• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Truck pulling to the right real bad

SilverBullet3g

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2017 Sport DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
So I’ve done a post about this previous but I thought I’d go back into it now that I have an alignment sheet.

I finally went to an alignment shop the other day that actually gives out alignment sheets and the guy tells me that the truck is perfectly in line.

He checks the frame and all the other components of the front end to see if anything else has went out like ball joints, tire rods, etc. Basically anything that could be making the truck pull.

He ends up not even charging me the $75 for the alignment as he really didn’t do any work.

I’ve had my tires rotated and balanced several times to see if swapping the tires around would eliminate the pulling and it really never does. It’ll make it drive a little better on the way home but then will go away.

Btw, I have 35x18x12.5s Atturo M/Ts on a 6” Pro Comp lift.

So my question is, what could be making my truck pull?
Here is a picture of the alignment computer screen as his printer was messed up.

Attachments

• 5F4E69A1-0FEF-4277-B981-A5AB4E538288.jpeg
    5F4E69A1-0FEF-4277-B981-A5AB4E538288.jpeg
    182.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 9E1441F2-B621-4BD8-B99F-C1F9485CA86F.jpeg
    9E1441F2-B621-4BD8-B99F-C1F9485CA86F.jpeg
    131.7 KB · Views: 119
Is your rear axle centered properly and leaf spring u bolts are tight? I’m assuming there’s blocks in the rear

Upvote 0
I have no idea. How can I check these things?
And I would assume the U bolts would be tight or it would be rattling or falling off right?

Upvote 0
I have no idea. How can I check these things?
And I would assume the U bolts would be tight or it would be rattling or falling off right?
Just take measurements of where your wheel is sitting on the drivers side compared to the passenger side. If the axle isn’t straight it could be making it feel like your pulling one way. I would say check the torque on your u bolt nuts but just throw a wrench on there and make sure they’re not loose. Is it a really excessive pull to the right?

Upvote 0
Not to make you go down a rabbit hole on something else, but if your alignment is good (I don't know enough about it to say it is good or not) and everything is balanced, it could be that the combination of your wheel backspacing (or offset - depending on your point of reference), your tire diameter, and your 6" lift have affected your scrub radius. In very simple terms, the scrub radius is where your tires' contact patch engages the road with respect to your suspension and wheel/tire setup. So when you change your suspension, tires, and wheels it alters the scrub radius from the stock location and can cause the vehicle to feel like it is pulling when breaking or accelerating.

Also, I read some threads on TW about alignment and some guys have their driver side and passenger side aligned slightly different from one side to the other to counter the pulling.

Check this out for more information on scrub radius:

Upvote 0
Not to make you go down a rabbit hole on something else, but if your alignment is good (I don't know enough about it to say it is good or not) and everything is balanced, it could be that the combination of your wheel backspacing (or offset - depending on your point of reference), your tire diameter, and your 6" lift have affected your scrub radius. In very simple terms, the scrub radius is where your tires' contact patch engages the road with respect to your suspension and wheel/tire setup. So when you change your suspension, tires, and wheels it alters the scrub radius from the stock location and can cause the vehicle to feel like it is pulling when breaking or accelerating.

Also, I read some threads on TW about alignment and some guys have their driver side and passenger side aligned slightly different from one side to the other to counter the pulling.

Check this out for more information on scrub radius:
So can you break it down for me in more simple terms? I’m not really a mechanic, and I’m just wondering, what exactly should I tell my local alignment shop?

That I want them to align my truck to the left, to counteract the pull to the right?

Upvote 0
TL;DR - I don't know what exactly you should tell your local alignment shop or if you should tell them that you want them to align it to counteract the pulling.

Full disclaimer - I've pretty much reached the limit of what I understand about alignment and scrub radius.

The threads I read on TW did not go into specifics on what the different alignments were from driver side to passenger side. If I can find those threads again, I'll send them your way and you can use your judgement.

In any case, I'm not a mechanic either and I don't know enough about alignments to tell you what you should say to your alignment shop. In my previous post here, I was suggesting that it might not completely be related to your alignment. Read that article I sent and watch the video. That explains a fair bit about a vehicle pulling to one side or the other due to the location of ground contact a tire has with respect to the suspension (i.e. scrub radius). So having wide tires and wheels with large negative offset (small backspacing), or large spacers that push your wheels out giving you a lot of poke, could be the cause of the pulling issue. I don't know what the numbers are, but it's different for every set up. Scrub radius might not even be your issue, but it might play into it as well. There may be a few different things contributing to the pulling and not one specific thing.

As StormRnr said in your thread about your clutch and axle, it's hard to diagnose the exact cause of an issue on a forum and that your best bet would be to take it to an off road-specific truck shop. Discount Tire, Pepboys, gas station garages, Toyota dealers, etc. may not have the knowledge of alignments for lifted trucks that an off road-specific truck shop has, who specializes in lifts and big tires.

Some things to think about and keep in mind before talking to a shop:
- When do you feel the pulling? Is it constant? Is it only during braking? Is it only during acceleration? Is it during both braking and accelerating? Or during all three scenarios?
- What other issues might arise because you want your alignment changed to counteract the pulling? Uneven tire wear? Excessive wear on steering components?
- Are your tires wearing evenly right now? Uneven tire wear might be the cause of pulling.
- Are your brake pads wearing evenly or do you have a brake issue (pulling would only be noticed while braking in this case)?

