• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

UCAs Installation

Humble_Station12

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 DCSB
Blazing Blue Pearl
I am trying to get the bolt that is holding the UCA and am having a hard time getting it out. It is positioned very awkwardly and after many YouTube videos I find myself struck.

Please if anyone has any tips to help me get this stubborn bolt out that would be greatly appreciated

driver or passenger side? passenger side was a REALLY tight squeeze I had to use a punch and hit it the whole way out because the like washer part of the bolt head scraped the tub the whole way through

Driver side, haven't been able to move past this so didnt want to start on the passenger side

Driver side, haven't been able to move past this so didnt want to start on the passenger side
sorry i ended up falling alseep before I could provide more help, but you have to bend the metal and kind of punch the bolts through and around this one wiring harness, if it wasn't budging once you had the bolt off then it must've been rusted on.

It's a pain, just know that. You're not doing it wrong, it's just a pain.

That said, there is a trick that can help. just in front of the is a small rubber body mount just smaller than a hockey puck. Loosening that bolt can allow a bit of flex in the body panel that the bolt is getting hung up on.

I've done it at least 3-4 times and i find a hammer and long screwdriver to be the way to go and just hammer that bastard in and out. haha

Also, make sure you re-install correctly with the bolt being put back in from the front of the truck. Cheating and going the easier route from the rear of the truck can have catastrophic consequences in the bolt falling out while driving.
Hope that helps. Good luck, you'll get through it.

It's a pain, just know that. You're not doing it wrong, it's just a pain.

That said, there is a trick that can help. just in front of the is a small rubber body mount just smaller than a hockey puck. Loosening that bolt can allow a bit of flex in the body panel that the bolt is getting hung up on.

I've done it at least 3-4 times and i find a hammer and long screwdriver to be the way to go and just hammer that bastard in and out. haha

Also, make sure you re-install correctly with the bolt being put back in from the front of the truck. Cheating and going the easier route from the rear of the truck can have catastrophic consequences in the bolt falling out while driving.
Hope that helps. Good luck, you'll get through it.

Well that's a relief to hear honestly because its be a huge PAIN! I will try to find the rubber body mount and see if that helps with getting the bolt out.

Thank you for the heads up about reinstalling the bolt incorrectly. Not going to lie, the idea crossed my mind more than once but I figured there was a reason Toyota had it this way.

sorry i ended up falling alseep before I could provide more help, but you have to bend the metal and kind of punch the bolts through and around this one wiring harness, if it wasn't budging once you had the bolt off then it must've been rusted on.

No the bolt does move but I am just having an issue getting it passed the metal. I will see if I can bend the metal more today and get the bolt out. Crossing my fingers it comes out because this took way longer than anticipated! Thank you for responding and giving me some help.

No the bolt does move but I am just having an issue getting it passed the metal. I will see if I can bend the metal more today and get the bolt out. Crossing my fingers it comes out because this took way longer than anticipated! Thank you for responding and giving me some help.

Like I said, loosening that body mount can give you a bit more wiggle room. Not much, but some people say it's the difference maker in their install. Once it's loose you can fulcrum on that sheet metal and get it to flex out of the way a bit more.

Me, I just take a long flat head screwdriver, place it under the flange on the head of the bolt, and hammer it out. ?

UPDATE....

After banging away at it and bending metal and even removing the battery to get better leverage... the bolt has finally come out!!

Thank you to everyone who gave me suggestions, hopefully the passenger side is a little easier!

Back