• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Vibration and engine sputter

Purple_heart_flag_company

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Have a weird issue... my engine seems like its sputtering at all speeds and also have a vibration, seems in the driveline. I have bilstein 5100s front and rear. Front set at 1.1 and 1 inch rear block. Have 265/70r17 falken wildpeak at3w, on trd pro wheels. Was wondering if maybe I need to shim the rear or do a carrier bearing drop, but with only 1 inch of lift wasnt sure if that was the cause. Already did the needle bearing for the ecgs bushing... this vibration is driving me crazy and now the engine sputter makes me want to buy a different truck. Any help is appreciated! Thanks.
inbound1208906389672774156.jpg

Ok, well you gave us about this much to work with:

Yeah, not a lot..... What do you mean sputter? At idle, under throttle, decel? Wants to die, feels gutless, literally makes a sputtering sound?
Vibration constant at any speed? get faster or slower? RPM or speed dependent? Felt in the wheel or in your seat?Rotated tires to see if anything changes? Was all the work done at the same time?

Upvote 0
I would getbyou wheels re balanced somewhere else carrier bearing and driveshaft unlikely exspecially with that tiny lift. As for the sputtering I'd take it to the dealer and have them check ,what year is it ? Did you install aftermarket air filter how many Miles
There is a recall on the crankshaft sensor that may cause some sputtering

Upvote 0
Ok, well you gave us about this much to work with:

Yeah, not a lot..... What do you mean sputter? At idle, under throttle, decel? Wants to die, feels gutless, literally makes a sputtering sound?
Vibration constant at any speed? get faster or slower? RPM or speed dependent? Felt in the wheel or in your seat?Rotated tires to see if anything changes? Was all the work done at the same time?

Like I said sputter is at all speeds. Literally sounds like an old train, but a fast sputter. All work done at the same time and vibration started about 10k miles after lift.
My main question is would the one inch block cause that much of a driveline issue and would that be the main culprit... even though it started 10k miles after lift?

Upvote 0
I would getbyou wheels re balanced somewhere else carrier bearing and driveshaft unlikely exspecially with that tiny lift. As for the sputtering I'd take it to the dealer and have them check ,what year is it ? Did you install aftermarket air filter how many Miles
There is a recall on the crankshaft sensor that may cause some sputtering

Stock air box, crankshaft sensor replaced 20k miles ago, not sure why the vibration would 10k miles after lift. Might try shimming to get a better angle or see if tires lost balance.

Upvote 0
If vibration started after lift I'd first go around and re torque everything that was installed and definitely the u bolts just incase somthing backed off

Upvote 0
Back