• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Too much Positive Camber ( Visually) after 3'' lift

Rick

2️⃣ Bronze
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
Im new here and I hope im not duplicating a thread....I looked around and didnt find anything on camber issues. So, 3" lift looks great , drives great so far but the positive camber is obvious. i havent purchased my new tires and im not until I get this sorted out. It looks like tires wont stand a chance with this much camber. Ive heard new UCA's wont fix it and that its a notorious thing on 3rd gen Tacomas. If you have had this problem could you please ease my mind, haha

Its storming here.....I can get some pics ASAP . Toytec / bilstien 3'' no adjustment. Im hoping they just cared more about caster than camber and it can be fixed. I will go get a pic right now

Upvote 0
Do you have any photos? What kind of lift?
I messed up my response to you. New to this , sorry. 3" Toytec / bilstien w/no preload or any of that stuff. Its storming but i ran down and took this pic. Positive camber like crazy......scared to put tires on it like this. Im seriously thinking of taking this lift out and just going with a 2'' lift like OME...Unless this is okay and can be fixed
MVIMG_20191019_110752.jpg

Upvote 0
I would suggest getting an alignment done. Lifting the truck would cause that camber to happen, and would definitely need to be adjusted. A 3" lift is probably the most common one out there, and alignment is always recommended.

1571509154503.png

Upvote 0
I would suggest getting an alignment done. Lifting the truck would cause that camber to happen, and would definitely need to be adjusted. A 3" lift is probably the most common one out there, and alignment is always recommended.

1571509154503.png
The shop supposedly aligned it after but heck.....who knows. According to my receipt they did anyway. Im gonna take it to another alignment shop and see if the can get some of that camber out of it. If not, im taking this lift off of the truck and just doing a 2'' OME lift. Something tried and true ya know?? Thanks for listening and the help.

Upvote 0
That looks ridiculous and is definitely not good. If they won't fix it, I would take it to an alignment place and have them give you before and after alignment numbers. Guaranteed it's off by a lot in the positive camber. If they can correct it back to spec I would then take the cost you paid to the place that installed and said they aligned it and have them reimburse you for the other alignment and refund you for the cost of their alignment.

That probably makes zero sense grammatically ???

Upvote 0
I’m having the same issue with my truck (2018 Trd Sport, 3” Low range off road cool spring spacer lift, self-installed last week) and I thought about taking it back. Upon further inspection there is less than an inch of space between the stock UCAs and the stock tires on stock wheels. I haven’t had time to look and see if the chamber can be adjusted anymore yet but my thought is that if I go anymore negative on the camber without a wheel spacer the tires will definitely rub the UCAs. I was planning on using hub centric spacers (either 1.25” or 1.5”, I’ve purchased both) to get the space necessary to be able to adjust the camber enough. That seems to me like it’s gonna be the easiest solution unless you’ve found out something different.

Upvote 0
You guys really should look into UCA's if you both don't have them. If your going to be lifted that high, the factory UCA's just aren't going to cut it. Aftermarket UCA's have the geometry built into them to accommodate the lift and larger tires.

Upvote 0
I appreciate the advise but right now it’s just not in the budget. Probably in the next 6 months. But, I went to the alignment shop I went and another that specializes in lowering and lift kits. The truck is showing around 1 degree of positive camber on the passenger and drivers side. The adjustment cams are pretty much all the way out. The guy at the lift shop said this is the best they could get, but also that with 1 degree of positive camber the alignment is within spec. Not ideal obviously, but what he also said was that bigger tires could actually help get it closer to 0 degrees.

Upvote 0
Just remember if you put off fixing the issue, you're also going to need new tires in less than 6 months.

Upvote 0
You really only need the uppers. Since you have raised your truck 3", you've raised it well beyond what the factory UCA's are designed for. The stock UCA's are really only good up to about 2" lift, beyond that and they are pretty much maxed out in numerous ways.

I would recommend either dropping the lift down to a reasonable 2", or getting new UCA's to help try and get the truck back into spec.

Upvote 0
I messed up my response to you. New to this , sorry. 3" Toytec / bilstien w/no preload or any of that stuff. Its storming but i ran down and took this pic. Positive camber like crazy......scared to put tires on it like this. Im seriously thinking of taking this lift out and just going with a 2'' lift like OME...Unless this is okay and can be fixed
MVIMG_20191019_110752.jpg
This isn’t normal at all. If a good alignment shop says this can’t be aligned, aftermarket UCAs and then an alignment should work. Like Andy said, the stock UCAs aren’t meant for lift like this, and are probably causing it.

But you did hear wrong: This isn’t normal for these trucks and upgrading your UCAs is relevant to this.

Upvote 0
You guys really should look into UCA's if you both don't have them. If your going to be lifted that high, the factory UCA's just aren't going to cut it. Aftermarket UCA's have the geometry built into them to accommodate the lift and larger tires.
This ^

Upvote 0
Just the uppers.
You might also have the alignment shop push your lower control cams all the way out to help the camber for now.
Gotcha. We’ve got a local lift shop that does some pretty off the wall stuff. I called them and they said they’ve been able to get it much closer to aligned with stock UCAs but that if I want it done right I’ll need UCAs. I’ve got an appointment with them in a couple weeks. Gonna replace the UCAs and all stock suspension when the truck hits 100k. Right now it’s just not in my budget.

Upvote 0
Imma little late but I was curious i’ve had a positive camber twice in the last 2 months and the first time i’m pretty sure I hit a pothole and it messed up my cam bolt bad on a 2in level and i don’t wanna have to spend $200 a month. Would it be worth it to take out level and upgrade suspension with shocks UCA in front and in rear shocks. would that help or not?

Upvote 0
Back