• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

tuning

Eagle1912

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2022 SR5 DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
Towing a travel trailer with my 2022 Double cab. It does ok but looking for some way to improve power. Looked at CAI but there does not seem to be a consistent consensus on those. Looked at dual cat-back exhaust, but, to be honest, not thrilled about the additional sound. The other thing that I am keeping in mind is the impact on mileage for my day-to-day commute. Now looking at these devices that change the tune. The truck already has a tow function that changes the shift points, which is helpful. Any ideas?

PS...I completely expect that finding the solution to rank right up there with finding a unicorn

Best option is to get a custom tune by someone that's using VF tuning software. There are a bunch of different tunes out there. Or if you really want to throw money at it, supercharge it 😂

I guess my question is if one tune would satisfy the power need for towing but still maintain the gas mileage for commuting. I am seeing gadgets that let you choose your tune, suggesting that there is a difference. I am completely out of my comfort zone here.

Tuning provides a nice drivability improvement making the throttle feel more responsive and slightly increasing power. It is not going to make towing go from suck to great. It will go from suck to very slightly suck less. The biggest thing a tune will do to help with towing is maybe adjust trans shifting more to your liking but that depends on the tune chosen.

I would suggest a regear. The gearing on the stock axles for the automatic is very tall and not conducive to towing or anything that needs power. You could regear all the way to 5.29, gain a huge towing improvement, and still cruise the highway at reasonable rpm.

I would not touch the exhaust or intake. Those make no real differences at all in performance, they will run your wallet dry, and they will add noise.

Make sure ECT power is on when towing.

Great discussion...thank you. I am not unhappy with the towing, just seeing what would be involved in improving it. I do use the ECT, and have found that I can shut it off on down hills and some flats to drop rpms

I really like the bronze wheels on the magnetic gray. Good choice there

re-gearing is definitely a great option, it is just expensive. But if you have the funds, I would do that over a tune.

And thanks! Bronze wheels seem to great with a lot of Tacoma colors lol.

Back