• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Weather Proofing a Camper

Tielur

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2019 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cement
Has anyone had experience weather proofing a camper? Mainly the front corners of the bed near the truck cab. I've noticed two huge holes in each side that apparently are capped of with rubber parts if you bought your truck with a tonneau cover ( I didn't ) Apparently Toyota sells these factory OEM hardware pieces (parts number 62541-04010 and 62542-04010) . I think they want like $50 USD for them though...

I bought from butyl tape from amazon that should be here in a few days that I'm hoping to use to seal those holes up and prevent water from dumping into the bed.

Has anyone fixed this in a different way? Do you think butyl tape will work okay? Any tips with working with it?

foam pads.png

That butyl tape will work if you shove it into the little holes on the side right there in the front.

Honestly I used clear silicone when I had my tonneau to keep it somewhat dry in the bed. It’s readily available and peels right back off once it’s fully cured. Might try that in addition to the butyl

I've had butyl in there since I had a standard style shell and still do with my current Drifter camper. The butyl works well as it forms to whatever and like @Tacomadad18 says it peels away easily when needed. I don't get much (if any) water intrusion on those corners.

I've had butyl in there since I had a standard style shell and still do with my current Drifter camper. The butyl works well as it forms to whatever and like @Tacomadad18 says it peels away easily when needed. I don't get much (if any) water intrusion on those corners.

That's exciting to hear! I just got my butyl tape in the mail. I'm wondering how to best apply it? I guess I just scrunch it up into a massive ball and shove it in there?

That's exciting to hear! I just got my butyl tape in the mail. I'm wondering how to best apply it? I guess I just scrunch it up into a massive ball and shove it in there?

Try taking strips and building them up on top of each other to cover the gap. Balling it all may just fall right off. Need that surface area to stick properly

Best bet is to lift the camper and then fold the butyl into layers and cram it in there. If you can't lift the camper at least try to get it in layers in there so it sticks and fills the gaps.

Best bet is to lift the camper and then fold the butyl into layers and cram it in there. If you can't lift the camper at least try to get it in layers in there so it sticks and fills the gaps.
Yea I don't think I have a safe way to lift the camper up

Yea I don't think I have a safe way to lift the camper up

I hear ya. Lifting my camper isn't really an option either. Maybe get a putty knife to help you do the goods back and forth as best you can.

Back