• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

To tune or not to tune

Firearmjunky22

1️⃣ Getting Started...
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2019 Tacoma trdor. I had planned on tuning it prior to purchasing but after driving it I’m unsure. It’s not terrible, does shift a bit but I don’t think it’s a ton worse than other vehicles I’ve had in the past. Now I also don’t know if it has already been tuned. I contacted vftuner and they have no record of the vin so it’s likely it’s not. Assuming it’s not tuned, Is it that much of a difference? What issues does the truck have stock that the tune will remedy? What do people notice the most? My truck has 285/75/16’s on it so I would assume that mine would feel worse than a stock truck.

So it really depends! If you're happy with it, why change it? But: When you decide to go even bigger tires or add weight to the truck, the throttle response and power may feel more hindered.

I added skinny 33's to my truck and noted a difference in the way it drove and factored in that I tow a trailer often so opted for a tune from KDMax. Very very happy I did as it definitely gave the truck more power and way better throttle response. It also helped regain a bit of MPG's, moving it closer to the same as stock with the larger tires.

I recently purchased a 2019 Tacoma trdor. I had planned on tuning it prior to purchasing but after driving it I’m unsure. It’s not terrible, does shift a bit but I don’t think it’s a ton worse than other vehicles I’ve had in the past. Now I also don’t know if it has already been tuned. I contacted vftuner and they have no record of the vin so it’s likely it’s not. Assuming it’s not tuned, Is it that much of a difference? What issues does the truck have stock that the tune will remedy? What do people notice the most? My truck has 285/75/16’s on it so I would assume that mine would feel worse than a stock truck.
I think a tune is great regardless if you’re stock or modded. I waited until we modded. My truck is tuned for 33’s and a 5.29 regear w/ an AGM modification to assist in battery charging using VF Tuner. I immediately noticed the difference in shifting points and fuel MPG. As an added bonus, my tuner guy turned the ETC button into a “Fun” button. It has a quicker throttle response at the cost of fuel savings when activated. I just recently added a Stealth Shift Knob from Meso Custom which moved the ECT button to the side of the new shift knob. You know, things Toyota should’ve considered!

I got the OTT tune on my rig. It's a manual so there was no shifting issue. The change if very subtle and only noticeable at higher RPMs. I havn't noticed a improvement in MPGs. All in all I wouldn't recommend it for someone with a manual transmission unless they price is less than $200.
That said, everyone I personally know who has the tune on an automatic LOVES it. And not just a little bit, they love it a LOT. One of those guys is a very smart engineer. It was his endorsement that convinced me. But yeah, it doesn't help the manual too much unless you drive too fast and pass a lot of people on the road...which I do.

YotaWerx Tuning can absolutely get you set up and running right, but ultimately it will come down to what suits your individual needs and what will fit your truck best in terms of driving style and mods. Not all tunes are created equal.

Regardless of your decision, do your research. The loudest shouted brand out there does not equal the best.

I have a 2023 SR5 that I put 235x85x16 tires on. Over the weekend I took a 100+ miles trip on mostly interstate highway. On the hilly side I'll add. With the cruise control set at 79 the truck ran mostly 4th and 5th gear, only shifting into 6th going down hill. The MPG read-out stayed around 10-12 most of the trip. So I have a tune scheduled for 4:30 and I sure hope it makes as big of a difference as everyone says because the current situation is unacceptable.

Edit:
Just got back from getting a KDMax tune. Different truck. All is right with the world.

Last edited:
Back