• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Help! Transmission issues

geekspeed

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
Backstory: Had my RMS replaced in my 2017 4x2 Access Cab TRD Sport about 5k mi ago (warranty replacement after a leak was found). Shortly after I started noticing the truck really struggles at the 1-2 shift right around 1100 RPM. This just happens to be around 20mph and the perfect stop and go speed. Truck will start to buck and shake violently, blipping the throttle will get it to shift, no issue -- letting off drops it down...no issue. If you kick on the ECT it just moves the issue up to around 40mph -- but it's still there.

Trying to figure out whether this is:
* just the torque converter engaging early (the truck had never had a tsb before that major service -- maybe they did me a "solid" and flashed some updates)
* Dirty / thin diff fluid (they did a diff service at the same time)
* Something mechanically wrong with the transmission / torque converter / driveline

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated

Based on my very limited experience, my first thought is the fluid is low. I've heard some trucks left the factory low on ATF to begin with so that's where my mind went. Couple that with how you have to check the level in these trucks and there's plenty of opportunities for mistakes. Hopefully someone with more experience will jump in here, but this is my 2 cents.

Edit: Here's a video about checking the level hot vs. cold.

Original link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNcecuGzTDg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Adding this to the list of things for the dealership to check this week when I go in. The dealership is fairly good at the "could not reproduce game" so I usually go in with a list of things for them to verify for me and eventually they figure it out.
My son has always complained that shifts are rough, I guess I'm just used to it -- but the shudder at 1100-1200 rpm just reminds me of a manual when you are getting close to a stall at downshift.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Thanks for sharing the experience. Glad to hear they're working on a fix.

Upvote 0
Just an update: Took over a month to get the torque converter from Toyota and another week for the dealership to install. All was covered under warranty so I really can't complain too much, and I had an extra vehicle -- I laughed when the service writer asked if I did have a vehicle...when he called to tell me it was ready...a little late there bud.
Now it's just a matter of letting the ecu/tcu relearn my lead foot and get my mpg back to the 19s...Right now she is thirsty at 13.8...

Upvote 0
Back