• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

tpms!

TannerRay

3️⃣ Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Magnetic Gray
hi rookie question here. would it be easier/cheaper to purchase new and install myself or even take the sensors off my stock wheels and put them on my new trd wheels? as opposed to having it done at a shop. Some of the quotes i have been getting are pretty steep to have it done like 500/600$ on top of tires. but i found a set that fits my 2017 off-road on amazon for 114$. so is the installation and programming of these things that complicated that they charge so much to have it done?

i wanted to hopefully sell my trd off road wheels and good year wrangler tires as a set to offset the cash i’m putting up for new wheels and tires. so if i can avoid taking my stock ones off so i can get more for them in a sale i would like to. plus right now my choice for tire deal would be my local sams club and they’re just gonna mount the tire on the wheel, and i’m not sure if they can do anything about the sensors and programming them. so if i could get a system on there when i take the wheels to get mounted that would be my optimal scnerio. has anyone bought a set and installed successfully? a lot of comments on the set of sensors i’m looking at on amazon saying they still had their tpms light and had to take it to toyota to get them programmed correctly anyway.. i’d hate to go through the trouble to have to take it to toyota anyways and get with how ever much that would cost.

hi rookie question here. would it be easier/cheaper to purchase new and install myself or even take the sensors off my stock wheels and put them on my new trd wheels? as opposed to having it done at a shop. Some of the quotes i have been getting are pretty steep to have it done like 500/600$ on top of tires. but i found a set that fits my 2017 off-road on amazon for 114$. so is the installation and programming of these things that complicated that they charge so much to have it done?

i wanted to hopefully sell my trd off road wheels and good year wrangler tires as a set to offset the cash i’m putting up for new wheels and tires. so if i can avoid taking my stock ones off so i can get more for them in a sale i would like to. plus right now my choice for tire deal would be my local sams club and they’re just gonna mount the tire on the wheel, and i’m not sure if they can do anything about the sensors and programming them. so if i could get a system on there when i take the wheels to get mounted that would be my optimal scnerio. has anyone bought a set and installed successfully? a lot of comments on the set of sensors i’m looking at on amazon saying they still had their tpms light and had to take it to toyota to get them programmed correctly anyway.. i’d hate to go through the trouble to have to take it to toyota anyways and get with how ever much that would cost.
OEM Tpms sensors can be transferred to MOST AFTERMARKET rims , some rims may need aftermarket tpms .
The tpms just unscrews

My TPMS sensors were transferred from my factory off road rims to my new aftermarket ones with no issues

Not sure where you are located. I used to work for discount tire/ America’s tire. People would often come in with their own wheels and buy tires from us. We would just move over the original sensors into the new wheels. There’s no additional charge.
The process is as follows if you’re buying new tires and wheels:
1.Pop the bead of the tire on the sensor side
2. Hold the sensor in place so it doesn’t fall inside, otherwise you have to remove the whole tire
3. Unscrew sensor nut on the outside of the wheel
4. Pull the sensor out of the wheel and install on new wheel.

America’s tire/discount tire does this portion for free. They only charge installation of the wheels and tires.

Hopefully this helps

Back