• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Weird humming at 60-65 mph

XxMagpulxX

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2016 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Blazing Blue Pearl
Hey, I was wondering if anyone here had a weird humming when they hit 60-65 mph? This just started last weekend. Its not a wheel balance issue as I have had those before that that is more of a shaking than anything. This is a humming noise. I hoping its just because the tires are old and are almost ready to be replaced. Problem is that wouldnt it hum all the time if that was the issue?

What’s your setup on the truck?

Roof rack, bed rack, snorkel, accessories mounted on either of those racks? Ditch lights or anything like that?

Upvote 0
Hey, I was wondering if anyone here had a weird humming when they hit 60-65 mph? This just started last weekend. Its not a wheel balance issue as I have had those before that that is more of a shaking than anything. This is a humming noise. I hoping its just because the tires are old and are almost ready to be replaced. Problem is that wouldnt it hum all the time if that was the issue?
Either tires like you said. Or needle bearing.

Upvote 0
What’s your setup on the truck?

Roof rack, bed rack, snorkel, accessories mounted on either of those racks? Ditch lights or anything like that?

Roof Rack, ditch lights, skid plates, 3 in lift. Everything has been on the truck for well over 2 years with no issues. I heard it again today, it sounds like its coming from the front driver side.....Maybe I will rotate tires and see if it changes anything.

Upvote 0
Roof Rack, ditch lights, skid plates, 3 in lift. Everything has been on the truck for well over 2 years with no issues. I heard it again today, it sounds like its coming from the front driver side.....Maybe I will rotate tires and see if it changes anything.

Ok, just trying to eliminate anything obvious.
Maybe try the needle bearing test...

That it tires would be my guess now.

Upvote 0
I get a humming/whistling sound from the driver side window on occasion. It’s a common Toyota thing with most of their vehicles.

Upvote 0
If it's more of a whistling sound it could be a pulley in the serpentine belt assembly. Mine goes off every now and then from being dusty. The moisture in the air seems to affect it and it's only after I've been on the highway for a bit. Just another thought.

Also a common tacoma thing. They might be doing a recall on it eventually according to toyota.

Upvote 0
I am getting needle bearing noise from about 20-25 and 60-65. Comes from drivers side wheel well, this is the bearing that gets replaced. Passenger side is not a needle bearing. I am just putting off the fix for now as the M/T's drown out the noise. HAH

Upvote 0
I am getting the same issue as you stated. Just started recently and definitely noticable above 65 mph. I have 65k on my truck. The tires probably have about 35k on them. Did you ever figure out how to solve this?

Upvote 0
I ended up replacing the tires. they were ready to be replaced anyway.

Upvote 0
Back