• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tire Sizes That Work with Stock Mud Flaps - 255/75R17?

BLtheP

3️⃣ Silver
Reaction score
2021 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Magnetic Gray
So, I bought my 2021 back in May, and it came with the gray TRD Sema rims (17x7” +4MM offset). They either happened by the PO or the selling dealer. I like these rims (especially since they’re 17”) but what I don’t like is the lesser offset makes it to where when running a 265/70R17 (30.6”) tire, on turns at speed or on minor bumps, they will scuff the mud flaps. It’s no big deal but it bothers me.

For this reason, I have set up a trade for some 2020+ Sport rims, happening later this month. The Sports are 17x7.5” with +30 MM of offset. They are known to not rub on a 265/70R17, even with mud flaps. What I don’t like are the tire options on 265/70, I’d prefer an LT load C, vs the SL or LT E that are available in that size. There are a few C-rated 265/70s, but I don’t want the ones that are available.

255/75R17 has a few tires in Load C that I’m interested in. 255/75 is right at 32”, and obviously a little narrower than the 265s I’ve been talking about. Has anybody run these on a Sport rim with mud flaps and stock suspension and can confirm they will never contact the flaps?

I can always just have Discount install them and return them if it doesn’t work out, but I have a good relationship with the guy’s Discount I go to, so I don’t want to waste his time with experimentation if possible. Hoping someone here has run 255/75 on sport rims before and can confirm they will work. I’d think if 265/70s clear, then the slightly taller but skinnier 255/75s would also, but no way to know until someone confirms it.

Thanks!

Pic of my truck on 265/65R17 and the Semas just because.

26730DEC-BACC-485B-B8D2-0A6EA70F848E.jpeg

Run no mud flaps, looks so much better. I'll only put flaps on during the snowy season but I live in CT so I don't really see as much snow as I'd like...

Run no mud flaps, looks so much better. I'll only put flaps on during the snowy season but I live in CT so I don't really see as much snow as I'd like...
Nope, I work on job sites and constantly get crap (mud, rocks, etc) lodged in my tires. As soon as I’m leaving it’s flinging all that crap into the flaps and a bit of it goes into the doors. If I had no flaps all of it would go into the doors and lower body panels and I don’t want to subject my paint to that. So the flaps will stay.

I think I’m just going to stay on the 30.5” 265/65R17s. I keep asking myself why I want to go bigger and honestly there is no reason.

Understandable I guess. After I go thru any mud I'll fling mud around but not even for a long time. Also depends on the tires you have. I run BFG's all terrains and they'll fling mud for not even 1/4 of a mile. I'm not sure how big you can go, Ik we run stock 30's, I think (hence think so don't quote me on this) you can go up to 32's without rubbing, so you should clear the flaps... Either 32's or 31's I cannot remember..

Also, make sure you clean everywhere then too. Mud gets into places you never think it would... Somehow gets up behind the plastic in the wheel wells and behind the fender flares so every once and a while take those off and clean them too cause you'll rot, buddy of mine found that out the hard way

I hate when folks don't follow up on threads, so here I am following up on my thread. I did trade for the 2020+ Sport rims, which are 17x7.5" +30mm. I ran the 265/65R17 Toyo ATIIIs on them for 6 months, worked great.

A few weeks ago I upsized to LT255/75R17 C Toyo ATIIIs on the same rims. Still have factory mud flaps. There is no rub at all, ever. Very happy with my setup. These are on the larger side as well, 648 revs per mile. Most 255/75R17s are more like 650-655 revs per mile. Overall I really like these tires and they complement the stock height and the 5.29s really well. I have absolutely no plans to mess with the suspension at all. Very happy with how the truck drives as-is.

IMG_9869.jpeg

99D68C94-B914-4183-A70F-A04B2B7F401B.jpg

I hate when folks don't follow up on threads, so here I am following up on my thread. I did trade for the 2020+ Sport rims, which are 17x7.5" +30mm. I ran the 265/65R17 Toyo ATIIIs on them for 6 months, worked great.

