• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

WarFab Armor Tube Bumper

Ts7xTaco

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2016 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
I've been waiting for a minimalist, lightweight, high clearance, tube bumper to come to market since I bought the truck in 2016, and this is it! This is a pre-production unit I agreed to try out and give feedback and suggestions in order to make the final production unit the best it could be.
First of all, I have to say the customer service was great. I received updates to the build status and hoops they were jumping through to get the bumper to the point in quality and design they where trying to achieve. Once the bumper was built there were issues with the courier service they were trying to use and decided to just deliver it themselves( a 5 hour drive, one way).
What I received was an extremely well packaged bumper. The tubes were all protected by roll cage padding or pipe insulation of some sort, wrapped in bubble wrap, and covered in cardboard before being thoroughly wrapped in plastic wrap. In the plastic wrap was a couple WarFab stickers, hardware, invoice, and as I imagined might happen (because it was a pre-production unit) no instructions.
20190726_125445.jpg

20190726_131557.jpg

I immediately jumped into tearing into the install. I pulled the fender flares and looked at as many pictures I could find regarding where the cut needed to be and made the cut, I was off by about 1/2 inch on the fender side and now it looks like the tubes are angled down, I'm not totally in love with that. You'll see i cut from the top of the fog light bezel across to the fender/bumper seam. In retrospect I would have gone down about a half inch (maybe even more) on the fender side.
20190726_135357.jpg

After making the cuts and removing what was left of the bumper I noticed the factory power steering cooler was going to be in the way of the bumper mounting flush. I ended up making three brackets out of 1/8 x 1 1/4 strap that moved the cooler out of the way. I didn't get pictures but super simple to make.
20190726_161720.jpg
20190726_161752.jpg

After making room for the bumper to mount flush I test fit before taking it off and mounting my winch to it. I ended up cutting away a bit of the grill support to make room for the winch. I mounted a Smittybilt 9.5k with synthetic line to the bumper and mounted the bumper/winch to the truck. The winch will not mount to the bumper with the bumper mounted to the truck, I tried.
20190726_193341.jpg
20190726_193350.jpg

I still haven't mounted the front plate to the bumper and I'm not sure when I do I'll keep it on. I really like the open look, we'll see if I like it with the front plate. I haven't had a chance to get off the pavement yet but the clearance gained is obvious against the factory bumper, and I love the way it looks.

This is the style of bumper I want. I was waiting for marlin to release theirs but it’s taking forever. I do like this design better though. I will definitely be getting one when I’m ready for it.

I’m glad you made this post. I seen this somewhere else but wanted to see an install!

This is the style of bumper I want. I was waiting for marlin to release theirs but it’s taking forever. I do like this design better though. I will definitely be getting one when I’m ready for it.

I’m glad you made this post. I seen this somewhere else but wanted to see an install!
And a huge thanks to @Ts7xTaco for trying our first one and giving us solid feedback. There are a few small changes coming, some from his testing, and some from our side.
- cover plate will leave more room around the fairlead mount to accommodate larger fairleads.
- cooler relocation brackets included.
- the tube will be noded anywhere there is an opportunity to, including the grill hoop.
- shackle mounts will be outboarded just a tiny bit more.

Had some of you ask what I mean by node, so here's the idea. Just that the joints would all come to one point. Creates a slightly larger 'wing' but adds some more rigidity. Will be tied into lower winch plate tube as well. Irrelevant for majority of folks, but, yeah.

Back