• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tool Bag Thread

lost.jake

4️⃣ Gold
Tacoma3G Supporter
Tacoma3G O.G.
Reaction score
2019 Pro DCSB Auto
White
I have been working on putting together a tool bag to keep in my truck. I wanted to start a thread to see what everyone carries on the trail as far as tools go, i.e. sizes of everything, odd and end tools, specialty tools etc.. My tool box in my garage has everything you could need for working on a vehicle and remodeling a house but of course I like to run light weight while on the trail with just the basics.

Last edited:
I have been working on putting together a tool bag to keep in my truck. I wanted to start a thread to se what all everyone carries on the trail as far as tools go, i.e. sizes of everything, odd and end tools, specialty tools etc.. My tool box in my garage has everything you could need for working on a vehicle and remodeling a house but of course I like to run light weight while on the trail with just the basics.
Breaker bar and socket for lug nuts easier then the factory wrench, if it's just a trail bag even a 1/2 cordless makes a difference
Sockets
8mm
10mm
12mm
14mm
15mm
17mm
18mm
19mm
21mm

Corresponding wrenches to sockets

CV puller and a socket for the wheel nut (incase you blow a CV shaft and decide to carry a spare)
Ball joint tool (incase you need to replace a ball /uni )
Spare u joint and tools for it
Tire repair kit
#2 +#3 Philip's
Pry bar
Needle nose pliers
Channel lock pliers
Zap straps
Duck tape
Flashlight of some kind
Exacto knife
Electrical tape
Fuse
Bit of spare wire

That's all I can think of on the fly

Just off the top of my head...

Tool Kit:
End wrenches in standard and metric
Hex/torx multitools
3/8 sockets in standard and metric
An assortment of larger 1/2 drive sockets
Front hub socket (35mm is what it uses, but I carry 36mm 6 point because it works on the Yota AND Jeeps)
Diff drain plug (24mm 6 point, 15/16 works in a pinch)
A Gorilla wrench (and included lug sockets) to use as a breaker bar
A cheap cordless impact/charger
A multimeter
Zip ties
Gorilla tape
Electrical tape
2lb sledge hammer
Screwdrivers
Locking pliers
Side cutters
Pry bar
Chisel
Varies electrical connectors
Spare wire
Tire kit
Some brake line fittings (mostly a way to plug a hard line if it splits, or cap the hardline if a hose tears.)
A bag of various spare hardware

Depending on the trip I will add spare fluid for everything in a separate bag and before I installed RCVs I would often carry a spare CV shaft.

Inside the truck I ALWAYS have:
Fire extinguisher
First Aid kit
Jump box
Flash light

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! We have similar tool bag set ups, I just wanted the thread to be around for others to use as well. I also keep my DeWalt impact, DeWalt spot light, and grease gun in my tool box. Only thing I need to get is some OEM assorted bolts and some spare parts to keep around.

I keep this cheapo kit in the back seat, there’s always coupons for $29.99. I don’t really off-road but then my assortment of EDC stuff like pocket knife, multi tool, and flashlight. Also ratchet straps, tarp, rope/ paracord. And most importantly AAA. Maybe long term I’ll buy a mounted air compressor but for right now if I plan On needing one I’ve got a 3 gallon pancake compressor that I can Always toss in the bed. I think This is a great thread to make but like you said all the main tools are at home which won’t really help me if I’m stranded

Attachments

• 1A23A8C0-4C03-4A93-A25C-C225ECF4DC69.png
    1A23A8C0-4C03-4A93-A25C-C225ECF4DC69.png
    906.2 KB · Views: 232
Breaker bar and socket for lug nuts easier then the factory wrench, if it's just a trail bag even a 1/2 cordless makes a difference
Sockets
8mm
10mm
12mm
14mm
15mm
17mm
18mm
19mm
21mm

Corresponding wrenches to sockets

CV puller and a socket for the wheel nut (incase you blow a CV shaft and decide to carry a spare)
Ball joint tool (incase you need to replace a ball /uni )
Spare u joint and tools for it
Tire repair kit
#2 +#3 Philip's
Pry bar
Needle nose pliers
Channel lock pliers
Zap straps
Duck tape
Flashlight of some kind
Exacto knife
Electrical tape
Fuse
Bit of spare wire

That's all I can think of on the fly
Damn I need to roll with you on the trail! Your fully ready to do some serious repairs with the CV and Balljoint situation. Have you ran into issues with those in the past?

Damn I need to roll with you on the trail! Your fully ready to do some serious repairs with the CV and Balljoint situation. Have you ran into issues with those in the past?
Always be rdy ? worst ive had happen to be was blown U-joint.

But having a tool kit in your car should be considered in tiers and go accordingly with where and what you doing and for how long , I mean if you going to a local play for a half day trip to full day trip and you know the place like the back of your hand then wouldn't need to pack as much

Back