A few weeks ago I upsized to LT255/75R17 C Toyo ATIIIs on the same rims. Still have factory mud flaps. There is no rub at all, ever. Very happy with my setup. These are on the larger side as well, 648 revs per mile. Most 255/75R17s are more like 650-655 revs per mile. Overall I really like these tires and they complement the stock height and the 5.29s really well. I have absolutely no plans to mess with the suspension at all. Very happy with how the truck drives as-is.

IMG_9869.jpeg

99D68C94-B914-4183-A70F-A04B2B7F401B.jpg
Thanks for the update,
I am staying in the stock TRD Sport suspension, and the stock Sport wheels (they do look good) as well when I get the 265/70/17 AT III's on
Just waiting for the stock TOYO sneakers to wear out. It rides well with the TOYO A3 "street threads."
I expect a bit more noise with the AT III's but from all reviews they wear well on and off the road.
How is the noise and ride with yours?

Thanks for the update,
I am staying in the stock TRD Sport suspension, and the stock Sport wheels (they do look good) as well when I get the 265/70/17 AT III's on
Just waiting for the stock TOYO sneakers to wear out. It rides well with the TOYO A3 "street threads."
I expect a bit more noise with the AT III's but from all reviews they wear well on and off the road.
How is the noise and ride with yours?
Sorry, I don’t get on here a lot. I think your plan is good. For my use I definitely think stock height is best. No fiddling with driveline angles, no added hassle of having to step higher to get in, just overall a more practical plan for the daily driver in my eyes. I agree that the Sport wheels look great, I’m not sure why so many hate them. They really look a lot better with a cool looking tire on them, too.

I have seen others complain of ATIII noise but that has not been a complaint of mine. I can not come up with any scenarios where these seem unreasonably loud or really any louder than any of the other ATs I’ve had on various vehicles: Duratracs, KO2, Falken Wildpeak, General Grabber A/Tx. The XL/SL of ATIII I will say have better traction than the LT versions. This makes sense because there is a lot more tread siping. With 5.29 gearing and a direct drive manual transmission, it is quite easy to peel out these bad boys in the rain. I wish I had a limited slip rear diff (a real one, not the brake actuated stuff). But anywho.

Tread wear was decent on my XLs. I measured them around 8/32 at about 10K miles and they stayed there until they hit 21K miles. I think the initial drop from 13/32 goes pretty quick but then it tapers off and they wear mostly like iron from that point. Sadly I didn’t drive them down to being bald so I can’t say for sure. The LTs I have now are still between 13/32 and 16/32, my tire tread depth gauge only goes to 13/32 so I can’t measure any wear yet. As I understand it, the sipes on LTs start to disappear at about 7-8/32, so that is probably when I will ditch these. We’ll see how long it takes to get there, I expect around 50K but time will tell.

Overall happy with my setup. I do wish my mpg was a bit better, for my use case I’d probably be better served with Michelin Defenders and I may go for them next time, but they just don’t have the looks.

Installed the XL 265-65-17 Toyo3's
Great road tire in control and minimal noise,.... off road this XL AT3 on a light Tacoma is ,............. Yeah, it works and works well.
I live in Florida so sand is everywhere with logs, stick-ups and Limerock cuts.

I can very confidently say this XL AT3 is made very well.

1693172677910.png

My Tacoma came with the MT6 (manual six speed) and 4:30 gears from the Toyota factory.

Last edited:
Installed the XL 265-65-17 Toyo3's
Great road tire in control and minimal noise,.... off road this XL AT3 on a light Tacoma is ,............. Yeah, it works and works well.
I live in Florida so sand is everywhere with logs, stick-ups and Limerock cuts.

I can very confidently say this XL AT3 is made very well.

1693172677910.png

My Tacoma came with the MT6 (manual six speed) and 4:30 gears from the Toyota factory.
Good stuff. That’s the exact tire I ran for 21k-ish miles; 265/65R17 XL. If I didn’t have 5.29 gears I’d probably want them again, but the revs are a bit much with a manual and those gears and tires.

I’m thinking about going with 265/70R17 SL next time instead of the 255/75R17 LT-C’s I have now. Mainly for weight and ride quality, and wet traction. I thought having C’s would be cool but it’s not all that practical for me. Still like them though. We’ll see, I have a long time until I’m there.

Back