• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Water coming in with Cap

MicTee72

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
I have a 2019 off road short bed with a cap on it. I noticed some water in the bed after the cap was installed. I took the cap off and replaced the weather striping between the cap and bed rails. I know the front corners are susceptible to leaks and I will address but as you can see by the attached picture it looks like the water is coming through the bed liner somehow. It’s dry above the over hang but wet and dirty below it. Anyone had this problem or suggestion for a fix? Much appreciated.

Attachments

• DF556E30-EA74-497F-BB43-8D6F1A19B0EB.jpeg
    DF556E30-EA74-497F-BB43-8D6F1A19B0EB.jpeg
    685.5 KB · Views: 118
@Mr. Nobody is experienced with this. Like you said, they all leak somewhere, but it shouldn’t really be coming through your weather stripping.

I used heavy duty double sided tape for the cap on my Chevy and it worked well.

I never experienced that on my previous shell, but what you are looking at in your photo is the shell on top, then a sealing gasket, then a plastic bed cap, then the bed wall. It looks like your getting water intrusion under the bed cap. When I installed my latest Drifter camper I actually pulled these caps, put some simple black duct tape down, then a layer of black silicone to help seal out the potential of this exact problem.

Has a water test been done?
The Tacoma box is multiple peices bolted toghether with many gaps and openings , because it's a box non have water sealing measures done, a big puddle geos up under and can seep in etc..
Now that you put a cap on it maybe also getting some condensation going on as well

Has a water test been done?
The Tacoma box is multiple peices bolted toghether with many gaps and openings , because it's a box non have water sealing measures done, a big puddle geos up under and can seep in etc..
Now that you put a cap on it maybe also getting some condensation going on as well

This makes sense to me now. I have had water leaking in under my tonneau and have been wondering where it was coming in from.

And added note most canopy seal is garbage from the start , dont know what they use down in the states but the guys here use under useless material as a seal

Back