• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Wade's Build

SacFett

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2021 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Midnight Black
Good Morning!

I'm on my third Tacoma now. My first I bought was a 2012 model access cab, on a lease because I couldn't afford to straight out buy it. When the lease was done, I traded up for a 2015 blazing blue pearl TRD Sport double cab, and I absolutely loved that truck. That lease (sadly) ended, and I wasn't able to buy it outright, so I ended up selling it back to the dealership and bought a base model Rav4, which was the worst vehicle purchase decision I've ever made. Well, I sold that a few weeks ago, and I was finally able to afford the actual purchase of a new Tacoma! Yesterday I brought home a fully loaded midnight black metallic TRD Off-Road double cab short bed, and I couldn't be happier.
I'm looking forward to getting some extras for it, maybe a soft camper shell. On the way home, I saw a truck on the freeway with a softshell with rails around it to be able to mount stuff above and on the sides, and I think that's going to be my first add-on. Maybe a tent for up top? I don't know. (certainly some sort of anti-theft device for the catalytic converter)
But I'm really excited about the new truck, and even though the excitement of one being in stock should have subsided after I bought it and the day was up, I still couldn't sleep last night for the excited-ness about it.

Attachments

• rocket.jpg
    rocket.jpg
    610.6 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Welcome aboard. Have fun with your new obsession.

So I just put the order through for my first major add-on: bed rack and roof rack.

After looking around, lurking here, pricing this, scoping that, I finally decided on going with Victory 4x4 for both of them. The price point didn't dent my pocketbook nearly as bad as what some of the other brands would have, and I really liked the styling. The discount for first responders didn't hurt either.

I ended up going with a solid front fairing on the roof rack, figuring I could swap it if I later end up dropping some cash for a light bar up there. As of right now I don't have any plans that I'd need one for, so if that comes up it's an option.
I went with the half height bed rack because after looking around at various builds, I realized I didn't really want a rack that would extend from the front of the cab to the rear of the truck, and I didn't want the bed to have that much of an "enclosed" look. With the half height rack I'll still be able to stow all my camping gear, and some extras up on top. And once I find a container for them, I'll be able to stow my telescope gear above the cab (thinking of going with ROAM?).

Anyhow, I'm super excited about the soon to be new addition.

Congrats. Let me just say, don't do Raptor lights. They die fast. I went through 8 modules, drove around with one burnt out until I got around to ripping them out.

Also:

Congrats. Let me just say, don't do Raptor lights. They die fast. I went through 8 modules, drove around with one burnt out until I got around to ripping them out.

Also:

Oh hey, thanks for this right here. I'll be taking care of this as soon as I can!

Welcome to the party. Enjoy your truck. Post some shots after you get some mods up.
Thanks, and I absolutely will. Only thing I've done so far are get rid of the yellowish internal lights, plate lights, and reverse lights.. I know it's about one of the most common things that can be done, but I really do like the white lights. I only just got approval for the racks this morning, and I'm super excited about them.

Welcome! I'm also in the process of swapping out all the yellow bulbs with LED's.

I would remember that the warmer color of the interior lights is intentional--less night vision problems. Bright white will deplete your eyeballs a bit at the time when you actually need to see.

I would remember that the warmer color of the interior lights is intentional--less night vision problems. Bright white will deplete your eyeballs a bit at the time when you actually need to see.
I was actually considering changing them again, but to red so it would kind of be like when out to sea during darken ship hours, but my wife isn’t too keen on the idea.

Good Morning!

I'm on my third Tacoma now. My first I bought was a 2012 model access cab, on a lease because I couldn't afford to straight out buy it. When the lease was done, I traded up for a 2015 blazing blue pearl TRD Sport double cab, and I absolutely loved that truck. That lease (sadly) ended, and I wasn't able to buy it outright, so I ended up selling it back to the dealership and bought a base model Rav4, which was the worst vehicle purchase decision I've ever made. Well, I sold that a few weeks ago, and I was finally able to afford the actual purchase of a new Tacoma! Yesterday I brought home a fully loaded midnight black metallic TRD Off-Road double cab short bed, and I couldn't be happier.
I'm looking forward to getting some extras for it, maybe a soft camper shell. On the way home, I saw a truck on the freeway with a softshell with rails around it to be able to mount stuff above and on the sides, and I think that's going to be my first add-on. Maybe a tent for up top? I don't know. (certainly some sort of anti-theft device for the catalytic converter)
But I'm really excited about the new truck, and even though the excitement of one being in stock should have subsided after I bought it and the day was up, I still couldn't sleep last night for the excited-ness about it.
Hey SacFett, Congratulations on your latest acquisition. I had a SoftTopper on my 2G. Loved it. Kinda gave the truck a military vibe, plus still functionally a truck in a matter of seconds. Enjoy!

Hey SacFett, Congratulations on your latest acquisition. I had a SoftTopper on my 2G. Loved it. Kinda gave the truck a military vibe, plus still functionally a truck in a matter of seconds. Enjoy!
I was really wanting to get one, but I ended up deciding against it. I don't want the random passerby or weirdo to decide to try and figure out what's inside of it or cut the top at all just because they're feeling oats.

First add-on completed. I really like the look of the rack. We went out to Utica Reservoir yesterday, and now I'm thinking a kayak or small paddle board would be nice to throw up top for trips out there. I can't wait for the bed rack to come in.
IMG_2739.jpg

IMG_2742.jpg

Well, the bed rack got delivered, and it took me a good three times as long to install it than it should have. I need to give the truck a good once over with the washer and I'll post some photos (too much dirt and ash fallout (from the various fires burning the state) on it). I really like the rack, and now I'm looking into the RTT. I have somewhat of a budget, and I just came across the OVS TMBK 3 - Anybody have that one that could give some insight?

