• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Performance Toyota Intake FLOW ACCELERATOR (PTR03-35160-AE)

Just for thought,
If the initial area of the intake is lets say 4" and the throttle body is 4" you have a 4" maximum allowable flow passage.
The filter box and filter are larger to make up for the restriction caused by the filtering process (12 x 12 area with filter restriction equals 4" free flow).

Some aftermarket intakes have a open box which allows engine intake noise to escape which people seem to like to hear.
The stock intake tube has a reservoir/resonator on it to keep the intake noise low from design,...
So does the TRD model intake with a bit different design and placement of the "noise box".

The stock diverter they remove actually assist air as it scoops the air when the vehicle is moving,.... much like a ram air intake.
1689509598380.png

The TRD "Flow Accelerator" is the same diameter but pulls the air without any assistance.
Think of swimming with your hand in a sideways facing flat position or your hand in a forward facing scoped position.

The scooped hand grabs more water and surface area and works better.
As forced air into a tube moves faster than pulled air alone.
Just simple physics IMO.

The true test would be speed or horsepower gain/ loss.
By all accounts these systems do not increse either on record.
But the louder sound of the engine or the mind thinking the money spent make me go faster can be compared to a sticker that also gives 5 HP.

As far as the "Cold Air" claimes,..... stock or aftermarket designs still pull the same outside air which is the same temperature.
If the airbox is "open" it is now pulling in engine compartment air which is even warmer.

If you say that the tube and box are bigger and provide more air,.... this does not change the initial or throttle body opening size.
A 4" water valve connected to a 12" pipe that connects to a 4" nozzle STILL delivers what the smallest restriction allows.
Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Flow accelerator just makes you think you get a seal and pull cooler air from the fender well.

Where as the stock cup is targeting the same spot, but doesn't have a seal.

Don't know if it actually improves anything. But makes sense to where it sounds like it does.

But it doesn't replace a CAI.

Is the TRD filter the same size as the stock paper filter?
One thing some have had issues with is proper cleaning of the oiled TRD filter.
Some don't clean it enough or put too much oil on it which can cause issues with the MAP sensor and computer readings.

If the TRD intake makes a better sound than the stock box but can run a dry stock filter it may open up some buyers.
The oiled filter may flow more than a stock one but tests show its not much more,
Anyone have a TRD box and can verify if the stock filter will fit and give the same "sound".

It would be interesting to know as you could get the nice sound (at high RPM) and the box does bring a bit of eye candy (when the hoods open)
But no cleaning of the filter and have the simple throw away the old and install the new in 5 seconds.

Is the TRD filter the same size as the stock paper filter?
One thing some have had issues with is proper cleaning of the oiled TRD filter.
Some don't clean it enough or put too much oil on it which can cause issues with the MAP sensor and computer readings.

If the TRD intake makes a better sound than the stock box but can run a dry stock filter it may open up some buyers.
The oiled filter may flow more than a stock one but tests show its not much more,
Anyone have a TRD box and can verify if the stock filter will fit and give the same "sound".

It would be interesting to know as you could get the nice sound (at high RPM) and the box does bring a bit of eye candy (when the hoods open)
But no cleaning of the filter and have the simple throw away the old and install the new in 5 seconds.
Yes, it fits. The TRD intake keeps the same lower half of the box - it just replaces the lid, intake tube, filter and accelerator. Should give some sound from having a smaller baffle on the intake tube, but I doubt any sound would change from the different inlet.

The internet makes you hate oiled filters, but I've been running them for years across multiple platforms and have never had a problem due to one, and my MAF sensor and TB seems to stay cleaner with them vs dryflows. YMMV.

Yes, it fits. The TRD intake keeps the same lower half of the box - it just replaces the lid, intake tube, filter and accelerator. Should give some sound from having a smaller baffle on the intake tube, but I doubt any sound would change from the different inlet.

The internet makes you hate oiled filters, but I've been running them for years across multiple platforms and have never had a problem due to one, and my MAF sensor and TB seems to stay cleaner with them vs dryflows. YMMV.
Does the lid of the TRD system have the charcoal upper section?
Just wondering if the TRD lid will seat on the filter as stock design,..... and why do we have a upper filter we do not have a maintenance schedule for?

TW pic
1689723944165.png

Does the lid of the TRD system have the charcoal upper section?
Just wondering if the TRD lid will seat on the filter as stock design,..... and why do we have a upper filter we do not have a maintenance schedule for?

TW pic
1689723944165.png
Upper filter is to prevent some kind of fumes escaping from the engine. I removed it when I put in my k&n but you can drop in pretty much any filter for the truck and it will fit fine, that extra filter on there won't make a difference. The trd intake lid does not have that.

Well I picked up the box from my Toyota dealer today (ordered it yesterday)
It was as expected BUT the filter was pre-oiled with red oil out of the box wrapped in plastic from the Manufacture,...
K&N as the parts guy explained is their approved in-house cleaning method of the TRD Filters.
So it comes shiped that way........
1689886141328.png

Here is the assembled TRD next to the stock assembly,.... notice they both have the carbon pre-filter built in the box lid.
1689886268159.png

20 minutes later its installed.
1689886041399.png

No issues with the install or operation of the vehicle,..... all is well.
Filter was oiled just right, did not smell or feel of excess oil so I installed it rather than the stock paper filter.
Truck runs as normal and has a growl at the top end above 3000 rpm and increases really well at 4000 rpm.
It looks good & sounds good & runs good ..................... so all is good.

I asked about the MAF sensor cost,................ (just in case) and its $240,....
Parts guy said dont worry it wont mess with the sensor, just dont over oil it when you clean it.

The factory installs this "scoop" facing towards the passenger mirror to avoid water,...... not forward to grab air.
1689889016239.png

Attachments

• 1689886109052.png
    1689886109052.png
    364.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Wonder if they changed the intake at some point. I swear I've seen on the other forum that it was completely open up top without the additional filter.

Wonder if they changed the intake at some point. I swear I've seen on the other forum that it was completely open up top without the additional filter.
The upper filter is really not restrictive as it a large area compared to the 4" opening.
I like the idea of it as it would catch excess oil from the TRD filter (in case of over oiling) or dust that may get by the box filter.

People probably ripped it out for MAXIMUM BENEFIT!

WIDE OPEN THROTTLE! HARDCORE WOT! WOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!

The sound coming on at 3000 rpm and up works well with the manual transmission.
The resonator is about half the size of the stock box.

I can see why the tubes sold with a filter without the box are so loud.
To each there own

Back