• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

TPMS reset?

gene158

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2018 Sport DCSB Auto
Silver Sky
I recently installed 17x8.5 ray10s and 265/70/17 falken wild peaks. I had new sensors put in the new wheel/tire setup and sold the stock wheel/tire setup including the stock sensors. When town fair tire mounted the tires, they said they programmed the new sensors for my truck but also mentioned that the tpms dash light would probably come on and I'd have to bring it back so they could reprogram the truck. Well the light is on. I know there's the tpms reset button but after reading the manual it looks like that just activates the system or something; I was confused honestly. Can I use that button to reset the system or whatever so the new sensors will work properly?

That button doesn't program the tpms to work. Sounds strange they said to bring it back but it looks like that's what you'll have to do. They're on the hook to to fix it.

The sensors need to be programmed into the truck and normally, they can force the TPMS light to go off in the dash. But, if not, there are instructions in your manual as well. I believe you have to hold the TPMS reset button down until it blinks a certain number of times, then drive it X amount of miles. I forget the exact number. If by that X amount of miles the light does not turn off, they did not program the TPMS into the truck correctly. And before you hit and hold the reset button, make sure that your tire pressures are correct. The reset button is more like a re-calibrate button.

I reused my stock sensors. On my old Tacoma I bought new sensors and they were never able to program with the truck so I had to put the stock ones back into them. Hopefully that’s not that case with you

I recently installed 17x8.5 ray10s and 265/70/17 falken wild peaks. I had new sensors put in the new wheel/tire setup and sold the stock wheel/tire setup including the stock sensors. When town fair tire mounted the tires, they said they programmed the new sensors for my truck but also mentioned that the tpms dash light would probably come on and I'd have to bring it back so they could reprogram the truck. Well the light is on. I know there's the tpms reset button but after reading the manual it looks like that just activates the system or something; I was confused honestly. Can I use that button to reset the system or whatever so the new sensors will work properly?
What sensors are in there right now ?
Somtimes r for it to work the trucks computer needs to know the ID number of the sensor and most likely the frequency range in order for it to do its thing, right now your truck is sending signal to your factory tpms but not receiving signal back , while your new tpms is just waiting for some love. Unfortunately aftermarket tpms sensors and 3rd gen tacomas right now are hit and miss

What sensors are in there right now ?
Somtimes r for it to work the trucks computer needs to know the ID number of the sensor and most likely the frequency range in order for it to do its thing, right now your truck is sending signal to your factory tpms but not receiving signal back , while your new tpms is just waiting for some love. Unfortunately aftermarket tpms sensors and 3rd gen tacomas right now are hit and miss
I'm not sure what the new sensors are.

Back