TOPPERS/CAMPERS Water coming in with Cap

• Hello, visitor! You've found the only 3rd Generation Toyota Tacoma forum! 🤙
    Tacoma3G.com is an online forum for 2016-2021 Toyota Tacoma and overland enthusiasts. Our resources include: build threads, tutorials, gear reviews, exclusive discounts and giveaways, a marketplace to buy and sell items, local trail events, and more. We have thousands of friendly, knowledgeable members, including many officials from your favorite companies. Registration is completely free and only takes 30 seconds, so we hope to see you and your rig soon!

MicTee72

T3G Level: Bronze
First Name
Mike
T3G Member
#3,888
I have a 2019 off road short bed with a cap on it. I noticed some water in the bed after the cap was installed. I took the cap off and replaced the weather striping between the cap and bed rails. I know the front corners are susceptible to leaks and I will address but as you can see by the attached picture it looks like the water is coming through the bed liner somehow. It’s dry above the over hang but wet and dirty below it. Anyone had this problem or suggestion for a fix? Much appreciated.

Attachments

• DF556E30-EA74-497F-BB43-8D6F1A19B0EB.jpeg
    DF556E30-EA74-497F-BB43-8D6F1A19B0EB.jpeg
    685.5 KB · Views: 34

Tyler

T3G Level: Legendary
Badministrator
T3G O.G.
First Name
Tyler
Military
Marine Corps (Vet.)
Build Thread
(Click to View)
T3G Member
Mr. Nobody is experienced with this. Like you said, they all leak somewhere, but it shouldn’t really be coming through your weather stripping.

I used heavy duty double sided tape for the cap on my Chevy and it worked well.

Mr. Nobody

T3G Level: Grandmaster
Vendor Relations
T3G O.G.
First Name
Andy
T3G Member
I never experienced that on my previous shell, but what you are looking at in your photo is the shell on top, then a sealing gasket, then a plastic bed cap, then the bed wall. It looks like your getting water intrusion under the bed cap. When I installed my latest Drifter camper I actually pulled these caps, put some simple black duct tape down, then a layer of black silicone to help seal out the potential of this exact problem.

ShikyoX

T3G Level: Diamond
T3G Supporter
First Name
Trevor
T3G Member
Has a water test been done?
The Tacoma box is multiple peices bolted toghether with many gaps and openings , because it's a box non have water sealing measures done, a big puddle geos up under and can seep in etc..
Now that you put a cap on it maybe also getting some condensation going on as well

TacoDrewvee

T3G Level: Bronze
First Name
Andrew
T3G Member
#5,129
Has a water test been done?
The Tacoma box is multiple peices bolted toghether with many gaps and openings , because it's a box non have water sealing measures done, a big puddle geos up under and can seep in etc..
Now that you put a cap on it maybe also getting some condensation going on as well

This makes sense to me now. I have had water leaking in under my tonneau and have been wondering where it was coming in from.

ShikyoX

T3G Level: Diamond
T3G Supporter
First Name
Trevor
T3G Member
And added note most canopy seal is garbage from the start , dont know what they use down in the states but the guys here use under useless material as a seal

Top Bottom