Upvote 0
TL;DR - I don't know what exactly you should tell your local alignment shop or if you should tell them that you want them to align it to counteract the pulling.

Full disclaimer - I've pretty much reached the limit of what I understand about alignment and scrub radius.

The threads I read on TW did not go into specifics on what the different alignments were from driver side to passenger side. If I can find those threads again, I'll send them your way and you can use your judgement.

In any case, I'm not a mechanic either and I don't know enough about alignments to tell you what you should say to your alignment shop. In my previous post here, I was suggesting that it might not completely be related to your alignment. Read that article I sent and watch the video. That explains a fair bit about a vehicle pulling to one side or the other due to the location of ground contact a tire has with respect to the suspension (i.e. scrub radius). So having wide tires and wheels with large negative offset (small backspacing), or large spacers that push your wheels out giving you a lot of poke, could be the cause of the pulling issue. I don't know what the numbers are, but it's different for every set up. Scrub radius might not even be your issue, but it might play into it as well. There may be a few different things contributing to the pulling and not one specific thing.

As StormRnr said in your thread about your clutch and axle, it's hard to diagnose the exact cause of an issue on a forum and that your best bet would be to take it to an off road-specific truck shop. Discount Tire, Pepboys, gas station garages, Toyota dealers, etc. may not have the knowledge of alignments for lifted trucks that an off road-specific truck shop has, who specializes in lifts and big tires.

Some things to think about and keep in mind before talking to a shop:
- When do you feel the pulling? Is it constant? Is it only during braking? Is it only during acceleration? Is it during both braking and accelerating? Or during all three scenarios?
- What other issues might arise because you want your alignment changed to counteract the pulling? Uneven tire wear? Excessive wear on steering components?
- Are your tires wearing evenly right now? Uneven tire wear might be the cause of pulling.
- Are your brake pads wearing evenly or do you have a brake issue (pulling would only be noticed while braking in this case)?
I’ve taken it to a place that specializes in off road alignment. They’re one of the only places around me in Mississippi that actually gives alignment sheets. There’s not a whole lot of options here, especially when it comes to overlanding type parts.

It pulls to the right constantly. If you let go of the steering wheel then you’re going in the ditch.

If it’s wearing unevenly then it would just need new tires right? Cause I’ve done balancing and rotating and it never fixes anything.

They put like 11 ounces on one side one time and it straightened out a little for a few days then went back to shit after.

But then people say that if it’s pulling then it’s the alignment. But my truck is perfectly aligned with nothing bent or going out up under the front end.

So what can it be. How can a truck be pulling when everything is in check..

Upvote 0
I had a steering pull right after I move the passenger tire 1/2 inch forward due to tire rub…after I left the wheel alignment shop..steering had a hard right pulling ( shop said it might happen …went back they move the driver side forward 1/2 inch..it stop the pulling..became normal..

Before I did this ..I notice the driver side tire from factory was 1/2 more forward then passenger side..maybe as mention above you may need to move one side more forward or backwards…Note I have a SPC upper control arm..

Also you may want to try other alignment shops or. A auto body repair shop the does collision damages with alignment shop of there own…check for bent frame ? Or ? Ask them?
Aloha

Upvote 0
I'm as stumped as you are, particularly if everything is perfect, in line, and in check. Like I said, if I can find those TW threads about alignment, I'll send them your way.

Edit: To answer your other question - if it is uneven tire wear, you'll have to get new tires. Balancing won't pick up uneven wear unless the wear is not even from one side to the other across the diameter of the tire (like looking at your tire like the face of a clock - if the 12:00 tread wear is different than the 6:00 tread wear). This usually not the case since tread wear is usually observed across the width of your tread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sounds like a huge geometry problem. Combination of tires lift and everything else. Probably gonna have to take it someplace that specializes in off-road suspensions not just alignments and have them go through it.

Upvote 0
A busted belt can make that happen as well. I had that happen on my old tires. Front driver side belt broke and it always pulled hard left until I replaced the tires.

Upvote 0
So I noticed this earlier this morning and figured I’d post it and see if anyone can tell me anything.

The two pics where you can see the paint rubbed off on the lower control arm are obviously on my front passenger side. I took a pic of the left side control arm because they both looked as if they weren’t sitting right but I have no clue.

Is the tire rubbing it a really big deal? Or is that normal when your truck is pulling really bad?

Attachments

• 0488EFEC-3EC8-4BD0-AAE7-A871A7160436.jpeg
    0488EFEC-3EC8-4BD0-AAE7-A871A7160436.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 124
  • 21F366C1-011A-4DD7-8AB3-F53A8D165CD2.jpeg
    21F366C1-011A-4DD7-8AB3-F53A8D165CD2.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 110
  • AC3E3615-1C15-4586-9F17-4248BAC3CE77.jpeg
    AC3E3615-1C15-4586-9F17-4248BAC3CE77.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 115
Upvote 0
Back