• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Maintenance unusual shake causing uneven tire wear

Heythatseddie

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
I own a 2019 Tacoma TRD sport 4x4 leveling kit is 3” front 1” back and diff drop also on 285/70/17 my trucks been lifted and on this tire size for roughly a year and 8 months but my issue began 2 weeks ago and I have barley been driving it since I noticed…
so around 20-35mph I get this weird shake/vibration from what I believe to be coming from the rear end of the truck it also feels as if my steering wheel is a lot loose when turning. I cannot figure out for the life of me what the issue is and neither can any shop I’ve been to. I bought new tires over the weekend and still same issue. I cannot afford to be paying unnecessary amounts of money and still have this issue occur. Please someone help me out I need my truck back to normal 🫠

Might just need to get an alignment and/or rebalance your tires. I've got a similar issue and it's cause I need both

Rear end could be bearings. Easy to check. The front could be worn ball joints. Have it checked before aligning. Make sure the tires are road balanced. Not every where can do that. Most just static balance.

Rear end could be bearings. Easy to check. The front could be worn ball joints. Have it checked before aligning. Make sure the tires are road balanced. Not every where can do that. Most just static balance.
What's road balanced?

It still spins the tire, but a roller is pressed against the tire to simulate driving on the road. It also performs a much more complex set of calculations to insure a better ballance. Larger and heavier tires benefit more than smaller lighter ones. Anytime you lift a vehicle it's bet to road balance so that you can be assured any vibration isn't tire/wheel related.

If you put the truck in 4wd does the vibration stop? If so you probably need to do the ECGS carrier bearing up front. Pretty common on these after lifting.

It's hard to diagnose random vibrations but ruling out wheels/tires is a good start. Should not need any shims or driveline spacers in the rear with a 1" block, but double check the leaf packs and u-bolts are properly torqued.

Back