• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Tinted Windows On Taco, What % You Have?

Haq_79

3️⃣ Silver
Tacoma3G Supporter
Reaction score
2018 TRD OR DCSB Auto
White
So the tint place told me my back windows are actually not tinted but dyed to 26% so i was not sure what would look good on my truck, i just went all around 30% on all 4 windows and not my back glass because i am getting a shell soon. What are you guys running % on your tinted windows?

DV2018-171.jpg

15% front sides, 20% everything in the rear. The rear is a bit lighter of a tint than the front sides to compensate for the stain you mentioned. In real life they look matched.

I had Excel IRP 22% on the sides and rear and 50% on the entire windshield in my '16.

My '18 came pre-tinted by the dealership and looks to be about 32% sides and rear, with nothing on the windshield of course.

I'm not a fan of super dark tint, but I do wish it was a bit darker on the new truck.

DV2018-171.jpg

15% front sides, 20% everything in the rear. The rear is a bit lighter of a tint than the front sides to compensate for the stain you mentioned. In real life they look matched.
that looks great! here in washington state i guess the legal limit is 30% and i dont want any darker cause i have trouble seeing at night and dont want any cops stopping me. i wonder what what shell tint is going to be now that i see yours.

oh cool! we've had some crazy 100+ heat here in so cal and this tint helped keep things cool

I actually saw your video on youtube before posting this lol looks great and thanks for the info!

that looks great! here in washington state i guess the legal limit is 30% and i dont want any darker cause i have trouble seeing at night and dont want any cops stopping me. i wonder what what shell tint is going to be now that i see yours.

The legal limit here in California is nothing on the front sides.????

Edit: @SDyota_66 informed me I'm incorrect. I'm actually happy to report that the law in CA was recently changed. I had no idea.

[CA DMV Website]
  • Windshield allows transparent strip on top 4 to 5 inches
  • Front side windows must pass through more than 70% of light inside your car (70% VLT)
  • Back side windows and rear window can have any darkness[/Quote]

Last edited:
curious....anyone do the sun roof and/or windshield?

We had 70% on the front windshield. Unfortunately a lone rock went ahead and screwed that pooch. I liked it. It was definitely dark at night but not dangerous. In the sun it was great. Kept the heat down in the truck for sure.

Here's a pic the day we got the tint done...

IMG_20170711_140932839.jpg

And one where you can see the front tint.

IMG_20171217_120609805_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
As far as I know, Cali law is the front side windows must allow 70% light to pass through.

Holy shnikes you're right!! I had no idea it had changed. I'm actually excited to be incorrect. Haha

CA DMV Website said:
  • Windshield allows transparent strip on top 4 to 5 inches
  • Front side windows must pass through more than 70% of light inside your car (70% VLT)
  • Back side windows and rear window can have any darkness

I had my last windshield tinted 50% and I liked it a lot. Barely noticeable from the inside most of the time, not too dark at night and just enough during the day. It did seem to help keep the interior temps down a bit and gave the truck a nicer look overall. I was terrified of chips and cracks because I didn't want to pay to have it redone :ROFLMAO:

img_20170220_200940-1216x684-jpg.1388084

I just got Rayno S9 nano ceramic film on my entire truck.

70% windshield
30% front driver and passenger windows
15% all rear windows

I am super happy with it and can actually tell the different with how much it blocks the heat from entering the cabin these past few days with it being almost 100 degrees here in SoCal.

Has anyone heard of sunroofs exploding on tacomas? The tint shop I'm going to now makes you sign a waiver if they tint the sunroof. I've seen sunroofs pop on newer VW passats, but that issue was due to automatic car washes, not tint.

Has anyone heard of sunroofs exploding on tacomas? The tint shop I'm going to now makes you sign a waiver if they tint the sunroof. I've seen sunroofs pop on newer VW passats, but that issue was due to automatic car washes, not tint.
Not a thing

I have 20% on all windows and 50% on the windshield. It’s pretty dark, but not as dark as it looks in pictures.

Attachments

• A037EA50-3947-4841-8E72-7B0B7BC1075F.jpeg
    A037EA50-3947-4841-8E72-7B0B7BC1075F.jpeg
    504.6 KB · Views: 767
I would like to go darker then what came factory but I heard it’s more expensive if you have pre-existing tint, is this true?

I would like to go darker then what came factory but I heard it’s more expensive if you have pre-existing tint, is this true?

There should not be any kind of extra charge for the pre-existing factory tint. The tint that comes from the factory is not a film that sits on top of the glass like what you will be getting installed; it is inside so they dont have to remove anything to install new tint. If that makes any sense.

At the time I still wasn’t sure what restrictions the installation had regarding tint since I drive on base every day. Decided to go with Lumar 35% on the front driver and passenger, kept the rear oem, and did a clear uv film on the windshield. Looking back at it now, I wanna go with 20% up front and 35% on the windshield like I did on the wife’s 4runner

So the tint place told me my back windows are actually not tinted but dyed to 26% so i was not sure what would look good on my truck, i just went all around 30% on all 4 windows and not my back glass because i am getting a shell soon. What are you guys running % on your tinted windows?
for me I just did the fronts to match the rear was cheaper that way and it came out awesome

C928893C-E21E-4506-96ED-8C8472E8754B.jpeg
I decided to do carbon 18% front windows & 5% rears. Loving it so far.

I went with WINCOS IR Film Tint, 15% front 20% back. May need some front Tint, maybe the clear IR tint.

Just had the front two windows tinted at 20% to match the factory rear. From the outside looking in you can't tell a difference in darkness. From the inside looking out the front two windows look darker than the rear two. I'll be going back to darken the rear (factory rear smoked glass is about ~26% VLT).

Current Tint:
- Front two windows @ 20%
- Rear windows @ factory
- Windshield @ factory
- Sunroof @ factory

51E69156-2197-47A6-B6B7-F081E43E650A (1).jpgA50DA355-5115-459F-8ED7-4A97DB4A8075.jpg

New Tint:
- Front @ 20%
- Rear windows @ 35% over the factory tint
- Windshield @ 70%
- Sunroof @ 70% over factory tint

7C191DC8-60CE-4E6A-AB6B-F8F38E4D5FE3.jpeg

Last edited:
Back