• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Transfer case and royal purple

sonofcar

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCLB Auto
Cement
Who here is running OEM oil and who is running royal purple synchromax/non oem in your t cases?

After hours on the web looking for alternatives, I've decided to use the OEM syn oil/fluid or go with Ravenol MTF-75W That is the only fluid l have found approved for 3G Tacos. Myself l am going with Ravenol.

Besides Ravenol producing top of the line lubricants it has the full line of lubes for Toyota's.

Yes I have seen Royal Purple Syncromesh info. Although Royal Purple guarantees it's product for G3 Tacos, I would not go that way having other approved options on the market. Personally l rather be safe than sorry.

Just a note. If you're differential lub spec calls for OEM LT oil as does mine, I have gone with Mobil Delvac 1 that is a GL-5 without LS additives. Delvac is a excellent product particularly focused to heavy equipment and commercial transportation among other applications. I am by far not a Mobil fan but Delvac is altogether a different product that can be trusted although formulated by Mobil.

One last thought. I have not found a reliable source that can say if OEM WS atf fluid is a synthetic fluid. I do know that Ravenol and Redline do have a syn atf that does meet WS standard. This is the way I'm going. Additionally l use an inline 1/2" atf magnetic filter with connections on both ends to reduce the 1/2" inline filter to the 3/8" line coupled with a transmission cooler & fan with an on/off 170°/155° American Volt thermostat. As a reminder atf fluid must not run above 175° or it will soon die. Why have I gone with this modification is that the transmission case filter is there just to trap large particles but not micro non and magnetic debris. I replace the inline filter every 15K miles and full flush every 60K mi. Personally I am old school and cannot come to believe in lifetime trans fluid.

JUST SOME THOUGHTS

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I run RP synchromax. I think it's better than OEM + it's way easier to find and cheaper. I noticed way less 4lo gear whine after switching to RP.

Upvote 0
Back