Towing with a 3G Tacoma. | 3rd Generation Toyota Tacomas — Tacoma3G.com

Towing with a 3G Tacoma.

Joe H.

T3G Level: Bronze
First Name
Joe
T3G #
My local Toyota dealer tells me a ‘19 Tacoma TRD Sport with 3.5 V6 can safely tow my car trailer . Loaded approx. 5800 lbs. Anyone on this forum ever do so with a 3G ? Thoughts ? Thanks for any input.

Reactions: Ron

Ron

T3G Level: Platinum
T3G Supporter
T3G O.G.
First Name
Ron
Military Service
Coast Guard (Vet.)
T3G #
5800lbs is getting close to the top end. There are a few things to consider here.

1. Have you considered a load leveling system? I recommend the Straightline 10,000 system. You will need something or you are going to squat. Badly. Make sure a trailering/camper dealer that you use sets the system up for you (unless of course you have done it before)
2. You have a electronic brake system? This is a must have for that weight.
3. Follow the manual's recommendation of towing in 4th gear ONLY, and ECT ON. Your truck is going to stay in high RPMs, this is NOT a bad thing. That is where this motor makes the HP/TQ.

Take a read of this post by me:

https://tacoma3g.com/threads/coastierons-silver-build-bs.69/page-4#post-2266

a little bit less than what you are thinking, but close.

jhipwundah

First Name
Joe
T3G #
I tow a 19' whaler / dual axle trailer with electric brakes (combined weight close to 3,300 lbs - ice, gear and dead fish excluded) and you can definitely tell there's something behind the truck. On flat roads, she tows fine but on the inclines is where I feel it struggle a bit. I'm not improving my situation either by recently adding 34" tires. With that said, I'm looking to regear (4.88 or 5.29) in the near future and possibly a big brake kit.

Attachments

Remmen Brakes

remmenbrakes.com
T3G Vendor (Onyx)
T3G #
To add to some of the suggestions above.

Tongue weight is an important factor too, usually it's 10% of the trailer weight, but ideally you should have a scale, the heavier the tongue weight is, the more likely it is to cause a sag, which can be dangerous when braking, if your tongue weight is high due to load being at the front of the trailer, you can always get weight distribution hitch.

Another thing we can add is, once you got all that sorted, go for a short drive on quiet roads to get used to the weight.

Happy towing!

jhipwundah

First Name
Joe
T3G #
To add to some of the suggestions above.

Tongue weight is an important factor too, usually it's 10% of the trailer weight, but ideally you should have a scale, the heavier the tongue weight is, the more likely it is to cause a sag, which can be dangerous when braking, if your tongue weight is high due to load being at the front of the trailer, you can always get weight distribution hitch.

Another thing we can add is, once you got all that sorted, go for a short drive on quiet roads to get used to the weight.

Happy towing!
What brake kits do you offer for our 3rd gen trucks (2018)? I tried a search on your site but none applied?

Victory4x4

victory4x4.com
T3G Vendor (Onyx)
First Name
Daryl
T3G #
Aloha, you mentioned 4.88 gears in your video... Since you’ve installed them, have they helped out quite a bit especially with towing?
Yes, they helped a ton. I also recently tuned my truck with OVtune so I'm excited to see how that effects towing.

Lord Humongous

T3G Level: Platinum
T3G Supporter
First Name
James
T3G #
20190325_194918.jpg
20190325_174907.jpg
Camped near zion today. The truck does well (255 85r16, Ride rite airbags daystar cradles, 4.88s and big trans cooler). Were based out of Phoenix and love the trailer for stuff close to home base. Weve towed it up to the PNW and Montana a few times and it can be a bit tedious. Ive definitely fantasized about 6.7 cummins on those trips but still prefer having the awesome smaller 4x4 Taco once we arrive. Its a Jayco 195rb with timbren suspension around 4k loaded. Definitely selling it in the next couple years and getting a smaller expo style trailer or 4x4 van.

JamesR913

T3G Level: Silver
First Name
James
Military Service
Navy (Vet.)
T3G #
Would a stock 19 offroad be able to pull this?

jhipwundah

First Name
Joe
T3G #
Short answer is Yes, it can. But it’s cutting it close. Depending on how often, how far and if there’s any inclines, I’d consider regearing.