Decided against the RTT. I took it out a few times, and with my easy pop-up Coleman 4-person tent, it's pretty easy to just pop that sucker up and then throw my cot in it with sleeping bag. I got a basket for atop the bed rack, so it adds some storage.

Been working some overtime and setting aside some money. Now that I have some cash burning holes in my pocket I've been looking at what next to do with the truck. I want to put some bigger tires on, with a 2" lift. I don't go out getting crazy offroad, but I'd like a bit more clearance and not to have it be such a hard ride. Also looking at metal bumpers and a front winch. I've started making up a wish list, and I read Zach's debt plan post and it kind of got me inspired to alsmo make a list so I wouldn't forget what I've decided upon and actually have a place to go to cross items off the list. So here's the plan so far:

To Do List:
Suspension - ARB Old Man Emu 2 Inch Suspension Lift Kit (Heavy Load)
Wheels - American Racing BAJA - 17x8, 0mm offset / 4.5" backspacing
Tires - Falken Wildpeaks 275/70-17
Rear bumper - Relentless Fabrication's high clearance bumper with the added swingout
Front bumper - SSO Slimline Hybrid Full Plate Front Bumper (I really like the Relentless stealth front bumper too, but there's no option for the medium height tubing on top which I like the look of)

I was thinking of doing the suspension first but then I'd have the stock tires still. Would look a bit funny. So may the tires first. But I can't do the tires without the suspension because they're bigger tires. So for the suspension and tires it'll have to be same time, same time. So first order of business is suspension and tires first. Would be nice if the suspension was in stock anywhere!
The front bumper will be next after suspension/tires, and the rear bumper will be last.

So the suspension is ordered. They didn't have any in stock, but they said they'd piece it together from whatever distributors they could. Should be in by the end of the week, or early next. Now I need some more OT so that I can afford the tires and wheels!

Suspension is in!
1667349722641.jpeg

Now I just have to order those tires and wheels.
Didn't realize how expensive this stuff would be. Tires/wheels are going to run about $2600, suspension install quote is $1300 (install, alignment, "shop fees"), plus $400 for a 36k warranty for parts/labor... Good grief.

Maaaan if you want to drive out to AZ I'll help you install it. That's so much money to spend on an install and really it isn't that hard to do.

Did you get UCA's too?

That’s tempting! The cost in gas may make the price comparable though 😆

I didn’t get the UCAs, no. I looked at it and an extra $650 or so. I’m guessing that’s something that should be done at the same time.
Does it cause problems down the line without swapping those out also?

Mostly just helps with tire clearance and getting your alignment dialed in so you track straight without rubbing all over the place. Also can help increase suspension travel and improve ride quality. $1300 and they're not even doing UCA's? That's weak. I need to charge wayyy more for my installs lol.

The leaf pack installs are a little sketchy for one person due to their weight and bulkiness (but super doable) but the rest is pretty much pnp.

Mostly just helps with tire clearance and getting your alignment dialed in so you track straight without rubbing all over the place. Also can help increase suspension travel and improve ride quality. $1300 and they're not even doing UCA's? That's weak. I need to charge wayyy more for my installs lol.

The leaf pack installs are a little sketchy for one person due to their weight and bulkiness (but super doable) but the rest is pretty much pnp.
Wait. $1300 for just the suspension install? The 4 shocks?

Wait. $1300 for just the suspension install? The 4 shocks?
It’s for the shocks and springs. It’s only I think $900 for the install, then it’s either $150 or $200 for the alignment, then the remainder is “shop fees.”
I’m going to order UCAs and have those installed at the same time, even out that hourly book rate!
I’m also going to look at another place a coworker of mine got theirs installed, Stellarbuilt.

It’s for the shocks and springs. It’s only I think $900 for the install, then it’s either $150 or $200 for the alignment, then the remainder is “shop fees.”
I’m going to order UCAs and have those installed at the same time, even out that hourly book rate!
I’m also going to look at another place a coworker of mine got theirs installed, Stellarbuilt.
I think I paid $650ish for UCA/Suspension Install + Tire Mount and Balance + Alignment + CV Bearing + Shop fabricated bearing removal tool. $900 sounds wild.

Second time around I did it myself in 3-4 hours. Don't know how or why it takes shops so long. There's legit a walkthrough of removing the front shocks in under 5-10 minutes on Youtube. Took the guy like 1-3 minutes and took me about 30. But it's pretty simple. That's just robbery.

I think I paid $650ish for UCA/Suspension Install + Tire Mount and Balance + Alignment + CV Bearing + Shop fabricated bearing removal tool. $900 sounds wild.

Second time around I did it myself in 3-4 hours. Don't know how or why it takes shops so long. There's legit a walkthrough of removing the front shocks in under 5-10 minutes on Youtube. Took the guy like 1-3 minutes and took me about 30. But it's pretty simple. That's just robbery.
Yea, the install would be simple enough if I had the equipment and the tools, but alas.
I got a second quote, this time from StellarBuilt. They quoted me $1580 out the door for the shocks/springs/UCAs install, alignment, and cmc to fit the bigger tires.
The price differenece may just be the diff between PA prices and CA prices? In any case, I'm at the mercy of the shops 'round here because I don't have the tools to replace this stuff myself.

Yea, the install would be simple enough if I had the equipment and the tools, but alas.
I got a second quote, this time from StellarBuilt. They quoted me $1580 out the door for the shocks/springs/UCAs install, alignment, and cmc to fit the bigger tires.
The price differenece may just be the diff between PA prices and CA prices? In any case, I'm at the mercy of the shops 'round here because I don't have the tools to replace this stuff myself.
What UCA's, shocks and springs?

Back