• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Undercoat and Ceramic Coating

bonifacio

8️⃣ Paragon
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Website
www.bracestraps.com
2019 TRD OR
Cement
Anyone have these services done? Whether it's from the dealer, a specialty shop or Amazon kit.
Shops charges some nutty prices and I've seen those bottles where you can apply it yourself. Even if not professionally done, is there any benefit? Doesn't last as long or apply more frequently.

Looking for feedback on if it's worth it. Would you do it again?

I'm in New Hampshire and most people here go balls to the wall with undercoating their vehicles. I guess I'm one of the rare ones that doesn't like caking that stuff on. But I'm also very anal about cleaning my truck throughout winter so I really have very minimal surface rust in some small spots that can be easily cleaned up and painted. If you don't want to have to worry about the underside of your truck then go for it. Also with the expensive suspension I have I don't want that crap getting all over it. Most shops wont be very neat and will get it on your exhaust, suspension etc. Another note, If you coat everything, it can make future maintenance a bit more of a pain as you'll most likely coat bolts and stuff with the coating. Also adds a layer of stuff a grinder would have to get through if you ever need/want to weld something like shock relocation, bump stop mounts etc. I know I've made a lot of negative points lol but it obviously does have a good purpose and the right coating will definitely help. If you want to do it yourself I would recommend getting woolwax. You can get a box of 12 cans on amazon for like $150. I don't know what shops charge in your area so that's on you. Personally I might end up coating just the inside of the frame just because that is the hardest to clean. I already did a little bit of it as a test run kind of. Most people have it applied once a year as well.

Upvote 0
As far as ceramic coating, that depends on your level of skill with detailing a vehicle. If you don't have much knowledge or skill dealing with paint correction then I would leave it to a professional. If you know how to properly correct your paint then I would say you could deal with ceramic coating yourself. I plan to do some paint correction on my truck this year and either ceramic coat or just apply a sealant or wax. Ceramic coating is the more expensive route but I have heard great things. Also if a someone tries to tell you ceramic coating will last ten years, they're full of crap lol.

Upvote 0
As far as ceramic coating, that depends on your level of skill with detailing a vehicle. If you don't have much knowledge or skill dealing with paint correction then I would leave it to a professional. If you know how to properly correct your paint then I would say you could deal with ceramic coating yourself. I plan to do some paint correction on my truck this year and either ceramic coat or just apply a sealant or wax. Ceramic coating is the more expensive route but I have heard great things. Also if a someone tries to tell you ceramic coating will last ten years, they're full of crap lol.
I was ultimately hoping to find a friend that's done painting, bodywork or detailing supply the juice and let them just apply it.
I'm horrible with washing my vehicles so I wanted something just to protect the paint a little. Temporary peace of mind.

Upvote 0
I was ultimately hoping to find a friend that's done painting, bodywork or detailing supply the juice and let them just apply it.
I'm horrible with washing my vehicles so I wanted something just to protect the paint a little. Temporary peace of mind.
Yeah I would just let someone else do it since detailing isn't your forte. It's best to correct the paint first before either ceramic coating, sealing or waxing. Nothing you couldn't learn though

Upvote 0
i had mine ceramic coated by the dealer before i picked it up. it supposedly has a 10 year warranty against spotting and fading but we'll see how that works out. my house is on a well and the water spots really bad so i usually go to the automatic wash in town. i'll be sure to post if i have any issues with the paint.

Upvote 0
I went with the Woolwax and Fluid Film kit and sprayed it myself. Turned out great. It was about 200 bucks. I got enough leftover to do another car. I sprayed my truck when it only had 8 miles on it. Good luck.

Attachments

• 02561A8D-BAC9-4011-9B8C-98B853F2DC60.jpeg
    02561A8D-BAC9-4011-9B8C-98B853F2DC60.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0
So I went cheap and used Turtle Wax's ceramic spray coating. Goes on quick, lasts as long or longer than a regular carnauba wax job, and dirt falls right off with usually just a quick spray afterwards. Washing still required for grime, but for $30-40 per bottle which does 5 or 6 total vehicle applications, it works great.

Upvote 0
So I went cheap and used Turtle Wax's ceramic spray coating. Goes on quick, lasts as long or longer than a regular carnauba wax job, and dirt falls right off with usually just a quick spray afterwards. Washing still required for grime, but for $30-40 per bottle which does 5 or 6 total vehicle applications, it works great.
So 1-2 months?

Upvote 0
It lasts 3-6 depending on weather and how often I wash it.
Might be the route I'll take. Haven't really looked into it. But it's sounds like it applies the same as Meguiar's Quik Detailer. So it's convenient and better than nothing.

Upvote 0
Back