• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

What’s this noise? *SOLVED*

gene158

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2018 Sport DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
I’ve recently been noticing this noise coming from the front end of my TRD Sport DCSB. The truck only has about 12k miles and it doesn’t always do the noise. The truck is all stock (for now). I realize it could be many things causing the noise but maybe others have experienced the same thing. Any ideas?
View: https://youtu.be/f2th6qXdY7s

I’ve recently been noticing this noise coming from the front end of my TRD Sport DCSB. The truck only has about 12k miles and it doesn’t always do the noise. The truck is all stock (for now). I realize it could be many things causing the noise but maybe others have experienced the same thing. Any ideas?
View: https://youtu.be/f2th6qXdY7s
?? try wd40 on ur springs

Upvote 0
?? try wd40 on ur springs
So i liberally coated the springs with wd 40, specifically where they touch the retainers. I also sprayed the sway bar end links just in case that was the cause but so far no luck with either. The noise is still there.:mad:

Upvote 0
this might sound stupid but the same thing happen to my truck i lubricated the springs and still had the annoying noise until i got under my truck and found out that it was actually the spare tire hoist so i lubricated it problem solve.

Upvote 0
this might sound stupid but the same thing happen to my truck i lubricated the springs and still had the annoying noise until i got under my truck and found out that it was actually the spare tire hoist so i lubricated it problem solve.
That or u think his skid plate is possibly loose? Cuz that’s loud in the video he posted lol

Upvote 0
Couple ideas to throw at you. 1. It could be your upper control arms. Aftermarket ones sometimes make noises like that. The fact that yours are factory, who knows. I'm just throwing ideas out there. 2. I had an issue recently where the lower bearing in my coilover went bad and was causing a noise very similar to that. Again, my stuff is aftermarket but it's an idea.

Do you have your warranty still at 12k? Can you get it checked out at the dealer?

Upvote 0
Couple ideas to throw at you. 1. It could be your upper control arms. Aftermarket ones sometimes make noises like that. The fact that yours are factory, who knows. I'm just throwing ideas out there. 2. I had an issue recently where the lower bearing in my coilover went bad and was causing a noise very similar to that. Again, my stuff is aftermarket but it's an idea.

Do you have your warranty still at 12k? Can you get it checked out at the dealer?
I do indeed have an extended warranty. I was trying to avoid bringing it to the dealer because who has time for that but I may have to.

Upvote 0
I do indeed have an extended warranty. I was trying to avoid bringing it to the dealer because who has time for that but I may have to.

With a noise like that you my be passed the point of waiting to take it in. Good luck man, let us know what they find.

Upvote 0
See if you can have a buddy wiggle the truck while you inspect each component suggested individually. When the component is right in your face you might be able to tell it’s coming from that and then you can take action to try to shut it up.

Upvote 0
See if you can have a buddy wiggle the truck while you inspect each component suggested individually. When the component is right in your face you might be able to tell it’s coming from that and then you can take action to try to shut it up.
Did that already but couldn’t quite pinpoint it. I have an appointment with the dealership this week.

Upvote 0
So I left my truck with the dealer for a couple days and they found that the problem was 2 bad body mounts. They said the mounts looked like they were installed incorrectly from the factory which is bizarre. The warranty covered it and I have my truck back now!

Upvote 0
Body mounts maybe
So I left my truck with the dealer for a couple days and they found that the problem was 2 bad body mounts. They said the mounts looked like they were installed incorrectly from the factory which is bizarre. The warranty covered it and I have my truck back now!

yup

Upvote 0
I'm honestly not sure. What I can tell you is that the noise was coming from the front driver side.
This is indeed interesting I have a similar noise that comes and goes as it pleases, I have forced myself to believe it's my rust corroded uniball from my harsh Canadian winters , inreturn picked up delta joints(not installed yet) but now after watching your video I'm thinking mine is similar. When you turn at low speeds is the sound there ?

Upvote 0
This is indeed interesting I have a similar noise that comes and goes as it pleases, I have forced myself to believe it's my rust corroded uniball from my harsh Canadian winters , inreturn picked up delta joints(not installed yet) but now after watching your video I'm thinking mine is similar. When you turn at low speeds is the sound there ?
Yes I could hear it at low speeds. I'm sure it made the noise at higher speeds too but I couldn't hear it.

Upvote 0
Yes I could hear it at low speeds. I'm sure it made the noise at higher speeds too but I couldn't hear it.
Sorry to bother you again when you turned at low speeds in parking maneuvers did it sound like death

Upvote 0
Sorry to bother you again when you turned at low speeds in parking maneuvers did it sound like death
I wouldn't say it sounded like "death." I mean, it didn't sound like the truck was going to fall apart if that's what you mean. It was a low volume creaking sound that would happen with any suspension action.

Upvote 0
What do you mean by "death"
Death like nails on a chalk board , mine squeaks with suspension action at low speed but when I turn the wheel in parking lot maneuvers it's much much worse I have a video of it (ofcourse when I record it decides to settle down a bit) but wont let me upload a .NPR?

Upvote 0
Death like nails on a chalk board , mine squeaks with suspension action at low speed but when I turn the wheel in parking lot maneuvers it's much much worse I have a video of it (ofcourse when I record it decides to settle down a bit) but wont let me upload a .NPR?
I had to upload my video to youtube and then copy/paste the link here.

Upvote 0

And this is quieter then its usual
Sometimes not not a noise either

Upvote 0
I’m experiencing the exact same issue with only 3,500 miles on the truck. I saw this write up on TW. I’ll be completing this on my next day off

Upvote 0
Back