• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

TRD Pro 16" x 7" Wheel/Tire Fit?

sdsponger

5️⃣ Platinum
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
Hey Everyone

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on upgrading my suspension and going with bigger tires. The issue I have is will I be able to keep my current wheels TRD Pro wheels (Part# PT7583517002 ) and upgrade to bigger tires? I've searched around and found conflicting info on whether it would be ok to run either 285/70 or 285/75r16 on my 16x7 inch wheels. Spec for these wheels is 265/70r16. I've heard people say they haven't had issues with uneven wear and others say they've had issues. Then there's the potential safety aspect. So, I'm still confused on the matter :confused:

Wondering if it would be better to buy new wheels, either 16x8 or 17x8 and not have to worry. Any insight is really appreciated!

Thanks

Hey Everyone

I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on upgrading my suspension and going with bigger tires. The issue I have is will I be able to keep my current wheels TRD Pro wheels (Part# PT7583517002 ) and upgrade to bigger tires? I've searched around and found conflicting info on whether it would be ok to run either 285/70 or 285/75r16 on my 16x7 inch wheels. Spec for these wheels is 265/70r16. I've heard people say they haven't had issues with uneven wear and others say they've had issues. Then there's the potential safety aspect. So, I'm still confused on the matter :confused:

Wondering if it would be better to buy new wheels, either 16x8 or 17x8 and not have to worry. Any insight is really appreciated!

Thanks
What potential safety aspect are you concerned over?
What suspension setup are you looking at
How much lift

Just cramming that much tire on a 7" wheel. Looking at some tire specs, 285s show a 7.5" - 9" wheel as being ideal.
Right now either King or Fox, UCAs and Dakar heavy duty, resulting in about 2-2.5 inches of lift.

Just cramming that much tire on a 7" wheel. Looking at some tire specs, 285s show a 7.5" - 9" wheel as being ideal.
Right now either King or Fox, UCAs and Dakar heavy duty, resulting in about 2-2.5 inches of lift.
Rim width doesn't really matter per tire size ,yes there is a recommendation but it's a recommendation nothing more , 285/70R16 is a good size and will give you minimal to no clearance issues
285/75R16 is like 1.1" larger should only have minimal rubbing issues
All that largly would relate to the time backspacing of course
But again depends what you want the look or do anything can fit eith sawzall

Last edited:
Good link, hadn't seen that one. Appreciate your replies, just wanted to clear up some of the confusion I was getting from other sources regarding my wheels.

Good link, hadn't seen that one. Appreciate your replies, just wanted to clear up some of the confusion I was getting from other sources regarding my wheels.
Glad to help, other sources can be extremly confusing. Some of the info I have seen out there boggles my mind. It's funny how information can change so much getting passed down person to person

Rim width doesn't really matter per tire size ,yes there is a recommendation but it's a recommendation nothing more , 285/70R16 is a good size and will give you minimal to no clearance issues
285/75R16 is like 1.1" larger should only have minimal rubbing issues
All that largly would relate to the time backspacing of course
But again depends what you want the look or do anything can fit eith sawzall

This is indeed a nice link with some good info. I don’t remember where I stumbled upon this info before, but it helped when I got a smoking deal in some t4r trd pro wheels which are 17x7, and was trying to figure out what kind of issues I may run in to if I ever decide to go to 285s.

There's plenty of people out there running 285/75/16 rubber on the TRD Pro wheels. Most have minimal rub. I would say go for it. ?

I was wondering the same thing when I got mine. But Discount Tire had no problem mounting them because they were in spec. And I never had a problem running them for a year.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm now running 35s on stock wheels and that is definitely NOT in spec, lol.

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Back