• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tire Fits

TrojanMan60

4️⃣ Gold
Reaction score
2016 SR5 DCSB Auto
White
I'm looking to get new wheels and put on 35" tires. Any suggestions on which brands to use for lift kits, wheels or tires? Also, how can I find out how much lift I will need and if my new wheel/tire combo will fit?

What is your budget for this? How sure are you that you want to commit to the 35" life? A lot more comes with it compared to a 285/75, both good and bad. What will you be using your truck for mostly?

I have about 8k set aside for my first "phase" of additions. Was planning on wheels/tires/lift to be the bulk of it (around 4-5k).
I am ready to commit, however, there's only so much information you can get from google. What should I be ready for when upping in size?
It's my daily driver, but I'm hoping to be in the mountains or down in the red rock every/every other weekend.

Last edited:
I have about 8k set aside for my first "phase" of additions. Was planning on wheels/tires/lift to be the bulk of it. I am ready to commit, however, there's only so much information you can get from google. It's my daily driver, but I'm hoping to be in the mountains or down in the red rock every/every other weekend.
That is a decent budget for this. Starting with a lift and tires makes sense, but you shouldn't overlook the usefulness of rock sliders if you think you're going to be wheeling your truck harder than regular dirt roads, which you probably will. I damaged my rocker panels before I had sliders.

As far as lifts, your budget is pretty solid. You should be able to get a mid to upper level kit from Icon or King - two of which I'd highly recommend. It would almost come down to cost comparisons and maybe even your personal preference on the color schemes of each option, as they're both otherwise very solid and comparable systems. A 3" lift should allow you to run 35s if that is what you want, however the lift alone is not sufficient to run them without rubbing. You will need aftermarket UCAs, a cab mount chop, more cutting in your fender area, and wheel spacers or aftermarket wheels with enough offset to compensate for rubbing. You don't HAVE to, but with 35s you'd also want to consider regearing the truck.

Tires, I'm partial to BFG because my dad and I have used them our whole lives and they never let us down. I have the newer KM3 in 35s and I'd get them again when these die. There are however a lot of reliable competing tires and this would also come down to cost comparison and personal preference on style/looks.

Wheels I think are almost entirely personal preference based on looks. Staying at 16" or going up to 17" is great for off-roading. You might like the look of larger wheels but I personally do not and you would lose a decent amount of sidewall on your tires if you go that big.

As for sliders like I mentioned, we have many vendors on the forum that fabricate them and might be able to offer a discount code to you. Again, these will mostly come down to preference on style and size because they will all be strong enough to handle whatever you throw at them.

I suggest browsing the Tacoma3G Instagram to get some ideas on what you like the look of for all of these modifications. Then, start going on the manufacturer websites and get an idea on potential prices. When you feel a little more dialed in on what you might want, post back here with some links and we can give you additional feedback from there.

Thank you so much for all of the information! I can't wait to start researching.

Being new, I get nervous thinking about doing a chop myself. Are there shops that can perform chops? Or do you have any tips?
I was planning on going up to 18" wheels, would that be too big? When it comes to my tires, I prefer longevity over aesthetic. Also, what is a good offset? I haven't been able to find much information on recommended offsets for off-roading.
I am planning on regearing, I saw that 5.29 was most popularly recommended. Thoughts..?

Thank you so much for all of the information! I can't wait to start researching.

Being new, I get nervous thinking about doing a chop myself. Are there shops that can perform chops? Or do you have any tips?
I was planning on going up to 18" wheels, would that be too big? When it comes to my tires, I prefer longevity over aesthetic. Also, what is a good offset? I haven't been able to find much information on recommended offsets for off-roading.
I am planning on regearing, I saw that 5.29 was most popularly recommended. Thoughts..?
You're welcome. Give my post a "like" if it was helpful. :)

I DIY most of my own mods but I didn't do the chop myself either. I had a @DrWeld do it, but that was in SoCal. For your location, there will definitely be shops, but you should also be able to find another Tacoma owner that has experience doing them pretty easily. You can ask about that in our West Coast section: https://tacoma3g.com/forums/west.22/

Nothing wrong with 18" wheels at all. They look quite good on @Victory4x4's truck, actually.

As far as offset goes, I'm actually not sure because I'm still running the stock wheels with my 35s.

And yes, 5.29s would be your go-to gearing for the 35s.

Back