream of and slowly saving up for.

Dream suspension is the Dobinsons MRA full kit.
I read the Accutune comparison of Kings and Fox and I was pretty set on Fox then did more and more research. Ended up landing on Dobinsons. Good reviews all around and financially the full kit(including spring packs)seemed cheaper. So, that's what I dream of and slowly saving up for.
Dobinsons make some solid stuff! When you’re ready, let me know! We can work with you!

I had built my dream kit and it comprised of

• Elka 2.5" shocks with dual speed compression adjusters
  • Dirt King tubular sealed ball joint upper control arms
  • Dirt King sealed ball joint lower control arms with integrated skid plates.
  • Fabzone Armor spindle gussets (reinforcement of the flimsy spindles)
  • Dobinsons Heavy Duty leaf pack
  • Archive Garage Hammer Hangers and shackles
  • Wheelers U-Bolt flip kit
  • 4° axle shim
I could have done any suspension I wanted and I tried multiple components from various manufacturers. The above gave me what I felt was the ultimate travel setup. It maintained the narrow truck width to allow for easy access off-road versus a long travel setup. On road comfort was just as good as offroad. When the truck hit the dirt I could do upwards of 70 mph fully loaded and the truck just floated over everything.

Back