• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tire brand/size suggestions for TRD wheels

TannerRay

3️⃣ Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2017 TRD OR DCSB Manual
Magnetic Gray
So I bought my 2017 offroad at the end of 2018 so I am still new to the truck life. I have had my eye on the TRD pro wheels since I bought the Tacoma and now that I got some money back on my tax return I have some extra money to put into tires and wheels. There is a pair on craigslist I have been talking with the owner about and they are 17" X 7". A lift is not in the budget but I would like to put the biggest tire I can on those wheels w/out rubbing and or having to trim cut etc. Just wanted to see if anyone has a similar set up or has any suggestions on how big to go on tires and also any preferred brand or place to buy them?

This may be helpful for size

Brand is another story that really comes down to what you plan on doing and personal preference. Can always purchase after you figure that out

So I bought my 2017 offroad at the end of 2018 so I am still new to the truck life. I have had my eye on the TRD pro wheels since I bought the Tacoma and now that I got some money back on my tax return I have some extra money to put into tires and wheels. There is a pair on craigslist I have been talking with the owner about and they are 17" X 7". A lift is not in the budget but I would like to put the biggest tire I can on those wheels w/out rubbing and or having to trim cut etc. Just wanted to see if anyone has a similar set up or has any suggestions on how big to go on tires and also any preferred brand or place to buy them?
The exact same tire coming off your truck , go to a bigger size tire when you are able to lift there is no point going to a big tire right now have it rub on everything,

This may be helpful for size

Brand is another story that really comes down to what you plan on doing and personal preference. Can always purchase after you figure that out
That is very helpful thank you. Im a beginner to the truck life so I am not sure yet the extent of what I would like to do I was just thinking of going for a basic off road look. I wont be doing anything too crazy but I would like to be able to go off trail occasionally. I do a lot of camping/hiking and will be taking it on the beach this summer. In the winter I snowboard often so I would like something that would handle weekend trips to the mountain in snow storms a little better even though the stock set up did fine.

That is very helpful thank you. Im a beginner to the truck life so I am not sure yet the extent of what I would like to do I was just thinking of going for a basic off road look. I wont be doing anything too crazy but I would like to be able to go off trail occasionally. I do a lot of camping/hiking and will be taking it on the beach this summer. In the winter I snowboard often so I would like something that would handle weekend trips to the mountain in snow storms a little better even though the stock set up did fine.

265/70/17. You won’t have any issues if that’s what you’re gonna do. You see a lot of 33+, but it depends on your need. There’s pros and cons each way. I have the same wheels w/ 265/70/17 and they haven’t let me down yet. I just stick to the easier roads for now.

Did you check for wheels for sale on the forum? I think I just saw a set of Pro wheels posted.

Actually got a set yesterday for 700 on craigslist yesterday so now i just need to get some tires on them. i wanna go with Ko2 but they’re $$. at my local sams club, i was quoted 760$ mounted out the door for those but I’m also considering going with the pirelli scorpion at plus. i was quoted 550 out the door mounted and everything. so i’m just tryna decide if i wanna stretch for the ko2 or if i can shop around and find them a little cheaper.

Attachments

• 4C2A33FD-8E12-4562-87A0-5BDB07D3C88D.jpeg
    4C2A33FD-8E12-4562-87A0-5BDB07D3C88D.jpeg
    265.5 KB · Views: 114
  • 844BF530-8AD1-4855-89AD-49E270E9F403.jpeg
    844BF530-8AD1-4855-89AD-49E270E9F403.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 114
Actually got a set yesterday for 700 on craigslist yesterday so now i just need to get some tires on them. i wanna go with Ko2 but they’re $$. at my local sams club, i was quoted 760$ mounted out the door for those but I’m also considering going with the pirelli scorpion at plus. i was quoted 550 out the door mounted and everything. so i’m just tryna decide if i wanna stretch for the ko2 or if i can shop around and find them a little cheaper.
I would say no to ko2 there nothing special and from what I heard there onroad performance is not the greatest especially wet performance
Personal experience when I owned a pair for a short while the tire wore out quickly .

Haven't seen anybody running pirelli .

Falken wildpeak is a great choice on and offroad
Cooper discovery sxtmaxx, at3 ,slt pro
Heard nothing but stellar reveiws on and off road
Just my 2 cents
Man you guys lucky tires so cheap in the USA
33/12.50/R17 bf km3
432.28cdn x4= 1729.12+87.46gst+122.44pst+20.00 disposal = 1959.02 cdn then installation on top

Converted to USD
323.00usd
323.00x4=1292.00 usd (tires only)
not including taxes , environmental fees , and installation as I don't know what your state would be

5years ago when I had my 4runner I put 33x12.50xr15 falken wildpeaks and at that time there where 460CDN per tire before all the taxs

Last edited:
I would say no to ko2 there nothing special and from what I heard there onroad performance is not the greatest especially wet performance
Personal experience when I owned a pair for a short while the tire wore out quickly .

Haven't seen anybody running pirelli .

Falken wildpeak is a great choice on and offroad
Cooper discovery sxtmaxx, at3 ,slt pro
Heard nothing but stellar reveiws on and off road
Just my 2 cents
Man you guys lucky tires so cheap in the USA
33/12.50/R17 bf km3
432.28cdn x4= 1729.12+87.46gst+122.44pst+20.00 disposal = 1959.02 cdn then installation on top

Converted to USD
323.00usd
323.00x4=1292.00 usd (tires only)
not including taxes , environmental fees , and installation as I don't know what your state would be

5years ago when I had my 4runner I put 33x12.50xr15 falken wildpeaks and at that time there where 460CDN per tire before all the taxs

Man thats crazy prices. but thanks for the info, I think I will hold off on the KO2 then price seems to be up there for those anyways. I'm gonna get some quotes on the falkens and coopers as well and prob just go with the cheapest out of those. and if none of them come close or beat out the pirellis at 550 Im not afriad to try those out too. Theres not many out there but the reviews on them are all pretty good, mostly read it did well on road and said did better than expected off road which makes sense and is fine for me since i mostly on the road but want just want the capabilty to go off.

Man thats crazy prices. but thanks for the info, I think I will hold off on the KO2 then price seems to be up there for those anyways. I'm gonna get some quotes on the falkens and coopers as well and prob just go with the cheapest out of those. and if none of them come close or beat out the pirellis at 550 Im not afriad to try those out too. Theres not many out there but the reviews on them are all pretty good, mostly read it did well on road and said did better than expected off road which makes sense and is fine for me since i mostly on the road but want just want the capabilty to go off.

Falkens have treated me well so far.

Back