• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Unequal ride height left vs right

CalifExplorer

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Website
www.wilmatthewsphoto.com
2016 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Hi and apologies if this is addressed elsewhere (plz direct me if so)
Just installed Icon stage 1 suspension with Icon AAL in my '16 TRD OR LB and the truck rides GREAT. No changes to front spring height; went on straight out of box and put truck about where I wanted it. All good, but I see the left (driver) side body height is 1" higher than right side. I think I recall hearing somewhere Tacomas are prone to this- true? How is it best remedied?

It's called the "taco lean" and the driver side is usually lower due to the battery, gas tank, and driver being on that side. Typically this is fixed with a spacer on the driver side.

Not sure why your driver side would be a full inch higher. I'd double check that the struts on the driver & passenger sides look the same. Sometimes the spring seat on the strut is installed upside down which will give extra height and a rough ride.

If everything checks out, you can add a 1/4" spacer to the passenger side to see if that fixes it.

The spacer is usually just on the driver front, or the coilovers are adjusted higher on the driver side front to push the passenger rear down a bit. Your situation of the driver side being higher is not the norm. Double check everything as something could be off.

edit because I explained it opposite of the norm. I think I got twisted thinking about the way your suspension is currently sitting, higher on the driver, which is not the norm. The normal "taco lean" is the drivers side (especially the rear) sitting lower than the passenger.

Last edited:
Back