• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Upgrade CV axles with a front locker?

You guys know any good brands of cv axles or share a link with me? Thanks

Just to add my 2¢.

My truck is a 2017 with Nitro Gear 5.29s. It still has stock CVs. Over the years, I have abused the truck in all the possible ways off roading. Like, I hardly make an attempt to be smart and avoid damage. I’ve had 35s, 35s with no sway bar, and now 37s. My truck is about 7,800 lbs, with 37s on it, driving all over the country, off roading in places like Moab etc. I have broken most other things under the truck but still not the stock CVs.

I kind of think of it like this: If you let the CV axle be your weak point, you probably won’t break those expensive Nitro Gears because the CV will snap first. But if you beef up the CVs (and the aftermarket options are beeeefy), the weak point probably shifts to the gears inside the diff and you know what that means.

Last edited:
Just to add my 2¢.

My truck is a 2017 with Nitro Gear 5.29s. It still has stock CVs. Over the years, I have abused the truck in all the possible ways off roading. Like, I hardly make an attempt to be smart and avoid damage. I’ve had 35s, 35s with no sway bar, and now 37s. My truck is about 7,800 lbs, with 37s on it, driving all over the country, off roading in places like Moab etc. I have broken most other things under the truck but still not the stock CVs.

I kind of think of it like this: If you let the CV axle be your weak point, you probably won’t break those expensive Nitro Gears because the CV will snap first. But if you beef up the CVs (and the aftermarket options are beeeefy), the weak point probably shifts to the gears inside the diff and you know what that means.
Thanks. I never thought about that

I just had front (and rear) lockers put in at ECGS last week and they did not necessarily seem to think a CV upgrade was that pressing.

I agree with Tyler. I’m re-geared with a ARB locker in the front and the factory e-locker in the rear with no problems.

This 100%

Back