• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

TPAM Mount Power Upgrade - More Power and Proper Charging!

Hodakaguy

7️⃣ Connoisseur
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
Time for a TPAM mount power upgrade.

I absolutely love my TPAM mount but it came with a cheap low power USB charger that won't charge my Garmin Montana and charges my phone very slowly. This is really my only complaint with the TPAM...time to fix it. I'll swap the original unit out with a Blue Sea 4.8A unit (2.4A per channel) that will be better suited to charge the Montana, Tablets etc. NOTE: Jeff from ExpeditionEssentials saw my post and may start offering the Blue Sea chargers with the TPAM when you order....Nice!

First removed the TPAM from the truck. Here you can see the low power charger I'll be replacing. It's quickly removed from the mount.

P5010002-X2.jpg

P5010011-X2.jpg

Now a little back story on my install: I originally planned on using a Blue Sea 4.8A round charger that I already had on hand, Just like the ones I installed in the camper. I figured I would file some notches in the TPAM mount to allow use of the round charger in the factory square cutout, I would then fabricate a cover plate to cover any gaps on the sides of the charger. Filing the notches and installing the round charger went to plan but I failed to notice the charger was to long and would hit the dash when trying to install the unit back onto the truck......Time for Plan B. I ordered a square Blue Sea 1039 charger which is a direct replacement (should have just started with this unit) and fabricated a small aluminum cover plate to cover up the half round notches I had previously filed into the TPAM, if I hadn't done that it would have been a 5 minute plug and play job! Oh Well...what I get for not thinking things all the way through :)

The notches I cut in for the round charger.

IMG_0021-X2.jpg

Here's the square Blue Sea charger next to the original unit.

IMG_0015-X2.jpg

IMG_0017-X2.jpg

Time to fabricate a cover plate to hide the half round notches I filed into the TPAM mount. A small chunk of aluminum will do nicely.

IMG_0019-X2.jpg

IMG_0024-X2.jpg

And painted a matching textured black.

P5031810-X2.jpg

New charger installed in the TPAM mount. I need to trim the rubber gasket on the back of the charger a bit so it doesn't stick out past my cover plate.

IMG_0025-X2.jpg

IMG_0025-X2.jpg

IMG_0032-X2.jpg

This charger is also slightly longer than the original unit, to give a little extra clearance between the electrical connections and the dash I bent the tabs upward on the back of the charger.

IMG_0028-X2.jpg

And all mounted back up. My Montana is now happily charging :). Overall a quick and easy upgrade (If you don't try and make it fit a round charger lol).

IMG_0046-X2.jpg

Hodakaguy

I absolutely love my TPAM mount but it came with a cheap low power USB charger that won't charge my Garmin Montana and charges my phone very slowly. This is really my only complaint with the TPAM...time to fix it. I'll swap the original unit out with a Blue Sea 4.8A unit (2.4A per channel) that will be better suited to charge the Montana, Tablets etc. NOTE: Jeff from ExpeditionEssentials saw my post and may start offering the Blue Sea chargers with the TPAM when you order....Nice!

First removed the TPAM from the truck. Here you can see the low power charger I'll be replacing. It's quickly removed from the mount.

P5010002-X2.jpg

P5010011-X2.jpg

Now a little back story on my install: I originally planned on using a Blue Sea 4.8A round charger that I already had on hand, Just like the ones I installed in the camper. I figured I would file some notches in the TPAM mount to allow use of the round charger in the factory square cutout, I would then fabricate a cover plate to cover any gaps on the sides of the charger. Filing the notches and installing the round charger went to plan but I failed to notice the charger was to long and would hit the dash when trying to install the unit back onto the truck......Time for Plan B. I ordered a square Blue Sea 1039 charger which is a direct replacement (should have just started with this unit) and fabricated a small aluminum cover plate to cover up the half round notches I had previously filed into the TPAM, if I hadn't done that it would have been a 5 minute plug and play job! Oh Well...what I get for not thinking things all the way through :)

IMG_0021-X2.jpg

Here's the square Blue Sea charger next to the original unit.

IMG_0015-X2.jpg

IMG_0017-X2.jpg

Time to fabricate a cover plate to hide the half round notches I filed into the TPAM mount. A small chunk of aluminum will do nicely.

IMG_0019-X2.jpg

IMG_0024-X2.jpg

And painted a matching textured black.

P5031810-X2.jpg

New charger installed in the TPAM mount. I need to trim the rubber gasket on the back of the charger a bit so it doesn't stick out past my cover plate.

IMG_0025-X2.jpg

IMG_0025-X2.jpg

IMG_0032-X2.jpg

This charger is also slightly longer than the original unit, to give a little extra clearance between the electrical connections and the dash I bent the tabs upward on the back of the charger.

IMG_0028-X2.jpg

And all mounted back up. My Montana is now happily charging :). Overall a quick and easy upgrade (If you don't try and make it fit a round charger lol).

IMG_0046-X2.jpg

Hodakaguy
Thanks for the share Tom: fyi, our first shipment of Blue Sea rapid chargers should be in this week ?

Gonna replace mine. You used a cover plate which pushed charger out a tad and still had to bend tabs up. Will it fit with no cover plate and pushed all the way in? I assume so since Expedition Essentials now offers it as an option

Gonna replace mine. You used a cover plate which pushed charger out a tad and still had to bend tabs up. Will it fit with no cover plate and pushed all the way in? I assume so since Expedition Essentials now offers it as an option

Yes it will! Just have to bend the tabs up and it slides in place.

Necessary upgrade for sure. I bought my blue seas quick charger from Jeff at NWOR and it was a breeze to remove the old and install the new charger. Use a flathead screwdriver and “tap” out the old one then simply insert the new one. Don’t forget to Bend the connections up 45 degrees for clearance as described above.

P5010002-X2.jpg

P5010011-X2.jpg

This is a great detailed post. Thank you.

Back