• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Transmission Problem?

soundersfc

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2020 TRD OR DCSB Auto
Cement
Hello all. I'm a new member here at Tacoma3G. Recently purchased a 2020 Tacoma OR (auto trans).

This afternoon I pulled up into my driveway, applied the brakes for about 1 minute and then started to pull into my garage. When I stepped on the gas, the truck didn't move. It sounded like the gears were not fully engaged, kind of a "spinning" sound (best way to describe it). Seemed to be coming from the front drivetrain. This happened right after driving 25 minutes to my house and never taking the truck out of drive. I should also note that I was stopped on an inclined driveway, and while the truck didn't roll backwards, it didn't move forward either.

I didn't run up the rpms much before releasing the throttle; but it was definitely enough that the truck should have moved forward. I even tried applying throttle a second time with the same result. I then put the trans into park, then back to drive and everything seemed back to normal. No lurching or grinding sounds at all. This is actually the second time this has happened. The first time was just after putting the vehicle in 4wd for the first time (back in 2wd when it happened).

Has anyone else had this happen? I did several searches here on the forum before posting this question but didn't see anything specific to my experience.

The truck is going to the dealer for a few additions tomorrow, so I'll run this by them as well. But I know that dealers can at times be dismissive when an issue is hard to replicate. So I thought I'd float this out to see if anyone can help.

Thanks in advance.

I’ve not heard of this before but it could be the hill assist. When you stop on a hill it “holds” the truck for a bit (mine has randomly just let go) to prevent it from rolling back.

But to make weird noises is not something I’ve noticed.

Upvote 0
I’ve not heard of this before but it could be the hill assist. When you stop on a hill it “holds” the truck for a bit (mine has randomly just let go) to prevent it from rolling back.

Sometimes I question my choice to go with a manual transmission. Usually when in traffic. Then a post like this comes along and I know I made the right decision.

Upvote 0
Sometimes I question my choice to go with a manual transmission. Usually when in traffic. Then a post like this comes along and I know I made the right decision.

You’d be surprised how nice it is though- offroad lol. Climbing something then having to stop without rolling back to much where you have to start the climb again.

But other than that I don’t care for it either.

Upvote 0

But to make weird noises is not something I’ve noticed.
Actually took the truck to the dealer, they are saying it is Driver's Assist and is by design. I will actually be speaking with the tech next week to learn more and will report back.

I did have the remote tailgate lock installed. Locks when you lock the truck with your fob. When you unlock with one push, the doors unlock; with a second push in succession the tailgate unlocks. Plus you can still use your key to unlock the tailgate if necessary.

Thanks again for the helpful feedback. Much appreciated.

Upvote 0
I totally get it - manual is better in so many ways. Mine is a daily driver AND I live in SoCal (Ventura area) ... traffic can be a pain. so I opted for an auto. Hopefully this decision will not bite me in the end. Take care.

Upvote 0
Hello all. I'm a new member here at Tacoma3G. Recently purchased a 2020 Tacoma OR (auto trans).

This afternoon I pulled up into my driveway, applied the brakes for about 1 minute and then started to pull into my garage. When I stepped on the gas, the truck didn't move. It sounded like the gears were not fully engaged, kind of a "spinning" sound (best way to describe it). Seemed to be coming from the front drivetrain. This happened right after driving 25 minutes to my house and never taking the truck out of drive. I should also note that I was stopped on an inclined driveway, and while the truck didn't roll backwards, it didn't move forward either.

I didn't run up the rpms much before releasing the throttle; but it was definitely enough that the truck should have moved forward. I even tried applying throttle a second time with the same result. I then put the trans into park, then back to drive and everything seemed back to normal. No lurching or grinding sounds at all. This is actually the second time this has happened. The first time was just after putting the vehicle in 4wd for the first time (back in 2wd when it happened).

Has anyone else had this happen? I did several searches here on the forum before posting this question but didn't see anything specific to my experience.

The truck is going to the dealer for a few additions tomorrow, so I'll run this by them as well. But I know that dealers can at times be dismissive when an issue is hard to replicate. So I thought I'd float this out to see if anyone can help.

Thanks in advance.
It’s normal it’s the traction control doing that
as a test turn the traction control off and go on the same spot and it probably won’t happen

Upvote 0

I have had the same issue multiple times that it seems that the transmission is not engage. It has happened twice on a hill, while i was approaching the peak i decided not to apply the brakes and just slow down to check traffic and to step on the gas if it was clear. However, when i stepped on the gas, the truck started rolling back to a point that i had to quickly step on the brakes. I took it the dealer and they found that the transmission fluid was very low. Since they have topped off the transmission fluid, it has only happened once but i am still worried.

Upvote 0
Back