• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Upgrading to 285/70R17 for my ORD, should I grab a full-sized spare?

TacoDerek

5️⃣ Platinum
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cement
I've finally decided to pull the trigger on putting some bigger tires on my taco, going from stock 265/70R16 to to 285/70R17 KO2s on Motegi MR150 wheels, and I've found a decent price at Discount Tire. However, since I'll be bumping up about 2" in size over stock, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to go ahead and get a fifth one and just make sure I rotate my tires to ensure I've always got a ready spare. From what I've read, that wheel/tire combo will fit under the truck, but is it worth it to buy a $450 spare? I've tried coming up with pros and cons, and aside from spending extra money upfront being a con, I'm only finding pros. Thoughts?

It will def fit. I fit a 285/75 16 in the spare spot with a little extra room. Not much but enough.

Thanks! I ended up getting a full size spare. I currently have it in the bed since the guys at Discount Tire felt uneasy about putting it under the truck because they thought the rim might get scratched. I'm looking at getting a swing-out rear bumper with a tire mount now though. Just adding it to the list of more stuff I want to do to the truck!

Thought about asking this same question, good to see someone got to it first. @TacoDerek
It will def fit. I fit a 285/75 16 in the spare spot with a little extra room. Not much but enough.
Mind sending pictures? I've glanced under my bed and didn't think there was enough room. I run 285/75/16s for reference.

Thought about asking this same question, good to see someone got to it first. @TacoDerek

Mind sending pictures? I've glanced under my bed and didn't think there was enough room. I run 285/75/16s for reference.
I just checked and it's close, really close at the at the rear diff housing but it's enough to clear it.

Attachments

• tempImageJtd1la.png
    tempImageJtd1la.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 123
  • tempImagedk7Vmc.png
    tempImagedk7Vmc.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 132
Thanks for that, man. Wow, talk about a tight fit.
Yeah I honestly didn't realize how close it really was until you asked me to post a pic. It went up no prob so I figured I was easily "ok". I think I was more concerned with the driver passenger sides than the rear diff housing. Glad it made it though haha.

Yeah I honestly didn't realize how close it really was until you asked me to post a pic. It went up no prob so I figured I was easily "ok". I think I was more concerned with the driver passenger sides than the rear diff housing. Glad it made it though haha.
If you do not mind me asking, but it seems like you have a 6' bed, correct?

Back