• Welcome to Tacoma3G.com, a free resource for 2016-2023 Toyota Tacoma owners!

This website is the passion-project of a USMC veteran/mechanic, @Tyler. I created Tacoma3G.com to share my knowledge of this subject with others and to provide like-minded folks with a comfortable space to ask questions and create 'build threads' within our Tacoma Forums. Now, if the format of this website is confusing to navigate for you, or if you're interested in my full mission and T3G's history, check out the Help and About pages.

Throttle controllers

TacomaJohn2018

2️⃣ Bronze
Reaction score
2018 Limited DCSB Auto
Magnetic Gray
New to the forum & new owner of first 2018 Tacoma. Have noticed the throttle lag when first starting off the line. Has anyone have any experience with or have tried any of the throttle controllers that are out there? Are you happy with the purchase? Any chance of voiding your warranty?

Yes, very common. Many will advise for the OV Tune, and I agree. I'm saving up for this currently. They run about $400-500 if you get it installed from a rep.

Throttle boxes (think Pedal Commander) are a gimmick and if they fail, will leave you with ZERO control until you remove it from the circuit. Only device worth a flip is from Banks and I don't think they make one for Toyota trucks.

Invest in the OV Tune. Prices are reasonable depending on location. I paid 250 for mine. Get it done... you'll enjoy your truck even more.

Would getting a tune done do you know if that would void the warranty? I have 5 years, 75000 left on bumper to bumper.
From what I've heard it cant be detected at the dealership. Go with a tune that doesnt push the limits. OV tune and KD max are not tweaker tunes. If a guy tells you he developed one I'd shy away from that. The two mentioned are built to perform within the trucks capabilities without destroying it.

Yes, very common. Many will advise for the OV Tune, and I agree. I'm saving up for this currently. They run about $400-500 if you get it installed from a rep.

Throttle boxes (think Pedal Commander) are a gimmick and if they fail, will leave you with ZERO control until you remove it from the circuit. Only device worth a flip is from Banks and I don't think they make one for Toyota trucks.
Oh, man - better not be a gimmick. First thing I noticed driving my Gen3 was the lag (and my first thought of wondering if I made a mistake getting rid of that bulletproof 4.0 engine in my Gen2) so I got a Pedal Commander as one of my first mods on the Gen3 back last summer.

So far, no issues. *knocks on wood

Oh, man - better not be a gimmick. First thing I noticed driving my Gen3 was the lag (and my first thought of wondering if I made a mistake getting rid of that bulletproof 4.0 engine in my Gen2) so I got a Pedal Commander as one of my first mods on the Gen3 back last summer.

So far, no issues. *knocks on wood
I understand, it's more of a it's great until it's broken and leaves you with zero throttle control on the highway. Bank's Power throttle box has a OBD plug that locks out the extra control in reverse and supplies 12v to power the module; so if the module ever goes out, it will basically fault to a bypass mode whereas your Pedal Commander will create an open circuit if it ever faults.

People happily install these and don't think long term or about failure. Gone are the days of adding zip ties to the throttle cable behind the pedal to remove slack from the cable and increase response time.

I was incorrect, Bank's Power does make a system for our trucks.

I understand, it's more of a it's great until it's broken and leaves you with zero throttle control on the highway. Bank's Power throttle box has a OBD plug that locks out the extra control in reverse and supplies 12v to power the module; so if the module ever goes out, it will basically fault to a bypass mode whereas your Pedal Commander will create an open circuit if it ever faults.

People happily install these and don't think long term or about failure. Gone are the days of adding zip ties to the throttle cable behind the pedal to remove slack from the cable and increase response time.
I'm normally the guy that is pretty good about thinking through the what-ifs but not on this decision. Didn't even occur to me that the Pedal Commander will create that open circuit if it goes bonkers - and now thinking about it, makes sense if it were to do so.

*knocks harder on wood.

I'm normally the guy that is pretty good about thinking through the what-ifs but not on this decision. Didn't even occur to me that the Pedal Commander will create that open circuit if it goes bonkers - and now thinking about it, makes sense if it were to do so.

*knocks harder on wood.
All good. I hope you don't think I was grouping you in. I definitely don't want you to think that. I was going to the majority of people, not saying just you.

All good. I hope you don't think I was grouping you in. I definitely don't want you to think that. I was going to the majority of people, not saying just you.
No worries - didn't think that at all.

I am gonna check out the Bank's Power. Maybe I can get some sucker to buy this Pedal Commander. ;)

Last edited:
Back