• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Used oil analysis

2023TxTaco

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
So I did a UOA on the Tacoma. 9500 miles on the truck, 4721 miles on this change. This was the 4th oil change
.How's it look for a 2gr-fks with 9500 total miles?
Dustin

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231117_191851_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20231117_191851_Samsung Notes.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 77
I don't understand the question. You are using a lot of abbreviations. According to the manual if you are using synthetic you only need one oil change every 10k though.

Upvote 0
So I did a UOA on the Tacoma. 9500 miles on the truck, 4721 miles on this change. This was the 4th oil change
Dustin
Looks fine, metals are still a little high but this normal on break-in.

Upvote 0
I don't understand the question. You are using a lot of abbreviations. According to the manual if you are using synthetic you only need one oil change every 10k though.
5k OCI’s are much better and recommended by Toyota, particularly if you do a lot of short trips.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
5k OCI’s are much better and recommended by Toyota, particularly if you do a lot of short trips.
No, 10k is what's in the manual. That's the recommendation from Toyota. If your dealer recommends more, then remember they get paid for oil changes. Synthetic simply does not need to be changed as often as conventional oil. Changing synthetic oil with the same regularity as conventional oil is just wasteful.

Upvote 0
Looks fine, metals are still a little high but this normal on break-in.
I'm no expert, but how you get the metal numbers are high?
I threw it in the Blacstone format and compared it to averages.
The only numbers that seem a little high was Copper and Tin. Even then the values didn't seem significantly higher.

Dustin
Just from comparing to other tests, I think it looks good.
Only things that seemed to vary was Molybdenum, Calcium, Magnesium and Phosphorous. Those are all anti-wear additives.
Next time I'd say go with Blackstone Labs, since it seems the most common. That way it's easier to compare and see differences. The lab also includes synopsis analysis of your oil. I just averaged the first 2 results I came across.

YOURSAVERAGES
ALUMINUM
0​
2.5​
CHROMIUM
0​
0​
IRON
9​
7.5​
COPPER
10​
3​
LEAD
0​
1​
TIN
8​
0.5​
MOLYBDENUM
400​
101.5​
NICKEL
1​
0​
MANGANESE
1​
0​
SILVER
0​
0​
TITANIUM
0​
2​
POTASSIUM
1​
1.5​
BORON
29​
47​
SILICON
24​
16​
SODIUM
7​
36​
CALCIUM
2289​
1594​
MAGNESIUM
16​
402​
PHOSPHORUS
836​
683.5​
ZINC
1000​
797.5​
BARIUM
0​
0​

Upvote 0
No, 10k is what's in the manual. That's the recommendation from Toyota. If your dealer recommends more, then remember they get paid for oil changes. Synthetic simply does not need to be changed as often as conventional oil. Changing synthetic oil with the same regularity as conventional oil is just wasteful.
It’s difficult for many to believe that marketing takes priority over engineering in the USER manual.

Source: https://youtu.be/v4JS7PybV2k?si=SM0y19G1wY4MmZg6

Attachments

• IMG_1242.jpeg
    IMG_1242.jpeg
    75 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1243.jpeg
    IMG_1243.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1337.jpeg
    IMG_1337.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 46
Upvote 0
The only numbers that seem a little high was Copper and Tin. Even then the values didn't seem significantly higher.

Only things that seemed to vary was Molybdenum, Calcium, Magnesium and Phosphorous. Those are all anti-wear additives.
Next time I'd say go with Blackstone Labs, since it seems the most common. That way it's easier to compare and see differences. The lab also includes synopsis analysis of your oil. I just averaged the first 2 results I came across.

YOURSAVERAGES
ALUMINUM
0​
2.5​
CHROMIUM
0​
0​
IRON
9​
7.5​
COPPER
10​
3​
LEAD
0​
1​
TIN
8​
0.5​
MOLYBDENUM
400​
101.5​
NICKEL
1​
0​
MANGANESE
1​
0​
SILVER
0​
0​
TITANIUM
0​
2​
POTASSIUM
1​
1.5​
BORON
29​
47​
SILICON
24​
16​
SODIUM
7​
36​
CALCIUM
2289​
1594​
MAGNESIUM
16​
402​
PHOSPHORUS
836​
683.5​
ZINC
1000​
797.5​
BARIUM
0​
0​
Averages is based on submitted information, it’s not necessarily something to strive towards. This is a pretty good example. My motor is still too new for a UOA, I’m definitely interested in see how she looks.

Attachments

• IMG_2881.jpeg
    IMG_2881.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 44
Upvote 0
The manual also give stipulations that decrease the oil change interval to 5K. It’s called severe schedule. Guess you didn’t take note of that on the manual? Many owners will fall into the severe category if they read the manual.

Many experienced Toyota techs warn against pushing oil changes out to 10 K.

It’s wonderful to have an opinion. It’s also great to not try to push that upon other people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It’s wonderful to have an opinion. It’s also great to not try to push that upon other people.
Are you familiar with the concept of a mirror?

No one who uses their truck as a daily driver is meeting the requirements of severe schedule. That is really only valid for work trucks in extreme edge cases and if you are joining a fan forum for Tacomas you are not doing it for your work truck.

If you want to blow your money on redundant oil changes because you think you use your truck SUPER XTREME!!! then that's your prerogative. Don't go trying to get other people to waste their money with unnecessary and wasteful maintenance.

I'm starting to wonder if yours is just a troll account. If so, may I suggest Tacomaworld.com. *Ignored

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you familiar with the concept of a mirror?

No one who uses their truck as a daily driver is meeting the requirements of severe schedule. That is really only valid for work trucks in extreme edge cases and if you are joining a fan forum for Tacomas you are not doing it for your work truck.

If you want to blow your money on redundant oil changes because you think you use your truck SUPER XTREME!!! then that's your prerogative. Don't go trying to get other people to waste their money with unnecessary and wasteful maintenance.

I'm starting to wonder if yours is just a troll account. As such I will be blocking you.
So I disagree with your outlandish claims, provide information that is listed in the manual that you so greatly covet, and you call me a troll?

Thank you for blocking me, bless your heart…..Merry Christmas

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YOURSAVERAGES
ALUMINUM
0​
2.5​
CHROMIUM
0​
0​
IRON
9​
7.5​
COPPER
10​
3​
LEAD
0​
1​
TIN
8​
0.5​
MOLYBDENUM
400​
101.5​
NICKEL
1​
0​
MANGANESE
1​
0​
SILVER
0​
0​
TITANIUM
0​
2​
POTASSIUM
1​
1.5​
BORON
29​
47​
SILICON
24​
16​
SODIUM
7​
36​
CALCIUM
2289​
1594​
MAGNESIUM
16​
402​
PHOSPHORUS
836​
683.5​
ZINC
1000​
797.5​
BARIUM
0​
0​

What air filter are you using?

Upvote 0
What air filter are you using?
My air filter is irrelevant. I never sent my oil in. Numbers and stuff were just ones I found online.
I understand averages are more of a baseline. If they knew the ideals numbers, they would show that and not averages.
I based my input on the analysis of Blackstone and what they documented for those users.

Upvote 0
My air filter is irrelevant. I never sent my oil in. Numbers and stuff were just ones I found online.
I understand averages are more of a baseline. If they knew the ideals numbers, they would show that and not averages.
I based my input on the analysis of Blackstone and what they documented for those users.
OK so the silicon numbers on that chart you posted. They seemed a bit high. Guess I missed the statement where you averaged a couple you found.

Upvote 0
Amsoil signature series every 5k miles or 6months for the absolute best protection. Using amsoil can definitely help prevent oil leaks as well

Upvote 0
Back